Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016

v8.0.8 [09/10/2020]​

Changelog

New Features

• Set the correct attributes to the working directory (usually C:\AdwCleaner) to overcome potential malicious modifications
  • Detect if AdwClean runs in a corporate environment

Changes

• Improve Services detection
  • Update translations
  • Update definitions to 2020.09.29.1

Bugfixes

• Fix an issue preventing shortcut cleanup from working correctly
  • Fix the QSharedMemory error message
Download here

EndangeredPootis

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Sep 8, 2019
What's the reason if I may ask? I mean they contribute ADWCleaner as a free removal tool so they don't make money out of it. It wouldn't hurt to add it's database to Malwarebytes at all.
The Malwarebytes ad at the top right and more user downloads, aswell as probably selling user info, it may simply be its not in their priority list, also, adding the adwcleaner database just means larger defenition updates.

F

ForgottenSeer 85179

Anyone having problems? I can't start Adwcleaner:
Application popup: adwcleaner_8.0.8.exe - Application error: The application could not start correctly (0xc0000005). Click "OK" to close the application.

This is from Windows event notification log

Reactions: [correlate]

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
I updated straight from the 8.07 interface and then it didn't run for me IF 8.07 was still open on the desktop. Clicking on the "Launch" tab seemed like it was dead--and from Downloads, the cmd-like window would flash for a second and then nothing. Only after closing the older version first did the v. 8.08 open. The initial scan took 3 seconds longer than the 8.07 version.

Funny, no error or anything in Reliability Monitor but I ain't complaining. Windows 20H2 is so stable. Brag on/
relmon.PNG

/Brag off

Edit: yeah, I dodge the Malwarebytes part and get it from the Toolslib site, it's the same thing.

ChoiceVoice

Level 6
Verified
Oct 10, 2014
I wonder why they still don't implement ADWCleaner to Malwarebytes. :unsure:
they likely have implemented aspects of it into malwarebytes already. but the two programs don't necessarily have the identical purposes. i don't find malwarebytes to be as aggressive as adwcleaner on ... ads and what not. that aggressiveness can turn away paying customers that use 3rd party programs that are flagged in adwcleaner and not in malwarebytes. though, malwarebytes does have settings to ramp up that detection. i wonder if it more closely detects what adwcleaner detects when that is checked (?). it's always hard to know what's going on under the hood, lol.

there is also something to be said for keeping the development teams separate, so as to not stifle creativity (if you can afford it).

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.