Advice Request Adguard VPN?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Huchim

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Oct 17, 2015
Hello, I'm installing the new version of edge chromium and when searching among the extensions in the microsoft store I found adguard:
Anotación 2019-12-13 180243.png
when installed, it offers adguard vpn for chrome:
Anotación 2019-12-13 180711.png
Which redirects to this extension:
Anotación 2019-12-13 180540.png
Link to the extension:
Code:
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/adguard-vpn-%E2%80%94-privacy-sec/hhdobjgopfphlmjbmnpglhfcgppchgje

I couldn't find any info quickly in google, is this a legit extension? I didn't install it

Last edited:

Gangelo

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Jul 29, 2017
The VPN is still in alpha / beta, they mention this in the description. So it is too early to say if it is any good. Nevertheless, all Adguard products so far are legit ang of high quality. I've been using the adblocker (windows app, android app and the browser extension) for years.

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Announcement here

Just hope the android version can integrate the VPN into Adguard as one so solve the problem of only 1 VPN allowed on android at any one time. Well.....also hope that it's not powered by one of those non-privacy focused VPNs like Hotspot Shield VPN used by Kaspersky

Last edited:

Deletedmessiah

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 16, 2017
And this is the ace up our sleeve. The protocol AdGuard VPN will employ is, in fact, both fast and hard to detect. It is brand new, we are developing it from scratch, and no other product is using it. It's still getting polished, so it will probably get added only by the time of the official release.
This sounds interesting.

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
Just hope the android version can integrate the VPN into Adguard as one so solve the problem of only 1 VPN allowed on android at any one time.
Another advantage that we can offer to our users is that AdGuard VPN, unsurprisingly, will be able to work alongside the AdGuard mobile ad blocking apps. The struggle is familiar to any Android or iOS AdGuard user. To properly block ads on those platforms a local VPN is required; on Android you can't use two VPNs at the same time at all, on iOS not any two VPNs will work together. With AdGuard VPN, this will shortly become an ex-problem.

Cortex

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 4, 2016
I've been giving this a try on this PC, seems OK but the only thing behind the VPN is your browser, worryingly IPX.AC shows my ISP as Google (I've moved in with the devil himself) Very fast though, & seems to offer some privacy. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
I've been giving this a try on this PC, seems OK but the only thing behind the VPN is your browser, worryingly IPX.AC shows my ISP as Google (I've moved in with the devil himself) Very fast though, & seems to offer some privacy. :rolleyes::rolleyes:
Does it has a built in Kill Switch? How about server selection? What protocols are available like Wireguard, iKEv2 etc? Encryption is 256 or 512 bit AES?

Thanks

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016

What you get:
Advanced encryption
Light-speed servers
Unlimited data
No logs policy
Trusted developer
Available soon on all platforms
The subscription price is fixed and won't change for you*
*LIMITED OFFER

Protomartyr

Level 7
Sep 23, 2019
@Arequire I have it installed at the moment and it doesn't have an option to choose the protocol.
I'd be interested in reading about the custom protocol that AdGuard VPN uses. The only info I could find was:
7) AdGuard protocol. The crucial thing about our own protocol is that it cannot be distinguished from browsing. It looks just like HTTPS traffic — that’s why it’s very hard to block or simply to detect it. And on top of that, it is swift and is based on powerful mechanisms of the HTTP/2 protocol.

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
@Arequire I have it installed at the moment and it doesn't have an option to choose the protocol.
I'll wait and see if that's the case on the Windows version. Frankly, the idea of using their self-built, unaudited protocol terrifies me (remember they're not cryptography experts), so if it can't be changed I won't be purchasing their VPN.

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
All details of the new AdGuard VPN subscription system in one place:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.