spaceoctopus

Level 16
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 13, 2014
A lot has changed since the first ad blocking browser extensions appeared on the market. Simply blocking ads is not enough anymore (not to say it is an easy task — advertisers are constantly learning new tricks to jam their ads past the filters). Today, big data rules the world. Tracking is omnipresent, the price of information has skyrocketed, and so has the value of privacy. People seek tools to protect it, and ad blockers need to adapt to the new demands in order to stay competitive. We understand this more than anyone, and the new AdGuard browser extension v3.0 reflects this.

LINK: AdGuard extension v3.0.0

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I have been using TunnelBear AdBlocker for the past 6 months, so coming back to AdGuard AdBlocker v3 (Chrome), I noticed these major changes in v3.

Adjustable filter update intervals
  • can be checked automatically (default: 48 hours)
Revamp of Extension settings
  • New elements and icons, better design and more appealing towards new users
  • IMO, I believe Cryptominer should be it's own category
Stealth mode
  • can destroy third party cookies after 48 hours (default: 2880 minutes)
  • hide referrer and search queries

Last edited:

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
I will ask right away, should i change my Ublock Origin for this? yes, no, hello? :sick:
It depends. Both are great extensions. If uBlock works great for you there is no need to change. If you want to try something different go ahead. Personally I use AdGuard, but have used uBlock origin and uMatrix in the past.

spaceoctopus

Level 16
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 13, 2014
@gonzalo Both are great tools for you privacy. Ublock Origin is certainly one of the best products in the adblocking category. But it's good to change sometimes and try some new stuffs. One thing that i've always liked with the Adguard extension, is that it's very good at blocking those Pop ups or redirecting pages.

soccer97

Level 11
Verified
May 22, 2014
AdGuard browser extensions have really improved.

This KB article describes how their filters and the extension work: AdGuard Filters

The updated features that @Spawn mentioned are even more of a benefit. The Malware Domains filter adds another layer of protection from Malvertising and has blocked a few redirects for me.

The company is transparent in how the extension works and I haven't experienced many browser crashes.

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016

Windows_Security

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 13, 2016
It depends. Both are great extensions. If uBlock works great for you there is no need to change. If you want to try something different go ahead. Personally I use AdGuard, but have used uBlock origin and uMatrix in the past.

I agree (y), same here.

I am using Adguard with Peter Host only and have enabled stealth option. Together with Privacy Possum Stealth mode wrenches out most of the common trackers, without needing a blacklist. Peter Low's (or Disconnect Simple Ad Filter) block most of the top 500 ad networks. When measuring third-party requests and data send (saved by blocking it) I get 80% of the ad blocking benefits with less than 3% of the blacklist rules and no website breakage (e.g. not playing video etc).

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
I like the way it is now, finally ads and trackers are separated and working, unlike before. It could replace 3-4 of my current extensions, since it even blocks CDN doamins, unfortunately it does not block WebRTC as promised, that makes me wonder, what else is rotten there?! :unsure:

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

Finally, something better than uBlock.

This new Adguard is powerful, and has some very nice features that previous were only on the installed version. Saying goodbye to uBlock at this point.

PS: Gryphon Router is adding adblocking at the router level in the next firmware release.

Lord Ami

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Sep 14, 2014

This new Adguard is powerful, and has some very nice features that previous were only on the installed version. Saying goodbye to uBlock at this point.

PS: Gryphon Router is adding adblocking at the router level in the next firmware release.
Same. Gonna switch to AG 3.0 on all of my computers.
They did add some nice features and finally it is available in extension store. This means that no beta/unknown origin extension warnings :)
+ gonna install it on relatives' PC-s. Hands down the easiest to manage :emoji_clap:

dabluez98

Level 3
Verified
Oct 2, 2018
W

how is it better? Maybe its really good or the same but better - ublock with nano does the job no?

CyberTech

Level 44
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 10, 2017

Are you sure man? Should i uninstall uBlock and install Adguard on Firefox browser? any tweaks ?

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.