App Review AhnLab v3 Lite Free Antivirus 2021

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.
Content created by
Shadowra

Shadowra

Level 33
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Tester
Well-known
Sep 2, 2021
Hello all! :)
Today we are going to test a much less known software, which is AhnLab v3!
AhnLab is a South-Korean company, offering its software named v3.
The software was once intended for companies, but has been declined in a general public version.
AhnLab is very well known in Asian countries, but very little in Europe and America.
The software wants to be easy to use and light, it is the case because it is installed and forgotten easily. It manages tasks automatically.

Performance level, I am average...

On the Web and the malware pack, AhnLab offers a very efficient protection.
On the other hand, on the fake crack, although AhnLab blocked infections, a large number of which several Trojans were not detected!
Its anti-phishing protection is ridiculous, it didn't block any site !!!!

The big black spot is a cruel lack of behavioral detection. AhnLab focuses too much on its Cloud. Although it sandboxes unknown programs, many of them are not identified as malware and run without any reaction from the antivirus.
This was shown on the pack, but also on my home-made Ransomware, Origami, which locks up the computer.

Although it is promising, I would not recommend AhnLab v3 for your protection...

RAM Usage : Light
Phishing Test : 0/4 ( 1 dead, 4 missed)
Malware URL test : 8/9 (a discord malware missed, 1 dead)
Fake crack : 0.25/1 (A many infection are not detected)
Malware Pack : Remaining 400 files to 3428 files
Home Malware : 0/1 => MBR Blocked by my malware. End of the test

F

ForgottenSeer 92963

In old AV-C0mparatives tests AhnLab did not score well. They usually ended just above Microsoft Defender in its first years (early days when we all laughed at Microsoft for its below par protection). Maybe the lite version is still using their old technology (like blacklist plus heuristics only)?

Last edited by a moderator:

Shadowra

Level 33
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Tester
Well-known
Sep 2, 2021
In old AV-C0mparatives tests AhnLab did not score well. They usually ended just above Microsoft Defender in its first years (early days when we all laughed at Microsoft for its below par protection). Maybe the lite version is still using their old technology (like blacklist plus heuristics only)?

Personally I don't look at this kind of comparison. From memory, AV Comparative and others don't do any URL test, nor 0-day test! They take a pack, scan it and note the result. Of course you have Antivirus at the top of the ranking ....

Reactions: Behold Eck

The_King

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 2, 2020
Personally I don't look at this kind of comparison. From memory, AV Comparative and others don't do any URL test, nor 0-day test! They take a pack, scan it and note the result. Of course you have Antivirus at the top of the ranking ....
They do conduct URL phishing tests along with Real-world protection and Malware protection tests.
The test took place between the 28th June and 5th July 2021. 260 Phishing URLs were tested as soon as we discovered them. All phishing URLs had to be active/online at time of testing and attempt to get personal information. The phishing campaigns targeted various types of personal data, including login credentials etc. for PayPal, online banking & credit cards, e-mail accounts, Dropbox, eBay, social networks, online games and other online services. The set of legitimate online banking websites for the false alarm test consisted of 250 clean URLs (all of them using HTTPS and showing a login form) from all over the world.

Av-test.org conduction 0 day test as well.
Protection against 0-day malware attacks, inclusive of web and e-mail threats (Real-World Testing) 303 samples used

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.