Advice Request AD BLOCKER or Ad Blocker extension

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
Nice to hear from you but as part of adguard dns filtering, the database is updated every 4 days or maximum after each week as per the adguard support team, whereas the adgaurd extension is updated on real time basis.
Even if filters were updated like once a year, it is not really problem, the main stuff is blocked (Google, etc), the rest does not matter that much.
On the side note, AdguardDNS support is nonexistent. In comparison, if I report a webpage to OpenDNS, it is blocked within minutes, hours at most.

Also the extension version works faster than dns version since if we make use of dns service it will cause the internet to run slowly as compared to extension , because in that case all the traffic is run/ filetred through the third party dns server.
Not on my computer, it is super fast, using adguard extension instead of DNS is noticeably slower. This webpage even thinks, that I am a bot. :ROFLMAO:

Attachments

• capture_09302017_155035.jpg
    capture_09302017_155035.jpg
    151 KB · Views: 517

Shocker

Level 1
Verified
Dec 15, 2013
ublock is the best but sometimes it does not block everything so i use ublock + adguard but also trying out newer addons in the market to see if they are on the same level

Last edited:
Reactions: Prorootect

Terrip Rent

Level 1
Oct 10, 2017
ublock origin is the best. Blocks virtually all ads and even allows custom filter. The deal breaker for me was not because of how effective its ad-block is but rather because it uses much less memory compared to the rest (looking at you Adblock Plus). I'm someone that opens so many tabs so yeah, it's a problem I had with Adblock Plus. Some of you might not realize this, but try using your Chrome Task Manager to see just how much RAM your ad blocker uses after opening decent number of tabs. You might begin to wonder if it' just an ad blocker! :D

Reactions: frogboy

Prorootect

Level 69
Verified
Nov 5, 2011
Recently, I use:

In Firefox: Policeman + Adguard AdBlocker add-ons.
On my test website, Policeman blocked 24 requests for ads, and Adguard AdBlocker: 9 (with Policeman disabled, Adguard AdBlocker blocked 33 ads). I don't see ads here, anymore.

Policeman - by futpib : Policeman – Add-ons for Firefox
- Policeman gives you precise control over what web requests are allowed. Create rules based on domain name and type of resource being requested. It can also be used to improve privacy or block cross-site scripts.

Adguard AdBlocker - by Andrey Meshkov : Adguard AdBlocker – Add-ons for Firefox
- Unmatched adblock extension against advertising and pop-ups. Blocks ads on Facebook, Youtube and all other websites.

☞.. and if Policeman disabled, and QuickJS on 'javascript disabled' position, then AdGuard Ad Blocker block 1 ad, and visibly the other 32 ads blocks my QuickJS!
QuickJS by eiji.anonremail : QuickJS – Add-ons for Firefox
- Enable/Disable JavaScript with Toolbar button.
This is a lightweight alternative to NoScript.
No configuration, just a button for the global Java Script permission (also found under Options > Content > Enable Java Script).
It will affect the parsing for all tabs and all domains.

In Chromium forks (CENT Browser, Slimjet, Iron, Opera): ContentBlockHelper, ScriptSafe, Content-aware Ad Blocker, ZenMate Web Firewall extensions.
On this same test website, ContentBlockHelper blocked 138 requests, ScriptSafe 26, Content-aware Ad Blocker 11 (then +2 after each restart of the website:cool:), and ZenMate Web Firewall 11. I don't see ads here, nothing bad.
So it's OK, that Poper Blocker says: Looking good - so far no pop-ups were found on ...);)

Download links to ContentBlockHelper and ScriptSafe Chrome extensions you have in the 'Block Iframes Redirections' topic: Block Iframes Redirections
- 'Content-aware Ad Blocker' - offered by Tom W Yedwab (= samuelhkahn.github.io/capstone_page/): Content-aware Ad Blocker
- look too for its description in the MT topic: The First Artificial Intelligence Chrome Extension: The First Artificial Intelligence Chrome Extension
- 'ZenMate Web Firewall (Free, Plus Ad Blocker)' offered by zenmate.com : ZenMate Web Firewall (Free, Plus Ad Blocker)

Last edited:

Prorootect

Level 69
Verified
Nov 5, 2011
Websites/Pages with lots of ads found!

- It's not me who says so, but AdGuard AdBlocker, on Firefox: 101 ads!
And it cannot display this number on its icon, - but by putting the sign of infinity instead... never seen!

- With disabled Javascript (with QuickJS...), AdGuard block number: 45!

This website I found - it's home page of moreaboutadvertising. com: More About Advertising | Insights into Advertising

So take your findings, to put them in this topic, please - and then to test your adguard adblock defenders...

Gift:
Opt Out of Interest-Based Advertising : on networkadvertising.org: http://optout.networkadvertising.org/#!/

Last edited:

Prorootect

Level 69
Verified
Nov 5, 2011
"SURPRISES YOU WON’T SEE ANYWHERE ELSE.":cool:
"Not all websites have popups."

Do you know - that pop-up test on the Pop up blocker for Chrome™ - Poper Blocker extension Welcome page is an false pop-up? It's NOT an popup?
Here you have this test Welcome page of Poper Blocker: Welcome - Poper Blocker
- then make (on Chrome browser) on this "Test popup" button right click/inspect and you are on developer tools page, which spoke about "elementor-button-content-wrapper", and "elementor-button-text".

On Google I found this elementor link: Elementor.com: Elementor ★ Page Builder for WordPress
"Elementor is a front-end drag & drop page builder for WordPress.Elementor lets you design any website, on any theme. It's free and easy, get it now!"

On another link: wordpress.org/plugins/elementor/ : Elementor Page Builder
- we read:
"SURPRISES YOU WON’T SEE ANYWHERE ELSE.
With Elementor’s unique features, you can create websites that have that certain ‘designer touch’. Among our page builder features are: Box Shadows, Background Overlays, Hover Effects, Headline Effects, Animations, Shape Dividers, Gradient Backgrounds and much more."

Hmm, Poper Blocker way of advertising is very shady.
Surprises, surprises...

Look at this nice popups example: on bloomberg.com: https://www.bloomberg.com/features/2015-click-fraud/img/bannerdivider1.gif
Yes, it's .gif banner divider... very moving, restless, eventful.
Poper Blocker says: Looking good! So far no popups were found on bloomberg.com... Yes, this is .gif OK.

But this small tiny extension forbid easily these .gif: "Hide GIFS I'm Reading": Hide GIFS I'am Reading
- offered by awesome.hu - Version: 0.0.2 Updated: December 20, 2013 Size: 40.0KiB

Another Chrome extension, "7 Times Faster", too no problem here, it forbid instantly these .gif: 7 Times Faster
offered by radventsolutions, Version: 1.0.1.7 Updated: November 27, 2017 Size: 1.32MiB

- But AdGuard has an problem with this test page from bloomberg.com...

- Have you another ad-blocking extension which works good with my .gif test page, please?

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.