Advice Request Adding VoodooShield to Mcafee Total Security?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

LDogg

Level 33
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 4, 2018
You should do just fine with McAfee Total Protection. Fact you even get money back if any viruses found which can't be removed isn't too bad. This product looks to have most areas covered. Still download some free second opinion scanners if you have any. Such as Zemana, MBAM and/or Emsisoft Emergency Kit.

~LDogg

Last edited:
E

Eddie Morra

The new McAfee isn't so bad in my opinion. They removed the rogue-looking UI and buffed up the internals quite a bit. I am pretty sure the uninstallation is a lot better nowadays than it was with the old versions (for the record, they still bundle the old atrocious versions on some Intel-based systems).

McAfee Total Security is a full suite and should be sufficient. I don't think you need VoodooShield with it. Instead of using VoodooShield, you could just not run anything untrusted in the first place.

At the same time, it is important to remember that no matter what you're configuration is, it'll never be a replacement for your brain. If you make bad decisions, you're going to be a victim. Your configuration is there to help guide you a little bit and be a backup buddy, but it isn't there to replace your brain. Period.

You should use what you would like to use. Only you will know what you want to use. However, you should remember that more is not always better and that going overboard with your configuration will just complicate things in a bad way (normally). Keep it balanced, do not overlap things, and don't pile on things which you don't really need.

This is on the assumptions that you're a home user anyway and not a high-value target on the lookout by organised cyber-criminals.

LDogg

Level 33
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 4, 2018
At the same time, it is important to remember that no matter what you're configuration is, it'll never be a replacement for your brain. If you make bad decisions, you're going to be a victim. Your configuration is there to help guide you a little bit and be a backup buddy, but it isn't there to replace your brain. Period.

You should use what you would like to use. Only you will know what you want to use. However, you should remember that more is not always better and that going overboard with your configuration will just complicate things in a bad way (normally). Keep it balanced, do not overlap things, and don't pile on things which you don't really need.

This is on the assumptions that you're a home user anyway and not a high-value target on the lookout by organised cyber-criminals.

I agree with everything above. A home user isn't going to be subjected to sophisticated techniques that large corporations would be. Most actions are user dependent. Brain.exe still has a massive amount to play in any setup.

~LDogg

L

Local Host

When using IS and TS products, generally you don't need to fill your machine with more Software as they cover most attack vectors.

From a Home User perspective, you don't even need IS or TS products nor half of the Software everyone keeps recommending (unless you don't know where you clicking, or the machine is being used by the entire family).

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Voodoshield is a companion software, like OSArmor and a few others. So I don't see any problem with using it alongside an AV security suite.
This is just a general comment, as I am not very familiar with McAfee. From my memory, McAfee is not generally a top-scorer on most AV tests, but there are posters here saying it is has improved, so...

Al-Faqir

Level 8
Verified
Jul 24, 2018
@Vendula Kubová The old ugly interface is just there (for some reason).

Anyway, Mcafee is good (I am using it on two of my devices) but, to be honest, you’ll feel the performance hit. I don’t deny it has improved but not as expected. I don’t know if “behavioural protection” exists in Mcafee but I am quite sure it will let you down when it comes to serious malware. Give it a try and see if it fits you or not

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.