Advice Request AD BLOCKER or Ad Blocker extension

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

insanity

Level 5
Verified
Oct 9, 2016
uBlock Origin. It's lightweight and seems to be best extension for Chrome. Adblock Plus misses a lot of popups on Chrome with default lists. And I don't like the business model of the company behind ABP. I think uBO is what Adblock Plus used to be. As for Adguard, it's a great piece of software, but I wouldn't pay for it when there's uBO for free.

Huchim

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Oct 17, 2015
Ublock Origin with adguard filters :). Even there is a new Adguard base filter and also it offers the annoyance filter in theil default list.

I commonly use "I'm advanced user" to get rid some pages where I'm unable to copy text, adblock warnings and very rarely pop ups not blocked (this with "alternate pop pup" option). Those are the reasons why I use Ublock Origin in chrome (With UBO extra)

If you want to get rid ads on all browsers or some softwares as spotify you can edit your host file with Steven Black's host list. I used in the past and you can have some unexpected blocks from some websites and you have to manually update it (but I use their automated update and I managed with window's task scheduler) somehow I decided not to keep using that kind of "anti-adblock".

Other option is to use Emsisosft Anti-malware and activate their privacy host list in the surfer protection, this blocks some ads on all browser and programs (tip: import MVS host or Peter-lowe's Ad list)

tonibalas

Level 40
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 26, 2014
I had Adguard desktop but i removed because it was slowing down my browsing speed.
On Cent i have Adguard extension.
On Nightly i have Adblock Ultimate because Adgurd isn't compatible with Nightly yet.
Although ublock origin is but at the moment i don't use because it's to aggresive for my taste.
As you can see Adguard is my favorite adblocker at the moment.
When a new version of the Adguard desktop is released i will try it out again to see if the problems i have seen lately are gone.

browneylad

Level 2
Verified
Sep 27, 2017
I use 4 adblockers together, been using ublock origin, adguard & privacy badger then recently started using tunnelbear blocker in chrome. Bit overkill is not it esp considering how privacy badger works? Chrome does get a little slow but it still runs better than my firefox, which has ublock+adguard but absolutely crawl. Our Indian news sites are filled with ads so I use several together. I do try out new extensions frequently.

L S

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Jul 16, 2014
I use 4 adblockers together, been using ublock origin, adguard & privacy badger then recently started using tunnelbear blocker in chrome. Bit overkill is not it esp considering how privacy badger works? Chrome does get a little slow but it still runs better than my firefox, which has ublock+adguard but absolutely crawl. Our Indian news sites are filled with ads so I use several together. I do try out new extensions frequently.
In uBlock Origin you can put All Filters ON (from adguard, adblock, adblock plus, disconnect and many many more) soo you won't need this much AdBlock's Extensions in One Browser together, they use to much memory, = the uBlock Origin will do All the Job, = For Very Little Memory Usage than Before. Greteengs. :)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.