Guide | How To Adware/PUP in Vuze Leap and Vuze Torrent Client - (Unchecky vs Mouseclicks)

The associated guide may contain user-generated or external content.

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
For this thread, I will be posting setup screenshots from Vuze Leap and Vuze Torrent Client, and any unwanted software.

In the first round, I have no Anti-Adware specific software installed to prevent, only controlled and educated mouse-clicks.

In the second round, I have installed Unchecky to test if it can protect against Click-Happy users.

Contents:
  • Program 1: Installing Vuze Leap
  • Program 2: Installing Vuze Torrent Client
  • Brief FAQ
  • Unchecky with Vuze Leap and Vuze Torrent Client (Default/Accept)

Program 1: Installing Vuze Leap

Screenshot 1: Default screen for Vuze Leap.

upload_2015-5-19_9-55-34.png

Screenshot 2: Marking 'Customize install options' will bring you this screen.

upload_2015-5-19_9-56-8.png

Adware / PUP Warning

Screenshot 3: Before Leap is installed you will be get a 'Search Offer' aka Yahoo Toolbar or Vuze Toolbar powered by Yahoo Search.

Clicking on CANCEL will only REJECT the SEARCH OFFER.

upload_2015-5-19_9-56-27.png

Offers may differ per install, per system.

Screenshot 4: Installer proceeds to install Vuze Leap and is automatic after you click on CANCEL from SEARCH OFFER above.

upload_2015-5-19_10-2-36.png

Screenshot 5: You can now use Vuze Leap.

upload_2015-5-19_10-3-43.png

End of Vuze Leap software.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Program 2: Installing Vuze Torrent Client (using Web / Stub Installer)

Screenshot 1: Vuze requires Java Runtime Environment (JRE) and will automatically start to download.

upload_2015-5-19_10-6-31.png

Remember to uninstall Java if you plan to uninstall Vuze software.

Screenshot 2: Default screen for Vuze Torrent Client

upload_2015-5-19_10-7-32.png

Screenshot 3: Marking 'Customize' will bring you this screen and additional options, prior to install.

upload_2015-5-19_10-7-55.png

Adware / PUP Warning

Screenshot 4: Before Vuze is installed you will be get a 'Free Search Offer' aka Spigot Toolbar, powered by Yahoo Search.

Clicking on DECLINE will only REJECT the SPIGOT Toolbar.

upload_2015-5-19_10-8-39.png

Note: Offers may differ per install, per system.

Screenshot 5: More Sponsored software aka "Recommended by Vuze"

Clicking on DECLINE will only REJECT the PRO PC CLEANER software.

upload_2015-5-19_10-10-33.png

Screenshot 6: Vuze will now be installed... (keep scrolling)!

upload_2015-5-19_10-11-54.png

Screenshot 7: Vuze may offer Feature Content to it's users, optional. Safe to Accept/Decline.

upload_2015-5-19_10-13-21.png

Screenshot 8: Clicking Accept will only add the Torrents to your downloads, Vuze is now installed.

upload_2015-5-19_10-15-35.png

Bottom Left: The free version of Vuze Torrent Client supports built-in Ads.

End of Vuze Torrent Client software.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Does Vuze Leap and Vuze Torrent Client offer Adware/PUP/Toolbars?
- Yes
Does Vuze Leap and Vuze Torrent Client install Java?
- Yes, only for Vuze Torrent Client

Unchecky with Vuze Leap and Vuze Torrent Client (Default/Accept)

Does a Customized install prevent Adware/PUP/Toolbars?
- No.
Does Unchecky prevent Adware/PUP/Toolbars on default install options?
- No, it did not prevent some unwanted programs in this test.

upload_2015-5-19_10-44-33.png

upload_2015-5-19_10-42-17.png

Further Reading: Why Your Mouseclicks Matters Guide by @Nico@FMA

Caitlin

Level 1
Verified
May 17, 2015
View attachment 57786 View attachment 57787

This why i use Majorgeeks.com for my software downloads. :D

I used that website to find Malwarebytes & ccleaner a very long time ago... didn't realize they also hosted safe downloads.

This could have saved me from the crap I went through when I just installed Vuze (maybe)

Want to mention that in my case non of the other unwanted programs or toolbars downloaded but it reverted my firefox settings to a previous state. There was no extension installed but I believe Vuze keeps files inside of your Firefox profile somehow because it was drastically altered when I installed it...bookmark links that I had removed were there again, themes that were on my old OS were suddenly on this one. Either that or it was a side effect of Vuze downloading Java, which I didnt have on this OS since I just did a clean install 2 days ago. (with completely copied over old Firefox profile)

Just thought I'd mention it here for people thinking of downloading Vuze with the internet installer... dont :) Use those majorgeeks links that were kindly provided!

Or better yet download a different open source torrent client... that was how I handled this. Why deal with something that doesnt respect you when you have more polite alternatives! I got Tixati and I love it (and it looks awesome because its black background against bright green and stuff lol)

Reactions: frogboy

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Usually most reliable third party like Softpedia (Besides Majorgeeks) have their disclaimer about the type of program and still its not their liable if do take the risk. ;)

Your eyes and clicks will really save you a lot no matter how we change the angle of perspective. ;)

Reactions: Caitlin and frogboy

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.