Votes: 65 95.6%
  • No!

Votes: 3 4.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
W

Wave

your personal opinion should not be able call a system at risk! right?
Your personal opinion/decisions are not always secure. Our opinion is our own point of view, however our opinions do not become facts; in terms of security, there will be a bad way and a good way - this can be applied to ad-blockers, where to stay more secure an ad-blocker will be beneficial.

No one says you have to use one, and when people reply to configuration threads they are just suggesting ideas. You don't have to comply with them, it's meant to be an advice-based system to help you find new software you like or make better decisions to improve your overall security.

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
Source?

Please don't confuse Staff with members, and MalwareTips is a community, not a dictatorship. We also share our own personal opinions on certain subjects, which may differ to your views.
Spawn is right,
and answer me this, has anyone here intimidated you ?, or threatened you, or pushed you into doing something you would not normally do ?
I think not, and hopefully you are mature enough to think for yourself.
Some people (members) have strong opinions, and a group with strong opinions can be a little overwhelming and
seem a little scary. If you ever need to talk I am here ;)
Ok, fine nuke it Spwan :p

sudo -i

Level 4
Verified
Jan 17, 2017
OT: While I don't think that the Security Configuration guidelines to gaining a "Secure" or "Risky" tag is unfair, I do think the ideals that it has instilled in the members on the forum is... annoying to say the least. If one person recommends that you add a second opinion scanner, or useless browser extensions, that is opinion. If 10 other people post THE EXACT SAME THING right after that one person, it becomes obnoxious and pushy. If your suggestion has been mentioned, move on and don't pile on, because that's when a person feels 'forced' to make a change.

aragornnnn

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 18, 2016
I got infected with Adsickness about a year and a half ago, i was seeing alot of screenflashes, wierd sound's out of nowhere,
crazy colored windows poping up here and there when i was browsing.

So a few headaches later i went to my doctor, he advised me a program called "Adguard" since then my browser was cleaner then ever before.
No more headaches for me.

If you have any of the symptoms above you should try Adguard, seriously things will change if you do trust me :D

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
also install popup blocker (strict)
I use adaware adblocker and it includes pop-up blocker, but haven't been able to test it out yet. Could be something you could have a look at and compare?

upload_2017-2-10_23-42-9.png

Rolo

Level 18
Verified
Jun 14, 2015
If you argue that ad revenue keeps content available then you also have to acknowledge all the garbage that's just click-bait, junking up the 'net even more.

Ads aren't just annoying, they are distracting. I can't read an article when there are flashing banners trying to convince me to refinance my mortgage or look up classmates. I tried to whitelist sites I like but it's impossible; therefore, there are only two choices: I stop using the site completely or I can use the site, block the ads, and refer others to the site because it's a good site, worthy of one's limited time.

You also have to acknowledge "Reading mode" ("Distill Page" on Chrome) feature in browsers that use semantic tags to only display the article--no sidebars, no ads, no fake "top stories"...just the actual content. The Pocket (Read It Later) extension works the same way.

Likewise, "privacy" does the same "damage" to this revenue for two reasons: it disables the ability to target ads and it precludes the analytics that feeds Big Data..that modern-day oracle that says "people who like this also like that" and such.

Personally, I don't care about the "privacy" bit since it isn't personal; therefore, privacy is a misnomer here. They also use it to improve sites and services, so one could argue that those who block it are hindering progress. (I leave that stuff blocked just to prevent them from slowing down my page loads...I've seen far too many "Waiting for response from google-analytics.com" to put up with it.)

XhenEd

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 1, 2014
I use a content blocker, uBlock Origin (dynamic filtering enabled). I use it because: first and foremost, speed/responsiveness the browser gains; second, security; third, to get rid of annoying popups/ads; and fourth, privacy. :D

So, privacy isn't totally my concern, but speed. :D

When a new Adguard version is released, I may come back to using it because I have a lifetime license. :D

Last edited:

DJ Panda

Level 30
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 30, 2015
I wanted to apologize to everyone in the thread. Past few days have been a nightmare for me. I get constant migraines and schools has given me a lot of anxiety. I realized it was in-professional of me to lash out at quite a few users. Even with my said medical stuff there is no excuse for the way I acted. The thread and majority of my posts (regardless the topic) is more of my opinion. If you don't like my opinion, there is nothing wrong with you, same with if you had an opinion or fact which I disagreed with. (Can be quite rash too :p) My point is that I'm sorry that I was rude and hopefully we can make a fresh start. Agree to disagree!

Thanks everyone!

-JGamez

Rolo

Level 18
Verified
Jun 14, 2015
I wanted to apologize to everyone in the thread. Past few days have been a nightmare for me. I get constant migraines and schools has given me a lot of anxiety. I realized it was in-professional of me to lash out at quite a few users. Even with my said medical stuff there is no excuse for the way I acted. The thread and majority of my posts (regardless the topic) is more of my opinion. If you don't like my opinion, there is nothing wrong with you, same with if you had an opinion or fact which I disagreed with. (Can be quite rash too :p) My point is that I'm sorry that I was rude and hopefully we can make a fresh start. Agree to disagree!

Thanks everyone!

-JGamez
Maybe it's those flashing ads. :D

hehe

Seriously, though, I didn't see that you came across unseemly at all whatsoever, in this or the other thread.

reboot

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Jan 27, 2017

Thanks everyone!

-JGamez

I never found you rude. I respect the fact that you have strong opinions on the subject and that your heart is in the right place.

I also believe that if you are open to new learnings and could consider other possibilities you may feel completely different about how you currently support your favourite content providers.

If I am incorrect then I am very happy to agree to disagree agreeably! :)

D

Deleted member 2913

Thanks everyone!

-JGamez
You deserve a severe punishment:D...1 month, Adguard or uBlock Origin use with default filters And no ads/websites exception/whitelist :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.