Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
Finally, something better than uBlock.

This new Adguard is powerful, and has some very nice features that previous were only on the installed version. Saying goodbye to uBlock at this point.

PS: Gryphon Router is adding adblocking at the router level in the next firmware release.
Can't you pi hole or something with your router and do whatever you wish?

Reactions: Weebarra

Windows_Security

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 13, 2016
I posted a feature request on AdGuard Forum. Make Adguard a lean mean advertising fighting machine.

I attached my personal blocklist I use this together with EasyList Dutch. When you want to use this blocklist of most common ad & tracking networks, do a replace for "google.nl" to "google.XX" where XX is your country's Top Level Domain (e.g. DE for Germany or JP for Japan). I use StartPage as default search engine (when you don't use it remove the section which blocks advertisements in Startpage Search Engine Results Page). Reason for using startpage is for privacy and to get a blank new tab page in Chrome (see trick in List of interesting Chrome flags thread)

Because Adguard's stealth mode does not block third-party requests as did their experimental extension Stealth Mode, I still use Privacy Possum besides Adguard's Stealthmode to block ETag-header misuse (see question 2 in AdGuard Forum post). Currently the two of them (Privacy Possum and Adguard's Stealth Mode) block all common tracking methods without needing any blacklist (because they block obfuscate the tracking mechanisms build in the browser).

__ start of rant
Post in Adguard forum and this post are the rational why I always post that large block lists in the browser extensions have limited practical use. For blocking malware use the default safe browsing option of your browser. When you want to add a blacklist, use an alternate DNS with malware and malvertising blocking. DNS services have blocklists which are many times larger than default uBlock-malware-blocklist nonsense and have the benefit that DNS blocking does not impact PC-performance.
__ end of rant

Attachments

• rules.txt
    5.3 KB · Views: 266
Last edited:

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
I posted a feature request on AdGuard Forum. Make Adguard a lean mean advertising fighting machine.

I attached my personal blocklist I use this together with EasyList Dutch. When you want to use this blocklist of most common ad & tracking networks, do a replace for "google.nl" to "google.XX" where XX is your country's Top Level Domain (e.g. DE for Germany or JP for Japan). I use StartPage as default search engine (when you don't use it remove the section which blocks advertisements in Startpage Search Engine Results Page). Reason for using startpage is for privacy and to get a blank new tab page in Chrome (see trick in List of interesting Chrome flags thread)

Because Adguard's stealth mode does not block third-party requests as did their experimental extension Stealth Mode, I still use Privacy Possum besides Adguard's Stealthmode to block ETag-header misuse (see question 2 in AdGuard Forum post). Currently the two of them (Privacy Possum and Adguard's Stealth Mode) block all common tracking methods without needing any blacklist (because they block obfuscate the tracking mechanisms build in the browser).

__ start of rant
Post in Adguard forum and this post are the rational why I always post that large block lists in the browser extensions have limited practical use. For blocking malware use the default safe browsing option of your browser. When you want to add a blacklist, use an alternate DNS with malware and malvertising blocking. DNS services have blocklists which are many times larger than default uBlock-malware-blocklist nonsense and have the benefit that DNS blocking does not impact PC-performance.
__ end of rant
What alternative DNS with malware and malvertising blocking do you recommend?

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
can't WebRTC just be turned off? Does it need extension?
You can turn it off in Firefox, but in Chrome, you need an extension. Adguard still leaks my local and public IP. :cautious:
But I have decided to switch to it anyway, because it is run by a trustworthy company and I replaced 3 extensions by it:
Youtube adblocker, privacy badger, I do not care about cookies. I am still thinking about decentraleyes and poperblocker.
If they would add more options to cookies cleaning, I could get rid of cookie autodelete, but that would be asking too much.

Windows_Security

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 13, 2016
What alternative DNS with malware and malvertising blocking do you recommend?
Not an expert on DNS. I used Norton DNS, simply because it was a big name doing well in tests. When I heared that Norton extension (based on this data) was phased out I switched to Quad9. Chosing quad9 was also because it did well in a test I read somewhere and Quad9 gets its security info from 19 partners from which I recognised, IBM, Abuse.ch, Netlab and F-Secure. Making the simple conclusion that when it scores reasonably well in a tests and is backed with some reputable names it would be okay to use :confused: But I am open to suggestions :)

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
Making the simple conclusion that when it scores reasonably well in a tests and is backed with some reputable names it would be okay to use :confused: But I am open to suggestions :)
Big names behind it are, what makes quad9 questionable (UK in particular), when talking about privacy, but as far as security goes, it is OK.

But have you tried 1.1.1.1.? Then again, it is a government/police backed vs a corporation backed DNS, not exactly black and white choice.
I prefer corporate Neustar, since they focus on max performance and security, while governments have usually other interests in mind. :sneaky:

LDogg

Level 33
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 4, 2018
I think Trace could easily compliment Adguard 3.0. Thoughts?

Edit: how good is this extension for blocking popups? As I currently have Poper Blocker this? I may uninstall uBo & Poper. :p

~LDogg

Last edited:

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
Edit: how good is this extension for blocking popups?
It is not, I believe it uses a blacklist for popups and that is it. I really wish, they would at least consider adding an option to block iframes.

It seems, that it wants to block the whole internet, breaking webpages in the process, no wonder it has less users now than a year ago.

LDogg

Level 33
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 4, 2018
It is not, I believe it uses a blacklist for popups and that is it. I really wish, they would at least consider adding an option to block iframes.

It seems, that it wants to block the whole internet, breaking webpages in the process, no wonder it has less users now than a year ago.

- Wish this wasn't the case for Popups, hoping to try and get all extension where I can at least take two away.

- Trace for me doesn't break webpages if configured correctly. I've had no problems with Trace whatsoever.

~LDogg

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

Can't you pi hole or something with your router and do whatever you wish?

Certainly. But even at the router/DNS level you need an adblocker to format pages correctly or there will be gaps and empty blocks since the router/DNS level isn't manipulating pages themselves. So it is recommended to compliment those solutions with a minimum adblocker. Usually I use uBlock with just Easylist for page formatting.

In the next FW update Gryphon will natively block all ads/tracking should you select that option.

Azure

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 23, 2014

Edit: how good is this extension for blocking popups? As I currently have Poper Blocker this? I may uninstall uBo & Poper. :p

~LDogg
Trace and Adguard may have settings that overlap. You will need check both and see which to disable on Trace.

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
It seems, that I was too quick to trust adguard again. Some webpages take forever to load, if they manage to load at all. :(

Attachments

• capture_03102019_200903.jpg
    capture_03102019_200903.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 339
Reactions: oldschool

Windows_Security

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 13, 2016
Big names behind it are, what makes quad9 questionable (UK in particular), when talking about privacy, but as far as security goes, it is OK. ....
I prefer corporate Neustar, since they focus on max performance and security, while governments have usually other interests in mind.

What is your source to question it? Privacy policy has an exception option, but Dutch 'dragnet' law requires this from any IPS - DNS provider. Neustar being US based, is bound to provide the same info when US governmental bodies require this. So why is privacy of Quad9 worse than Neustar? I also don't understand the reference to "governments have usually other interests in mind", since Quad9 is a private non-profit organization.

Quad9 said:
Many nations classify IP addresses as Personally-Identifiable Information (PII), and we take a conservative approach in treating IP addresses as PII in all jurisdictions in which our systems reside. Our normal course of data management does not have any IP address information or other PII logged to disk or transmitted out of the location in which the query was received. We may aggregate certain counters to larger network block levels for statistical collection purposes, but those counters do not maintain specific IP address data nor is the format or model of data stored capable of being reverse-engineered to ascertain what specific IP addresses made what queries.

There are exceptions to this storage model: In the event of events or observed behaviors which we deem malicious or anomalous, we may utilize more detailed logging to collect more specific IP address data in the process of normal network defense and mitigation. This collection and transmission off-site will be limited to IP addresses that we determine are involved in the event.
[/Quad9]

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
It happened on dozens of pages already, it is random, sometimes they work, but about 5% fail. They only thing I changed today was adding adguard.
Have you tried AdGuard with optimized filters? Thats how I run AdGuard.
An option to use “optimized” filters #68
A long time ago we have added an option (turned off by default) that allows you to send us ad filters usage statistics. This statistics allows us to optimize existing filters and clean up redundant rules. But what’s more important, it allowed us to use special “optimized” filters in Adguard for iOS and Android. App performance and memory usage depends on the filters size, so it is essential to use smaller filters there.
Now you can use the same optimized filters in Adguard browser extension. If you are concerned about extension performance and memory usage it is highly recommended to try this new option.
Just look at the screenshot below. One memory snapshot is done with default filters and the other with “optimized filters”. The difference is astounding. With “optimized” filters memory usage is almost 40% lower.
e0c85692-a9e1-11e5-83ef-e5647fcafdd0.png

Memory snapshots are made in Chromium. First shows, that AG uses 17.7MB with default filters. Second, that AG uses 11.1MB with “optimized” filters.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.