Question AdGuard vs uBlock Origin browsing speed?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Which extension gives you snappier website browsing?

• Total voters
F

ForgottenSeer 97327

Even on my 10 year desktop there is no noticeable difference anymore. When I open 10 websites (most with many ads and trackers) uBO still beats AG with 180 milliseconds. My 10 year old CPU has a benchmark rating which is just below a recent Intel Pentium Gold G7400. So it wil be hard to notice the difference.

mlnevese

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 3, 2015
perhaps based on "feeling" of snappiness from the moment you click on a link to the time it starts loading to the time it fully loads
The problem of subjectively judging anything is that if you don't like it from the start or even think you shouldn't like it, because you don't like the company making it, for instance, there is a great chance you'll judge against it. If objective measuring says the difference is in the milliseconds range, then it doesn't have any practical difference you can feel.

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
uBlock seems lighter, but adguard is more polished, so it really depends on user's settings, like cosmetic filtering, etc.
perhaps based on "feeling" of snappiness from the moment you click on a link to the time it starts loading to the time it fully loads

mlnevese

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 3, 2015
Another point I completely forgot to mention in my post is that a difference measured in milliseconds may have many other sources other than the adblocker being tested, from simple internet speed fluctuations to the computer just happening to be devoting a little more processor power to some other background tasks the moment the test was made. So single point test is pointless... You could test it on thousands of web sites with all kinds of content and there would still be a significant error factor due to external reasons.

Spartan

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Apr 15, 2019
uBlock seems lighter, but adguard is more polished, so it really depends on user's settings, like cosmetic filtering, etc.

One advantage I found in Adguard vs uBlock is that it does a better job at preventing annoying popups for newsletter subscriptions.

Example, try visiting: Downloads | AIDA64

with uBlock I get a popup to subscribe to their newsletter but not with AdGuard

F

ForgottenSeer 97327

Another point I completely forgot to mention in my post is that a difference measured in milliseconds may have many other sources other than the adblocker being tested, from simple internet speed fluctuations to the computer just happening to be devoting a little more processor power to some other background tasks the moment the test was made. So single point test is pointless... You could test it on thousands of web sites with all kinds of content and there would still be a significant error factor due to external reasons.

My point was that when there is only a tenth of a second difference on a PC with 10 year old CPU with a Passmark CPU benchmark of around 6600 (which is less than a recent Pentium Gold) I doubt whether anyone with a PC exceeding the snail speeds of my desktop would ever notice it.

and the 180 milliseconds was the evarage of 10 x 5 runs (in AG-uBO cadence of AG-uBO, uBO-AG, etc)

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
ublock works faster for me
I tried both with exact same filters. ublock is compatible with all filters while adguard misreads some filters and makes some websites break
speed:
adguard: sometimes, I saw ad banners and after 0.5 second, they disappeared.
Ublock: This never happens on my laptop -> element hiding/cosmetic filtering of ublock works faster

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
One advantage I found in Adguard vs uBlock is that it does a better job at preventing annoying popups for newsletter subscriptions.

No “Subscribe” popup window when scrolling to the end of the webpage with Cookies Managed by DuckDuckGo Privacy Browser. If disabled, then it appears. As far as I know, DDGPB doesn’t use any Ad-blocking Lists, except for DuckPlayer to hide YouTube Ads.

Last edited:

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016

I don't get the popup. Make sure you subscribe the exact same filters in ublock as adguard or it will be unfair to compare

Spartan

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Apr 15, 2019
ublock works faster for me
I tried both with exact same filters. ublock is compatible with all filters while adguard misreads some filters and makes some websites break
speed:
adguard: sometimes, I saw ad banners and after 0.5 second, they disappeared.
Ublock: This never happens on my laptop -> element hiding/cosmetic filtering of ublock works faster
Best answer! Switching from AdGuard to uBlock Origin

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.