Administrator safety

Kathy5743

Thread author
Verified
Jan 13, 2015
I read somewhere not to use administrator to avoid a hacker taking over computer. I have all my files in my administrator folder, which is password protected, which I use for everything. I have a guest folder for anyone else who uses my computer, which is not password protected.

How should I go about making myself an account that is safer to use on a daily basis? How can I set it up to contain all of my folders. Or is it better to make a new one and dub that one administrator and then remove the administrator title from my account I use daily?

2!<15

Level 3
Verified
Jan 4, 2015
admin.jpg

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/why-standard-user-account#1TC=windows-7

Reactions: donetao and kiric96

Kathy5743

Thread author
Verified
Jan 13, 2015
I have Windows 7. Can I safely keep on using my administrator account which is password protected so that the occasional other user can't access it? Or is there still some danger a hacker could get into it while I am on line or sleep mode?

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Reactions: donetao and kiric96

Kathy5743

Thread author
Verified
Jan 13, 2015
The two links may be too complicated for me to figure out, but thanks for the info.

Are you saying that as long as I have a good password for my administrator account I am safe to use that account for on line searches?

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
The two links may be too complicated for me to figure out, but thanks for the info.

Are you saying that as long as I have a good password for my administrator account I am safe to use that account for on line searches?

Yes precautionary measures is needed as always and none will get any strange situation unless you accept the consequences. :)

Reactions: donetao

Kathy5743

Thread author
Verified
Jan 13, 2015
If I have a "senior moment" again and click something I should not have clicked, is my computer in more danger if I am using my administrator account than it would be using one of the regular accounts? My administrator account is password protected whereas the other accounts are not password protected.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Using administrator account gains everything with all the access so risk will expose, while LUA (limited user account/guest)prevent any execution due to in fact it needs an approval for Admin especially the password need to input. (My post #4)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.