Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
Air_Header_SS.png

AirVPN is a moden VPN client that prices out at about 60.00 US dollors a year and about 8.00 US dollors a month.
Thats not a bad price, maybe later I can do a price comparison for the MT family.
I can't pretend I found this on my own, in fact 2 of my longtime MT brothers helped steer me in this direction a few months ago but I digress, lets get back on track.
Air_SS_01.png

AirVPN is fairly priced seeing the long list of servers they offer and the reliability of the program itself.
Select "Show Main Window" by right clicking on the tray icon, here you will find your VPN signin options as well as a menu on the left. Just real quick I want to show you how easy it is to set favorite servers for easy access.
From the Main Window, click on servers on the far left side:
Air_SS_02.png

at the bottom on the left edge of the "server listing" notice the small box to tick that is labeled "Show All"
this will list the totality of the servers available for you to choose from, and is the default view if you have no Whitelist" built.
Air_SS_03.png

Select servers that are not too far from you or that return the best results after some trial and error. Once you find a server that is suitable it is as simple as applying a tick mark to the left side of the server and it will be added to a "Whitelist"
removing it is as simple as removing the mark.
I am not going to do a config conpanion, this is just a review of my opinion and so far I have found the AirVPN servers to be fast, stable, and any server issues result in that server being maintained or replaced.
AirVPN from my experience is well worth the price of admission. The customer support is top notch based on my
experience with them, and Eddie is a very user friendly UI.
If them not keeping logs, having quality hosted servers, a happy userbase, and a good price don't spark your interest well go see your Doctor because you may be lacking a pulse lol :)
Seriously though, if you value your privacy, or are needing the added security that a VPN offers AirVPN might be right up your alley. I have found it to be reliable even with sattelite internet and well worth the money and
time I have invested.
Thanks to my MT brothers who helped steer me in that direction with conviction, you know who you are, and your appreciated.
PS: If time allowed for it, I would have loved to do a menu by menu breakdown of the best settings.
This is a little shorter than I wanted seeing the amount of time I have to spare as of late. At a later date I may go all out and release a tweak guide when my schedule slows up a little.

Last edited:

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
Reason servers get down for maintenance is that they monitor connection issues for clients and when a server is dropping packages or is slow they take it off to investigate and fix. It shouldn't really matter because eddie will not connect you to that server and you will get a new one that is working great.
All in all great review.

PS. Buy on the 3-4 discount periods for a way reduced price.

EDIT: Your firewall or something seems to be blocking pinging the servers so you don't have rating and latency showing.

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
EDIT: Your firewall or something seems to be blocking pinging the servers so you don't have rating and latency showing.
I know, I changed from WFC paid to GlassWire Pro somewhere in there the pings took a hit lol
I will sort it out Tuesday. Thanks though brother for bringing it up :)

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
I know, I changed from WFC paid to GlassWire Pro somewhere in there the pings took a hit lol
I will sort it out Tuesday. Thanks though brother for bringing it up :)
When you are done with your stuff if you don't mind shoot me a pm because i want to ask something about glasswire.

About the ping i think you need to allow eddie icmp to the servers(pretty sure it's done by system process but haven't had to play with it for a while to be 100% sure).

Last edited:

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Hi @_CyberGhosT_

I need some confirmation on AirVPN since you are using it.

1) According to this link it seems AirVPN can do double-hop but their homepage did not mention this feature nor its ability to connect to Tor

AirVPN must offer Multi-Hop double VPN and Tor OverVPN in openvpn config ? - General & Suggestions

How is it being done? Can user select individual VPN and pair them or are they already paired? If pre-paired then what are the VPN pairs?

And how to connect to Tor? Any instructions on their site to do the double hop and Tor connection?

2) From what I read from the net AirVPN does log like speed, amount of session data, connection time etc but for how long they are being kept is unclesr in the finer details of their logging policy. Is that true? If yes, then how long are such logs kept? Even ThatOnePrivacySite review of AirVPN is not sure too

That One Privacy Site | AirVPN Review

3) Is it true that the Eddie client needs permission to run every time it's launched? If yes, then this will make its auto-connect option pointless, right?

4) Is it true that the if you use the "Network Lock" feature and it loses connection after your PC goes to sleep the entire client will crash?

5) Is AirVPN using Google DNS servers. If yes, is AirVPN proxying them or connecting directly to them?

6) Are their DNS servers supporting DNSSEC/DNSCrypt and no-log?

7) TOS item 4.2 - BY USING THE AIRVPN VPN SERVICE ("Service") YOU AGREE NOT TO: use the Service to damage or cause risk to our business, reputation, employees, subscribers, facilities, or to any person;

So, if you post a complain of their services, your account will be terminated because you damage their reputation, right?

Thanks

Last edited:

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
1.Double hop either happens automatically on selected websites or with tor. You can't do double hop on 2 selected airvpn servers.
2. Until the connection is closed from what i know.
3. It runs from task scheduler so it can run as admin without any interaction.
4. When you go to sleep obviously there is no connection but nothing crashes. When you get in windows again it will reconnect.
5. No.
6. You can use dnscrypt if you want but that has nothing to do with their dns servers. Their dns is encrypted so not much point anw.
7. No they will not terminate your account. If you are a dick though hopefully they will do but i doubt it.

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
1.Double hop either happens automatically on selected websites or with tor. You can't do double hop on 2 selected airvpn servers.
2. Until the connection is closed from what i know.
3. It runs from task scheduler so it can run as admin without any interaction.
4. When you go to sleep obviously there is no connection but nothing crashes. When you get in windows again it will reconnect.
5. No.
6. You can use dnscrypt if you want but that has nothing to do with their dns servers. Their dns is encrypted so not much point anw.
7. No they will not terminate your account. If you are a dick though hopefully they will do but i doubt it.

On points

1. What do you mean double hop automatically? I thought you need to pair 2 servers to do that either user-selected or pre-paired? Are there instructions to connect the VPN server(s) to Tor?
2. You confirm that? So they do keep logs. Are the logs auto-deleted?
6. Do they log the DNS queries?

Thanks

Reactions: SHvFl

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
On points

1. What do you mean double hop automatically? I thought you need to pair 2 servers to do that either user-selected or pre-paired? Are there instructions to connect the VPN server(s) to Tor?
2. You confirm that? So they do keep logs. Are the logs auto-deleted?
6. Do they log the DNS queries?

Thanks
1. Some websites get a double hop to avoid geo blocking. They are different servers on selected countries that when you connect to a website(for example bbc iplayer) it will redirect requests regardless of what server you are to a uk server so you can access the content.
About tor check this
Tor
2. It's impossible to not have logs for active connections. You can't magically connect to the servers without contacting them. Check this
Does AirVPN log its users' IP addresses? - General & Suggestions
6. No they shouldn't log the dns queries. They don't log what you access but it's a trust business. You can't really check what they log and what they don't so if you don't trust airvpn you should probably not use it.

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
1. Some websites get a double hop to avoid geo blocking. They are different servers on selected countries that when you connect to a website(for example bbc iplayer) it will redirect requests regardless of what server you are to a uk server so you can access the content.
About tor check this
Tor
2. It's impossible to not have logs for active connections. You can't magically connect to the servers without contacting them. Check this
Does AirVPN log its users' IP addresses? - General & Suggestions
6. No they shouldn't log the dns queries. They don't log what you access but it's a trust business. You can't really check what they log and what they don't so if you don't trust airvpn you should probably not use it.

Point

1. So, in essence, the user is not strictly ALWAYS getting the double-hop service he wants except, like you mentioned, on selected websites in post #9
6. Of course trusting a VPN provider is something a user has to do unless somebody is able to prove the VPN provider wrong which has happened before. Simply saving keeping no log would infer to most people that the VPN traffic is not logged but not necessary implying the DNS traffic. It all depends on how the 2 traffic are implemented by the provider. Some VPN providers do explicitly state that they do NOT log DNS queries too.

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
Point

1. So, in essence, the user is not strictly ALWAYS getting the double-hop service he wants except, like you mentioned, on selected websites in post #9
6. Of course trusting a VPN provider is something a user has to do unless somebody is able to prove the VPN provider wrong which has happened before. Simply saving keeping no log would infer to most people that the VPN traffic is not logged but not necessary implying the DNS traffic. It all depends on how the 2 traffic are implemented by the provider. Some VPN providers do explicitly state that they do NOT log DNS queries too.
It's implied with the no log no monitoring policy. Now some people get paranoid which makes 0 sense honestly. I can say i have 0 logs and then log everything and you wouldn't even know it. As i said before it's a trust business but eventually you will be outed if you are keeping logs because someone will abuse your service and do something really bad, go to court and then they will talk about the logs they acquired from the vpn provider. It has happened before.

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
before criticizing or give them a verdict, it would be worth the risk to install it, but only if we get a giveaway for 1 month from them.
tnp.gif
2-3 days(think it's 3) trials is what they give. Obviously no serious vpn company will give a 30 day trial because server resources are a finite commodity.

codswollip

Level 23
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 29, 2017
Basically conventional "double-hop" does not exist in any sense of "security". As stated it is provided in limited circumstances as a geo-blocking convenience.

However, you can double-hop using multiple devices, each connected to a unique VPN... for example...
  • PC on VPN connected by router on VPN
  • Virtual machine w/VPN on top of VPN connected PC
In theory, one could triple-hop ... Virtual Machine --> PC --> Router (each with a unique VPN connection).

Of course, there are limits to the number of simultaneous VPN connections (IIRC, 3 is the default).

As well, you can use TOR as a front-end or back-end (and those are very different in terms of overall anonymity).

Many of the questions asked in this thread have been addressed on the AirVPN forum.

Reactions: SHvFl

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Basically conventional "double-hop" does not exist in any sense of "security". As stated it is provided in limited circumstances as a geo-blocking convenience.

However, you can double-hop using multiple devices, each connected to a unique VPN... for example...
  • PC on VPN connected by router on VPN
  • Virtual machine w/VPN on top of VPN connected PC
In theory, one could triple-hop ... Virtual Machine --> PC --> Router (each with a unique VPN connection).

Of course, there are limits to the number of simultaneous VPN connections (IIRC, 3 is the default).

As well, you can use TOR as a front-end or back-end (and those are very different in terms of overall anonymity).

Many of the questions asked in this thread have been addressed on the AirVPN forum.
Double-hop only for AirVPN to circumvent some geo-restricted sites.

For others multi-hop is more of changing your IP address and the servers are either user-selectable or pre-paired

Generally, a VPN provider will connect VPN server 1 ==> VPN server 2 ==> VPN server 3 etc. This connection still easily traceable to the same VPN provider

If you need better anonymity then use different VPN providers and connect as VPN provider 1 ==> VPN provider 2

Last edited:

Janl1992l

Level 14
Verified
Well-known
Feb 14, 2016
Maybe the best public vpn out there with perfect-privacy vpn. The only two providers where i am pretty sure they dont log User activitis. One reason for me to use airvpn is the open source client. The Guys behind airvpn are honest and have good knowlagende about what they are doing. One of the rare softwares i do not Change.

Reactions: codswollip

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.