Advice Request after norton where should i go

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

which should i choose

• Norton

Votes: 14 23.0%
  • ZoneAlarm

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • F-secure

Votes: 29 47.5%
  • McAfee

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Trend Micro

Votes: 3 4.9%
  • Recommend another AV

Votes: 14 23.0%

• Total voters
F

ForgottenSeer 103564

It's simple really. Norton is not a fan favorite, they have in the past had questionable practices, and at one time, a user would almost dismantle a windows installation trying to remove Norton from the system.

That said, it is still undeniably good at what it does. The firewall and IPS are excellent, this layer of their security is at the forefront and does its job well. At one point when I tested malware in a VM, on my host I ran Norton just for this, as I have in the past seen it in action and it performed perfectly. Sonar and reputation scans added into the mix with some of the best signatures "top 5" out there and script control, makes it's a solid choice to keep a system secure especially for non techie types. This like other suites, in advanced settings can be set to aggressive if the environment calls for it.

Jonny Quest

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 2, 2023
Kaspersky :sick:

All my devices are running either F-Secure Total or Kaspersky Plus. I'm very happy with the differing options and the solid performance they both bring to the table. I especially like Kaspersky's Smart Home Monitor, very nice reference tool where you know which is what, and I can edit the name to make it easier to know what's online in my network.

Jengo

Level 6
Well-known
Nov 9, 2022
It's simple really. Norton is not a fan favorite, they have in the past had questionable practices, and at one time, a user would almost dismantle a windows installation trying to remove Norton from the system.

That said, it is still undeniably good at what it does. The firewall and IPS are excellent, this layer of their security is at the forefront and does its job well. At one point when I tested malware in a VM, on my host I ran Norton just for this, as I have in the past seen it in action and it performed perfectly. Sonar and reputation scans added into the mix with some of the best signatures "top 5" out there and script control, makes it's a solid choice to keep a system secure especially for non techie types. This like other suites, in advanced settings can be set to aggressive if the environment calls for it.
You are right it is one of the BEST AV out there. I tested all AV out there except the Russian Rubbish, this will never come in to our house.

Shadowra

Level 34
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Tester
Well-known
Sep 2, 2021
All my devices are running either F-Secure Total or Kaspersky Plus. I'm very happy with the differing options and the solid performance they both bring to the table. I especially like Kaspersky's Smart Home Monitor, very nice reference tool where you know which is what, and I can edit the name to make it easier to know what's online in my network.

Kaspersky is an antivirus that I really like, that I've used and bought. But, there are 2 concerns:

- It has caused me several BSODs (this is referenced on the Kaspersky forum and there's also a topic on MT due to their latest update)
- I've known ESET for longer and it's an antivirus I like a lot more. And generally when I test a competitor, I always come back to ESET out of habit (only F-Secure has made the exception 2 times).

Jonny Quest

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 2, 2023
Kaspersky is an antivirus that I really like, that I've used and bought. But, there are 2 concerns:

- It has caused me several BSODs (this is referenced on the Kaspersky forum and there's also a topic on MT due to their latest update)
- I've known ESET for longer and it's an antivirus I like a lot more. And generally when I test a competitor, I always come back to ESET out of habit (only F-Secure has made the exception 2 times).

Thank you, Shadowra, as I agree, and value your opinion very much. I check the Kaspersky forum fairly often and saw those topics as well. I installed Kaspersky about 2 days ago on another notebook, and it froze during the initial background scan. And since I have enough F-Secure licenses to cover all my devices, may reconsider my installs.

F

ForgottenSeer 103564

Would like to add something here not discussed as much as it should be, whichever you choose and will work for your needs and uses, learn it thoroughly. Find all the documentation you can on it, and learn it. Knowing how to adjust it, its strengths and its weaknesses will help you get the most out of it. Above all else though, keep rehearsing the basics, do not rely solely on your security application.

Jonny Quest

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 2, 2023
Would like to add something here not discussed as much as it should be, whichever you choose and will work for your needs and uses, learn it thoroughly. Find all the documentation you can on it, and learn it. Knowing how to adjust it, its strengths and its weaknesses will help you get the most out of it. Above all else though, keep rehearsing the basics, do not rely solely on your security application.
Absolutely. What I appreciate about Bitdefender and Kaspersky, is the amount of online documentation you can find and read about regarding settings, options, etc, which F-Secure lacks (at least in-depth). I'm not as familiar with other AVs, those are just the ones I have greater experience with.

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
After Norton, go to a therapist for all the trauma it has put you through!

Install Kaspersky, go to the nearest mirror, and thank yourself for being such a responsible user!
fwiw, I had some issues with Kaspersky circa 2000 too... right now both Kaspersky and Norton work well for me. (ESET smart security premium however borked the win10 firewall, gave me conflicting support advice, and ultimately I had to reinstall win10 AND I had been happy ESET user for years (I see I already mentioned this above, but I was shocked by crappy support I got from ESET)

F

ForgottenSeer 103564

fwiw, I had some issues with Kaspersky circa 2000 too... right now both Kaspersky and Norton work well for me. (ESET smart security premium however borked the win10 firewall, gave me conflicting support advice, and ultimately I had to reinstall win10 AND I had been happy ESET user for years (I see I already mentioned this above, but I was shocked by crappy support I got from ESET)
Im a happy ChromeOS user now, and i can attest clearly one thing i do not miss about windows is changing software. Uninstalling one security suite to apply another without performing a clean install of windows almost always leads to unforeseen issues. Left over files and adjusted rules, damaged files upon removal from other applications can wreak havoc upon the next installation. If i did switch suites, i would perform a clean install each time to avoid those issues, as internal bugs are already an issue with any software let alone adding too with changing often.

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
Im a happy ChromeOS user now, and i can attest clearly one thing i do not miss about windows is changing software. Uninstalling one security suite to apply another without performing a clean install of windows almost always leads to unforeseen issues. Left over files and adjusted rules, damaged files upon removal from other applications can wreak havoc upon the next installation. If i did switch suites, i would perform a clean install each time to avoid those issues, as internal bugs are already an issue with any software let alone adding too with changing often.
my chromeOS device is old enough that google no longer updates it... & will not boot up for that reason, :( I use some of its connectors to power battery devices.

F

ForgottenSeer 103564

my chromeOS device is old enough that google no longer updates it... & will not boot up for that reason, :( I use some of its connectors to power battery devices.
I have read Google is in the works of making chromeOS flex available to all Chromebooks just for that reason, to extend it past EOL. Also Linux can be installed in place of.

Try accessing your BIOS by powering up and hitting F2 key. If you can do that you should be able to do something with it.

micasayyo

Level 3
Jan 31, 2022
Thanks for the information, but is it necessary to do a clean installation when you change the antivirus suite?
Wouldn't reinstalling Windows be enough?
a clean installation with a lot of work:rolleyes:

Reactions: Jengo

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.