AdGuard - better than AdMuncher and Adblock

Which add blocker is better: AdGuard , AdMuncher or Adblock ?

• AdGuard - adguard.com

Votes: 22 27.8%
  • AdMuncher - admuncher.com

Votes: 9 11.4%
  • Adblock - adblockplus.org

Votes: 48 60.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Well I suppose its not gonna hurt + a supplement for the combination.

Dashke

Level 1
Thread author
Feb 3, 2012
acuariano said:
can adguard run with host file also?

Sure. :)

Curious_Kiwi said:
I guess I'll stick with Adblock since AdGuard doesn't support Linux. :(

You are right, unfortunately there is no version for Linux at the moment. :(

P.S. New version came out! New languages have been added - Russian, Japanese, Portguese, German, Spanish and Serbian. First post has been edited.

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2

marzametal

Level 7
Verified
Jun 10, 2014
I used to use AdMuncher Pro ages ago, been about 6 months without it. I cannot remember the reason why I stopped it to be honest, loved the application to bits. Recently, well, in the past day or so I have been testing out Maxthon Portable. It really didn't occur to me to re-install AdMuncher Pro. I think the lack of IE 11 support did it for me (can't be bothered rolling back to v10). All in all, I am trying to put off re-installing Firefox, or even a Firefox 64bit spinoff.

So, what to try out? I gave AdGuard Free a go. Pretty damn good so far, realllllllllllly loving the sliding scale helper when you decide to manually block an ad on a page. The other bonus of AG is that it covers a crapload of browsers, both original/traditional and unique/spinoff (easy 20+ browsers as first glance). By the way, the only difference between AG free and AG paid is priority support (useful when manual rules cannot be easily created due to complex web coding (I used this feature sometimes when I had AdMuncher Pro installed)) and parental control.

I think, the difference between an installed application that guards/blocks/removes ads and an actual browser addon/extension that isn't installed directly to PC but rather to browser profile is the fact that the installed application will check everything, even the downloads... while the addon/extension version just does the website checking and compares what it sees against the blocker list. Correct me if this is incorrect, but I just remembered one of the two reasons that convinced me to stop using AdMuncher Pro... it couldn't distinguish between file downloaded from a site and web page download/display.

I'd download a file, lets say 500mb, and AdMuncher Pro would still take it into consideration. I would sit there watching some network monitoring software, and AdMuncher would increase just as much and just as fast as the downloaded file was downloading. Ugh! There is no use biyatching about this anyway, AdMuncher devs have stopped improving AdMuncher Pro v4 (rules are still updated) and the v5 version is scheduled to be released some time in the next 25 years (joke, but it is taking its sweet time... I think MS did something in IE 11 that really kicked up a friggin' fuss). Here is where AdGuard is different. It doesn't automate the above, or set it to default or make it permanent. In Settings -> Network, it provides the user with an option to automatically filter browser traffic OR to use AdGuard as a HTTP proxy.

All in all, I will go back to AdMuncher Pro when v5 comes out (lazy to roll back to IE 10), and will continue to use AdGuard Free for now. I will just try my best to keep downloads running through Internet Download Manager where possible, or just load 'em up in IE.

XhenEd

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 1, 2014
What browser are you using for AdGuard Free?
I believe that it only hides ads in Chrome. But someone said that it removes ads in Opera. I don't know with Firefox.

AdGuard's website states that AdGuard Free (the extension) only hides ads, not remove them. So there's no bandwidth saving, but you'll not encounter useless ads. ;D

Btw, I'm using AdGuard Paid. :D

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
I have been using Adblock Edge (Firefox-based browsers)for many years and have custom rules that I have added to block objects that were not available in the blocklists. It has done an excellent job because there really is no need for me to try a different adblocker and loose all of my custom rules.

I use Adblock extension on Google Chrome and so far it has done an excellent job as well. I use Fanboy Adblock and Tracking Protection on IE which also does excellent.

I can't understand why anyone would pay for an adblocker when there are so many freeware alternatives available that works just as good or even better.

Enjoy!! :D

Oxygen

Level 44
Verified
Feb 23, 2014
I have been using Adblock Edge (Firefox-based browsers)for many years and have custom rules that I have added to block objects that were not available in the blocklists. It has done an excellent job because there really is no need for me to try a different adblocker and loose all of my custom rules.

I use Adblock extension on Google Chrome and so far it has done an excellent job as well. I use Fanboy Adblock and Tracking Protection on IE which also does excellent.

I can't understand why anyone would pay for an adblocker when there are so many freeware alternatives available that works just as good or even better.

I'd rather pay for something rather than let adblock plus use up so many resources.

Terry Ganzi

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 7, 2014

You are just really cheap:D

marg

Level 12
Verified
May 26, 2014
I really don't mind static ads. Its the in your face ads that I dislike. Auto play ads are the worst IMO. I really dislike them. I use adblock plus & it does a good job in FF.

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
I already have a great system.
Then why are you worried about resource usage? if your system has the resources then use them otherwise it is wasted.
The only time you should be concerned about resource usage is when your system can't handle it or it causes your system to lag.

With my system, the resource usage from Adblock Edge is no problem at all. It should not be a problem on most newer systems with multi-core CPU and 2GB RAM or more.

Oxygen

Level 44
Verified
Feb 23, 2014
Hello everyone!

In my opinion, HTTP Switchboard is way better than any Adblocker addon/program ^^
No user has enough time
Then why are you worried about resource usage? if your system has the resources then use them otherwise it is wasted.
The only time you should be concerned about resource usage is when your system can't handle it or it causes your system to lag.

With my system, the resource usage from Adblock Edge is no problem at all. It should not be a problem on most newer systems with multi-core CPU and 2GB RAM or more.

I want everything to be light on the system even if i have a good system.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.