New Update AdGuard for Windows - Stable Updates Thread

Brahman

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 22, 2013
Version 7.13 resolved a situation that had been dragging on, the Adguard service took too long to start and made the program unusable. A reboot was required to fix it.
Use nextdns in doh ( setup procedure for windows in system level is described in nextdns settings page)mode with adguard extension or ublock, you will not see any speed drop.

monkeylove

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 9, 2014
How do you use Adguard for Desktop with an AV that has web protection? Do you exclude Adguard in the AV settings and exclude the AV in Adguard?

Reactions: Balrog

mlnevese

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 3, 2015
How do you use Adguard for Desktop with an AV that has web protection? Do you exclude Adguard in the AV settings and exclude the AV in Adguard?
Never needed to do that with ESET, Kaspersky, Avast or Bitdefender, the ones I've tested. Mostly I just disable any extensions added by the antimalware software and that avoids problems.

Balrog

Level 6
Verified
May 5, 2015
Never needed to do that with ESET, Kaspersky, Avast or Bitdefender, the ones I've tested. Mostly I just disable any extensions added by the antimalware software and that avoids problems.
I do the same. So far I have not had problems on more than one computer. I apply the same for mobile devices in my family.

Reactions: mlnevese

monkeylove

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 9, 2014

My browsing slows down when I have web protection and Adguard for Desktop running. Browsing speeds up if I use the Adguard extension and exclude Firefox in the desktop app. Meanwhile, I still use the latter to block ads in some apps.

I read that Adguard interferes with AV web protection and that one should be excluded from the other, and vice versa. I don't know if that's true, but for some reason, browsing no longer slowed down when I did, and both ad blocking and web protection continued to work.

This also reminds me of problems I had with one VPN app which had a tunneling system, where I could use it on a downloader that needs VPN while using a browser to view websites that don't need VPN but still needed to block ads. I can't remember what I did now, but I think I had to exclude the VPN app in Adguard and then include Adguard in the tunnel system for apps that don't need VPN, or something like that.

Balrog

Level 6
Verified
May 5, 2015
My browsing slows down when I have web protection and Adguard for Desktop running. Browsing speeds up if I use the Adguard extension and exclude Firefox in the desktop app. Meanwhile, I still use the latter to block ads in some apps.

I read that Adguard interferes with AV web protection and that one should be excluded from the other, and vice versa. I don't know if that's true, but for some reason, browsing no longer slowed down when I did, and both ad blocking and web protection continued to work.

This also reminds me of problems I had with one VPN app which had a tunneling system, where I could use it on a downloader that needs VPN while using a browser to view websites that don't need VPN but still needed to block ads. I can't remember what I did now, but I think I had to exclude the VPN app in Adguard and then include Adguard in the tunnel system for apps that don't need VPN, or something like that.
What you mention makes sense. Both products "intercept" web traffic using, I guess, different techniques. And although they do not conflict, the process itself carries a load for the browser or the system.

I hope I'm not talking nonsense.

Reactions: Brahman

Brahman

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 22, 2013
What you mention makes sense. Both products "intercept" web traffic using, I guess, different techniques. And although they do not conflict, the process itself carries a load for the browser or the system.

I hope I'm not talking nonsense.
Its better not to have overlapping security features from different software at a time. To get maximum performance keep the number Adguard filter lists to the minimum ( i suggest less than 6) and use a nvme ssd for os drive.

Reactions: oldschool

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
In this release we’ve fixed a few bugs that crept into the last version, including compatibility issues with NordVPN and Cloudflare WARP, and BSOD appearance issue. And of course we didn't leave out the CoreLibs and DnsLibs updates either.

Changelog​

Fixes​

• Cloudflare WARP doesn’t work when AdGuard’s DNS Module is enabled #4692
  • The adgnetworkwfpdrv.sys caused BSOD #4691
  • Nord VPN interferes with AdGuard if DNS module is enabled #4673
  • AdGuard blocks access to domains if the Use Encrypted Client Hello setting is enabled and AdGuard VPN Browser Extension is running #1751

Versions​

• Updated CoreLibs to v1.11.111 #4717
  • Updated DnsLibs to v2.1.44 #4710

mlnevese

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 3, 2015
I'm having a problem with Adguard desktop that is making me consider uninstalling it for the first time in years.

1) It's causing Nescafe Dolce Gusto page to give me an access denied error, even after setting it to my exclusions.

2) In one of the sites I need for work, it blocks online digital signing. I have to ask the site to sign a document multiple times until it finally requests my certificate's password.

I think I don't need to say neither problem happens if I completely unload Adguard and that both sites are on my no filtering exclusions. In other words, Adguard is in the way of my coffee and my work... not good :)

monkeylove

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 9, 2014
I've been experiencing BSODs, and according to the minidump analysis the problem involves adgnetworkwfpdrv.sys. I also notice that browsing's a lot faster with adblock browser addons, although I still need it for apps that don't have adblocking.

Reactions: mlnevese

monkeylove

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 9, 2014
Someone at the Adguard forum offered this suggestion to speed up browsing:

Go to settings - network

and disable enable traffic filtering.

Restart the machine, and go back to the same settings page, and enable Use Adguard as an HTTP proxy. Note the port number given in the box.

Search for proxy settings in Windows, and then run it. Activate manual proxy setup and use the ff.

address: 127.0.0.1
port: the number given in the Adguard settings

Check the option not to use it proxy server for local addresses, and then click on the save button.

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014

AdGuard for Windows 7.13.2​

In this release we’ve fixed the Blue Screen of Death (BSoD) error that occurred on some devices and updated CoreLibs.

Changelog​

Fixes​

• The processUdpPacket causes BSoD #4733

Versions​

• Updated CoreLibs to v1.11.114 #4734

This version on Github
Download via direct link

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014

AdGuard for Windows 7.14​

In this release, we have improved the efficiency and compatibility of our app by updating the WFP and TDI drivers. We have also redesigned the tray icons to give them a fresh new look. Finally, we have fixed some bugs and updated Corelibs.

Changelog​

Fixes​

• The CPU usage is high when using AdGuard VPN in Selective mode with Ad Blocker and system DNS enabled #4750
  • Incorrect detection of filtered apps when Browser Assistant is used #4680
  • An incorrect rule is suggested when attempting to unblock Stealth Mode for a request #4675
  • Unnecessary filter localhost notification when connecting to AdGuard VPN #4687
  • The context menu theme for Filtering log does not change when switching the app theme #4628
  • Finished translating Advanced settings to Russian #4704

Design​

• Updated the uninstaller icon #4599
  • Improved the settings icon in the Filtering log to appear when filtering criteria are set #4656

Versions​

• Updated CoreLibs to v1.11.118 #4762

This version on Github
Download via direct link

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014

AdGuard for Windows 7.15​

Release date: October 9, 2023

“To infinity and beyond” could be the motto of our hard-working AdGuard team. This time, we are pleased to introduce the fresh new version of AdGuard for Windows.

New HTTP/3 filtering​

One of the major updates in this version is the support for HTTP/3 filtering, powered by our CoreLibs v1.12. HTTP/3 (HTTP-over-QUIC) is the latest version of the HTTP protocol that uses QUIC instead of TCP. The QUIC network protocol offers many advantages over the TCP transport layer protocol, such as improved privacy and security, faster internet connection, and the ability to handle data packets in any order. Enabling HTTP/3 filtering also means more efficient ad blocking. You’re welcome!

Currently, HTTP/3 filtering only works in Edge and Firefox browsers. This is because Chrome has different logic for verifying QUIC and TCP certificates, which does not accept AdGuard certificates. However, this feature is available in Advanced settings for testing and debugging purposes to ensure seamless operation.

HTTP/3 support *mobile border

Annoying bugs belong in the past​

We’ve addressed a minor problem in context menus — the dark theme now appears flawless. Additionally, upon installation, you will now have five recommended ad-blocking filters readily accessible instead of just one. This upgrade will make life easier and protect you from annoying ads.

Along with other fixes, we have made several improvements to boost the overall performance of AdGuard for Windows. Previously, the application would sometimes crash due to high memory usage. However, we have addressed this issue. Also, when the internet connection was unstable or very slow, the application could behave unpredictably or even crash. Now, everything works more smoothly.

To top it all off, we have updated the WFP and TDI drivers, and as per our tradition, we have also updated CoreLibs, DnsLibs, and scriptlets to ensure even more stable operation.

JohnR

Level 2
Feb 19, 2020
Is there likely to be any conflict caused by enabling HTTP/3 filtering while using Cloudflare WARP?

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014

AdGuard for Windows 7.15.1​

Release date: October 24, 2023

This quick release addresses a critical issue affecting Firefox users. With AdGuard enabled, some websites would not load and would display the error about a potential security risk. Also, the app now uses less CPU compared to the version 7.15.

Changelog​

Fixes​

• HSTS/SSL errors in Firefox #4866

CoreLibs (Filtering engine)​

• CoreLibs updated to v1.12.83 #4866

AdGuard for Windows direct download: Release channel

Last edited:

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
This is a big update:
AdGuard for Windows 7.16
Release date: December 22, 2023

What number is the answer to the question of life, the universe, and everything? Frankly, no clue, but AdGuard v7.16 for Windows is all about 64. We’re excited to announce that our app is now compatible with 64-bit systems.

What does it mean?​

Well, most Windows computers nowadays are 64-bit, they have more resources such as processing power and memory than their 32-bit predecessors. AdGuard has been loyal to the 32-bit version, but progress marches on. It’s time to embrace 64-bit compatibility, which we hope will lead to a more responsive experience for our users and make turning filters on and off feel like pure magic.

But AdGuard still works on 32-bit computers, right?​

The trusty 32-bit machines will not be forgotten. You won’t need to download a separate installer: our system will automatically detect your computer’s bitness, allowing you to install the appropriate version.

Anything new with filtering in this version?​

Of course! Another big change is that we have improved HTML filtering. We’ve added support for selectors in HTML filtering rules, which helps block ads more effectively.

OK, what else you’ve got?​

Our latest DnsLibs brings a new feature to AdGuard for Windows: basic HTTP authentication. Why is this useful?
Those who use the DNS-over-HTTPS protocol also benefit from the features of the HTTP protocol. For instance, when using DoH, you have an authentication option that standard DNS servers simply do not have.
But what if you have a custom DNS server and you want to restrict access to it? Surely you can do it by restricting access by IP address. However, mobile devices, for example, change networks frequently. How to deal with that? This is where HTTP authentication support comes in. Using this feature in AdGuard for Windows, you can include authentication information to connect to a custom DNS server.
This feature is currently not available in AdGuard Home and AdGuard DNS, but you will be the first to know when it is!

Surely that’s it, right?​

We haven't finished yet. When it comes to HTTPS filtering, it can be difficult to сheck the original domain certificate. We’ve covered this issue in our Knowledge base. While AdGuard does (always!) verify validity, you might want to check it yourself.
To make HTTPS filtering more transparent for users, AdGuard now offers an option to view the original certificate in “Filtering log”. Here, you can check the details of any web request, see what kind of encryption AdGuard has used, and view the original certificate.

As you can see from the massive changelog, we haven’t been idle since the last release. We haven’t left the WFP and TDI drivers behind either: they’ve been freshly updated. Anyway, let’s cut the talking and go straight to updating!

Changelog​

Improvements​

• Indicate the HTTPS filtering state and the original certificate in the Filtering log #4812
  • Enhanced uninstallation process #4428
  • Improved buttons text color in installer for Active state #4887
  • Removed app shortcut to the folder in Start Menu #4834
  • Adapted the onboarding screen to the dark theme #4583
  • Packed backup files have .bak extension #540
  • Removed the second mention of the build number in the About section #4836
  • Updated the Finnish translations on the updater screen #4761

Fixes​

• Enable all option in the Filter editor can crash the app #4857
  • AdGuard doesn’t run due to an invalid signature #4864
  • The app doesn't start automatically after clean installation and reboot on Windows 7 #4760
  • Blocklist and allowlist do not work properly in Parental control #4189
  • Browser Assistant keeps working in the app excluded by full path #4723
  • DNS exclusions are not working if Fallback servers mode isn’t system default #4822
  • Long start if some domains/ports are blocked #4894
  • Multiple separators appear after the app crash #327
  • Since v7.15, the service can’t start normally if it fails to connect to 20.189.79.72:123 via UDP #4868
  • Chinese Traditional words in the Chinese Simplified description of Web of Trust #4739
  • Missing strings from the Filtering log in Crowdin #4825
  • Lost selection of multiple rules when editing filters #4474
  • A rule that has been cut cannot be inserted back into the field from which it was cut from #4859
  • Can’t add custom DNS if address contains port number #4945
  • Can’t transfer parameters related to DNS filters and license types during web reporting #4931
  • Old directories are not deleted from AppData directory #4939
  • Recent beta for Windows 11 left x32 in Startup that needs to be removed in registry #4940

CoreLibs (Filtering engine)​

• Updated CoreLibs to v1.13.108
  • Added support anti-DPI feature for Korea Telecom #1789
  • Improved usage of ECH retry_configs #1793
  • Removed an option to move a certificate #277

Improvements​

• Added !#else preprocessor directive support #1806
  • Adopted new rule priority scheme #1768
  • Changed sec-ch-ua headers to match user-agent when Stealth Mode is active #1764
  • Improved HTML filtering performance #1772

Fixes​

• Closed active QUIC/H3 connections on protection start-up on Windows #1815
  • Images are not displayed in Edge Bing Chat #1744
  • Websites using SXG have no cosmetic filtering when opened from Google search #1812
  • The filtering on the macperformanceguide.com website doesn’t work #1810
  • UDP timeout is too small in TcpIpStack #1796
  • Certificate verification fails on websites with recently updated certs #1833
  • unicode.org does not load with AdGuard for Windows #1830
  • One of the subdomains is not filtered due to different site certificates #1839
  • Connection error when visiting smartstore.naver.com in Firefox #4960

DnsLibs (DNS filtering engine)​

Improvements​

• Added basic auth for DoH endpoints #189
  • Allowed sharp comment in exact domain name rules #196
  • Allowed specifying TCP-only and UDP-only DNS upstreams #208
  • On-the-fly filtering of DoH connections #198

Fixes​

• Possible DoS attack against the local DNS proxy when it's using a plain DNS upstream #202
  • 127.0.0.1 local is incorrectly interpreted as being for all .local address, breaking mDNS #207
  • DoH is trying to use stale connection for too long #200
  • Made so that type=HTTPS requests are now filtered properly #199

Important for filter maintainers​

• Added User rules option to the filtering log #4560
  • Removed the unnecessary period in the pattern when creating a DNS rule from “Unblock” #4872
  • Filter editor: rule state shouldn’t change while editing/typing #4910
  • Incorrect behavior after exiting inline editing mode #4850
  • Incorrect behavior of the first rule in the User Rules filter #4885
  • Detect website locale based on HTML "lang" attribute and language request HTTP headers #1736
  • Increased limit for $replace rules #1802
  • Added $extension modifier disabling specific userscript #1706
  • Added support for cap_html_filtering condition #1758
  • $denyallow does not allow blocking documents #1809
  • $stealth exceptions do not work on the TCP stack level where we block STUN/TURN #1737
  • Content script is not injected into elements loaded in object tag #1769
  • Improved HTML filtering rules $$ and allowed CSS-like selectors #94

Fixes​

• The counter may not recognize the added rule #4922
  • Lost selection of multiple rules when editing filters #4918

Scriptlets (JavaScript enhancement for filtering rules)​

* Updated Scriptlets to v1.9.101

Improvements​

• Handle uBO's syntax $redirect priorities #59
  • Improved xml-prune — support xpath for text content matching #325
  • Improved json-prune — stack #348
  • Improved prevent-xhr — multiple requests #347
  • Added API method to convert redirects based on their name #346
  • Added new trusted scriptlet trusted-prune-inbound-object #372
  • Added more supported values for set-cookie #375
  • Improved set-local-storage-item, set-session-storage-item — added support “on” and “off” #366
  • Improved storage item scriptlets — added regexp support for items removing #256
  • Improved prevent-fetch — set response.status to 0 if responseType is set to opaque #364
  • Versions of used libs are now shown on the About page #2237

Fixes​

• set-constant scriptlet breaks vimeo.com #380
  • Fixed set-constant scriptlet when maximum call stack size is exceeded #373
    * Fixed set-constant — no value override #330
  • Fixed trusted-replace-xhr-response — breakage on music.youtube.com #359
  • Improved m3u-prune — content is not pruned if contains carriage return #354
  • Improved trusted-replace-fetch-response — do not replace content if URL is set by Object.defineProperty #367
  • Escaped commas in the params during conversion to uBO rules #343
  • Fixed googletagservices-gpt — setPrivacySettings() #344

UserscriptsWrapper​

* Updated UserscriptsWrapper to v1.2.21

• The 网盘直链下载助手 userscript is not working with AdGuard #1780
Direct download link:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.