Level 22
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 5, 2017
Hi all malware tips members
i hope this post find you well in such bad COVID-19 pandemic
kindly i have a suggestion to add Network security related topics forums to discuss different topic related to network configuration
i have basic structure for this forums as follows:
Section name :Network Security

subsection names :
  • Hardware Firewall "This topic related to famous hardware firewall/their recommended configurations/tutorials"
SOPHOS
Fortinet
CISCO
Others
  • Software Firewall: "This topic related to famous software firewall/firewall GUI management"
Windows Native firewall
Tinywall
simplewall
Malwarebyte windows firewall control
Others
each sub forum contains update/Q&A/Discuss tags
that all this basic hierarchy/design which could also edit based on other member siggestions
thanks and hope you safety

scorpionv

Level 2
Apr 20, 2020
Yep. The missing link on MalwareTips imho. Awesome information about what happens 'in the wild' and how to protect yourself from 'the wild' on device level, but network security is rarely mentioned. While almost everyone has non-configurable IOT devices or even outdated regular devices laying around. Smart lights, thermostat, door bell, security camera's, old smartphones, and so on. A network firewall can protect these devices to a certain degree.

Highly recommended.

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
Main forum already exist :
But some of it's description could probably be edited.
Open discussions for buying
Adding a specific subforum for hardware firewall, I wonder how many members actually have one. Also mixing that in general with software, I'm not so sure it's a good idea as it's a risk of confusing people. Software already has it's own main forum so start posting that elsewhere, nah I'm doubtful.

scorpionv

Level 2
Apr 20, 2020
Main forum already exist :
But some of it's description could probably be edited.

Adding a specific subforum for hardware firewall, I wonder how many members actually have one.
That's a decent approach as well, rename the forum to 'Networking / Smart home / Accessoires' or something, and maybe split the forum in 'Networking', 'Smart home' and 'Accessoires'. (Professional) network gear should not be labelled as 'Accessoires', and while (professional) network gear is smart in it's own right, it has nothing to do with a 'Smart home'. The forum title is therefore incomplete, and the description sums up a collection of topics that don't belong elsewhere.

Also mixing that in general with software, I'm not so sure it's a good idea as it's a risk of confusing people. Software already has it's own main forum so start posting that elsewhere, nah I'm doubtful.
Software firewalls can stay in the software forum imho. They protect only one device, and therefore fit perfectly next other protection software.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.