AdGuard Ad Blocker and AdGuard DNS suffer collateral damage after AdGuard VPN gets blocked in Russia

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
The problems below only affect Russian users. Still, we believe it is important to describe these problems and possible solutions to them, even if they don't concern the majority of readers.
In Russia, the fight against VPN services has long been ongoing with varying success. On July 27, blocking authorities reached AdGuard VPN. Regrettably, their methods were crude, and along with AdGuard VPN the entire adguard.com domain became unavailable for Russian users. This led to multiple issues with AdGuard Ad Blocker and AdGuard DNS service.
AdGuard Ad Blocker
We assume that the ad blocker website got caught up in the grinder of the system by mistake. However, even if this was not a deliberate effort to harm the ad blocker, there is no guarantee that this error will be fixed by blocking authorities in the foreseeable future.

Unfortunately, blocking the website affected the functionality of the apps too: e.g., checking license keys and checking for updates may not work). We will be releasing new versions to fix this as soon as possible.
AdGuard DNS
The blocking of the DNS service is no less distressing, especially for those users who specified AdGuard DNS server addresses directly in their device settings and not via the AdGuard app. For them the blocking disrupts access to the Internet. We expect to fix this in the quickest possible way.

If you specified the AdGuard DNS in your device settings and encountered this problem, here is a temporary solution. Just change the domain name in your DNS settings depending on the server you're using:

AdGuard DNS:
dns.adguard.com → dns.adguard-dns.com
AdGuard DNS Family Protection:
dns-family.adguard.com → family.adguard-dns.com
AdGuard DNS Non-filtering:
dns-unfiltered.adguard.com → unfiltered.adguard-dns.com
We are doing our best to guarantee the availability and performance of our products and services even in such conditions. To keep up with the latest news, subscribe to our social media accounts.

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
This is very sad for them. Might cost them money as well as loss of users meaning loss of revenue. But I guess this at least shows that Adguard doesn't want to be compliant with all Russian policies. Kaspersky VPN for example has to censor things in Russia that's banned by their government (which is understandable because it's hard to win against gov without facing consequences). Some people have trust issues with Adguard because of its Russian roots (Currently based in Cyprus) but they have no records of doing anything wrong/suspicious as far as I'm concerned.

Zorro

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Jun 11, 2019
From personal experience, I can only say that this did not affect the Adguard ad blocker for Windows, but there were problems opening the site and logging into your personal account, but now everything is fine.

Zorro

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Jun 11, 2019

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Also, Adguard recently released the first browser extension - an ad blocker that meets the requirements of Manifest 3. So far, the test version.
I know:

entropism

Level 4
Verified
Jul 30, 2019
Yeah, because they're still operating as if they're ESET's official forums, what, 12 years after the fact? You're not even allowed to HINT at what AV is better between choices, even if it's ClamAV vs something well regarded like Bitdefender, F-Secure, etc. If you even say "Yeah, F-Secure is a lot better" you'll have your post removed.

I can understand having to be neutral when you're the official forum of a vendor, but since they're not anymore, it's just circlejerk bullshit over there, over and over.

Hell, one of the mods has been posting weekly software version updates to a piece of software NOBODY uses, and nobody has even commented in the thread since something like early 2021. Yet every week, there he is, saying "X has updated to v 2.02020202pi97!"

Digmor Crusher

Level 23
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 27, 2018
I've been posting @ wilders since 2003, and it's nothing like it used to be. There is no discussion of security software anymore. Except for Sandboxie. The rules are too rigid there, and anyone with anything useful to add eventually got too discouraged and left.
Yup, if you go there now and click on "Recent Posts" it will bring up the 25 latest ones, 13 of them are just articles from other sites. Ugh. And I've seen times where its more than 13.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.