Advice Request AdGuard or UBlock Origin + Bitdefender Traffic Light?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

SearchLight

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 3, 2017
AdGuard has several modules that protect against malware, phishing, and of course ads.

Running AdGuard by itself, would you be satisfied with its protection alone ,or you think that a combination like UblockOrigin + BitDefender Traffic Light would offer better Browser Protection?

If not any of these, what would you recommend?

I realize that using AdGuard runs your browsing through their servers for filtration, so I guess this may be good or bad. Your thoughts on the concept compared to the other filter extensions?

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
adguard's malware filter is so useless that I don't bother to test it anymore
adguard for desktop is better because it also has google safe browsing (30min delayed database)
still your browser or a good malware-blocking DNS can protect you much better than adguard

Upvote 0

SearchLight

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 3, 2017
adguard for desktop is better because it also has google safe browsing (30min delayed database)
still your browser or a good malware-blocking DNS can protect you much better than adguard

You seem to favor a good malware blocking DNS. Whom would you recommend to use that would not slow my browsing to a crawl?

And would I be able to use it instead of UbO and BDTL?

Upvote 0

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Adguard for desktop has DNS filtering besides those filters which are more or less identical to those of uBO

Upvote 0

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
You seem to favor a good malware blocking DNS. Whom would you recommend to use that would not slow my browsing to a crawl?

And would I be able to use it instead of UbO and BDTL?
to be honest, I don't like using DNS because it's not flexible. When it blocks your page, you can't bypass it
I prefer an extension which you can ignore the block easily and it's better

ublock+BDTL is a good combo
you can try ublock+emsisoft extension. It seems a bit better than BDTL and it consumes less resources
good DNS-es like neustar recursive dns, cleanbrowsing and quad9 can filter malware
keweon is so disappointed. Slow and unstable. malware filtering is weak

Adguard for desktop has DNS filtering besides those filters which are more or less identical to those of uBO
no, I was talking about effectiveness. adguard is not better than ublock
adguard can filter system-wise
DNS filtering is not a good option for PC but it's good for mobile devices

Upvote 0

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
BDTL also filtered searches via Google or DuckDuck Go. Does Emsisoft do the same or not necessary?
emsisoft doesn't have that feature yet and I don't think they will add it anytime soon. also, it was just launched a few days ago
BDTL is very good but it can slightly slow down your browsing speed in peak hours

this is how they work
BDTL: open a website -> BDTL stops the website temporarily and checks if it's safe/malicious -> allow/block
emsisoft: open a website -> the website is loaded, meanwhile emsisoft is checking it -> block/allow after
emsisoft doesn't slow down your browsing speed during peak hours

but you can use both if you want. I don't

Upvote 0

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
I just did swap from bitdefender to emsisoft

So my current setup is nano adblocker, emsisoft, netcraft....against phishing emsisoft needs help from netcraft and few days ago i ran some tests where bitdefender trafficlight beated netcraft in phishing

hard times to decide

Upvote 0

JM Safe

Level 39
Verified
Top Poster
Apr 12, 2015
I just did swap from bitdefender to emsisoft

So my current setup is nano adblocker, emsisoft, netcraft....against phishing emsisoft needs help from netcraft and few days ago i ran some tests where bitdefender trafficlight beated netcraft in phishing

hard times to decide
Friend your setup changes are faster than Ferrari! LOOOL :D

Upvote 0

LDogg

Level 33
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 4, 2018
I wouldn't even use Adguard as the primary threat defense for the browser if focusing on malware/viruses. I would be focused on twinning an Adblocker with Emsisoft Browser Security or MB Browser Security, with Scriptsafe. The web browser is now is one of the most common ways malware authors look to as an attack vector to infect a host machine.

Adblocking details with malvertising (malware payloaded via ads)
Script blocking will prevent malicious iFrames, Javascript codes et al from loading, also has whitelisting and a clear list of blocked domaisn so it's easier on the user to make a decision
MB/Emsisoft Browser security is self explanatory on the threat prevention.

~LDogg

Upvote 0

jetman

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Jun 6, 2017
I have Adguard Desktop on a Windows PC and don't really understand if it is providing any extra benefits above a free adblocker (such as UBlock Origin). To be hnest, I'm not convinced that it does very much and was wondering about uninstalling it.

The answers above refer to Google Safe Mode and DNS filtering using the Windows desktop version of Adguard. Can anyone help me understand what this means exactly ? Thanks.

Reactions: oldschool
Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.