Question AdGuard vs uBlock Origin browsing speed?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Which extension gives you snappier website browsing?

• Total voters

Zappathustra

Level 2
Jul 1, 2019

Attachments

• filters.png
    filters.png
    195.2 KB · Views: 207

Spartan

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Apr 15, 2019
can you please share your settings file
PS: What is EasyList (Optimized) how does that differ from the regular EasyList?

Reactions: JB007

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
I may have commented this a few weeks ago on another thread, but on Chromium Browsers I found no difference in speed between uBO & Adguard. Adguard used to be slower before version 4 but at the moment both performs exactlty the same in terms of web page loading. uBO is still lighter in CPU & Ram usage.
On Firefox, I found uBO to be faster. I measured via the dev tools of browser.
I use Adguard in Chrome because its Annoyance filter works better with it. Once uBO start supporting all sciptlets I might switch to uBO again.

Zappathustra

Level 2
Jul 1, 2019
can you please share your settings file
PS: What is EasyList (Optimized) how does that differ from the regular EasyList?

The optimized versions are made by Adguard based on ad filters usage statistics they collected. The objective was to optimize existing filters and clean up redundant rules.
The result is (at least to me) a clean set of rules, with almost no errors. According to Adguard, “optimized” filters memory usage is almost 40% lower than regular filters. Less is more! I don't like to use too many filters.

These are the URLs you need if you want to try some of the most important optimized filters:

Last edited:

piquiteco

Level 14
Oct 16, 2022
+1 My vote goes to uBlock Origin, Adguard's annoyance rules outperform uBlock Origin, in terms of comparative speed between Adguard and uBlock on my computer they are unnoticeable. More for simplicity and for consuming less CPU and less ram memory I will stick with uBlock Origin. ;)

zkSnark

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Jan 13, 2019
One advantage I found in Adguard vs uBlock is that it does a better job at preventing annoying popups for newsletter subscriptions.

Example, try visiting: Downloads | AIDA64

with uBlock I get a popup to subscribe to their newsletter but not with AdGuard
I tested Adguard and the subscription popup was there. So staying with uBlock Origin.

Reactions: Nevi

piquiteco

Level 14
Oct 16, 2022
One advantage I found in Adguard vs uBlock is that it does a better job at preventing annoying popups for newsletter subscriptions.
Is that what you are saying about the newsletter? Yes the uBlock Origin blocks everything up to the cookies consent, I've never seen that, I had to literally turn everything off, even my DNS because it didn't show that pop-up. (y)
1687673561215.png

Reactions: Nevi and Spartan

Jan Willy

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 5, 2019

Example, try visiting: Downloads | AIDA64

with uBlock I get a popup to subscribe to their newsletter but not with AdGuard

It's a matter of choosing the right filter list, regardless of your ad/tracker blocking extension. For instance:

Edit: I just experienced that this list doesn't block the popup on the AIDA64 site. Fanboy's Annoyances optimized does.

Last edited:

JohnR

Level 2
Feb 19, 2020
Trying out the optimized filters for AG base and tracking to see if any benefit in a small reduction in the total number of filters. They appear to work OK as am not seeing ads and the AG logger is showing the blocks, but the stats (total since install) shows zero trackers blocked.
Am guessing just a small bug in AG?
agbug.png.png

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.