Showcase Aktiffiso, pc specification is a good pc?

Purchase / Last upgraded
Sep 1, 2021
Form factor
Estimated $
$300
Make & Model
LENOVO THINK CENTRE E 31
OS installed
WINDOWS 10 (CAMES WHITH WINDOWS 8 FACTORY) I HAVE TO DISABLE SECUREBOOT
CPU
XEON E3 1230 V2 NOT OVERCLOCKET TURBO BOOST
GPU
NVIDIA QUADRO 600
RAM
16 GB DDR3 1600
Storage
2 SSD 1 KINGSTON 480 GB 1 MFTDAK 256 SSD AND HITACHI 3TB
Case
TOWER? WORK STATION, NO SPECIAL FEATURE.
Monitor
HP LE1851 W VGA WHITH ADAPTER DVI
Keyboard and Mouse
USB KEYBOARD BLUETOOTH OPTICAL MOUSE
Accessories
NO, I USE TO PLAY STEAM GAMES THE MOST HEAVY GAME IS TORMENTED SOULS AND MIDDLE EARTH. ALL GAMES RUN SMOOTH, EXCEPT FOR KILLER INSTINC.
My computer protection
I LIKE TO DECIDE BETWEEN EMSI, MBAM PREMIUM AND BITDEFENDER

Aktiffiso

Level 8
Thread author
Verified
Aug 24, 2013
LOOK I HAVE INDECISION ABOUT USE A BETTER GRAPHIC CARD, WHAT CARD CAN I USE, I HAVE A 500 WATTS CERTIFICATE LITEON POWER, LITE ON4281, I THINK I HAVE PCI EXPRESS PORT, BUT I NOT SECURE, AND FOR ME THIS XEON E3 1230 V2 IS GREAT. WHY THE PEOPLE SAY THIS CPU IS BAD? I USE IT AND IS THE BETTER CPU WHAT I USED IN MY LIFE, INCLUDE THE INTEL I3 6TH GENERATION IS VERY SLOW FOR ME.

The_King

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 2, 2020
Quadro series cards are not focused on gaming, but rather workstation applications like CAD etc,
so are the drivers.

That particular card has only 1GB of VRAM which is not great if you want to run most games.

If you do have a PCIe slot, then look at something like GTX 1060 6 GB or an AMD RX 480/580 4 or 8 GB GPU. Second hand

New GPU prices are still ridiculous, so I don't recommend that option.

Aktiffiso

Level 8
Thread author
Verified
Aug 24, 2013
Thanks king, do you think i support that cards? i can play good whith this whitout overheat, only some games like tormented souls or dissidia or shippuden 4 run litle slow. I think upgrade card because i like give more life to all components. Could you tell me why people hates xeon, is 300 usd a good price for this machine of second hand

Reactions: Dave Russo and Nevi

The_King

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 2, 2020
Those custom pro
Thanks king, do you think i support that cards? i can play good whith this whitout overheat, only some games like tormented souls or dissidia or shippuden 4 run litle slow. I think upgrade card because i like give more life to all components. Could you tell me why people hates xeon, is 300 usd a good price for this machine of second hand
Nothing wrong with Xeon CPU there are actually better quality versions of consumer grade CPUs.
Those custom Lenovo motherboards and BIOS maybe give you compatibility issues with certain GPU.

Best to check online if they will work with your motherboard before you buy.

Also check if your power supply has the necessary GPU power connectors.

Last edited:

Aktiffiso

Level 8
Thread author
Verified
Aug 24, 2013
Hi this work station cames whith xeon as base cpu, is from fabric the only changue is i put more ram. Respect the error i supuse it isbecause i install windwos 10 because whith windows 8 not happens. I disable secure boot for that, because (sorry to repeat) it not gives lenovo logo or let me boot from another way. I really love thisxeon, my cousins says is a bad cpu, i know it is old but works great

Reactions: Nevi and Dave Russo

The_King

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 2, 2020
xeon does not support gaming graphics

Xeon is the series name for Intel enterprise servers and workstations CPUs.
Nvidia Quadro series are GPU designed for workstations.

Technically you can game with both but may not get official support with all games.

The_King

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 2, 2020
That's what I said. Intel xeon officially does not support gaming graphics. I own 4 xeon server systems. You don't game on them. The results are terrible.
You do get a variety of servers built for different purposes, some of these may not suitable for gaming. In the OP case, the CPU he is using
is perfectly fine for gaming, it has all the set features of its i5 desktop counterpart, hence it will have no issues gaming.

The chart below shows a Xeon E3 1230 v2 vs its closest desktop counterpart, an i5 3570K
Note the features support by the Xeon are far superior to that of the i5 and most importantly the instruction sets support by
both CPUs are identical which means the Xeon will fully support any application the i5 could, including gaming support.
compare xeon vs desktop.jpg

Xeon LGA 1150/1155 and later work both in server and desktop motherboards, provided your motherboard vendor
BIOS supports its. These CPUs have full support for gaming. Since the OP is running WIndows 10 and not Windows server, he will have full support
to install both NVidia and AMD gaming graphic drivers without any issues.

Last edited:
Reactions: plat

The_King

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 2, 2020
The xeon cpu is not the issue. Plus the extra "superior" features on xeon are irrelevant to gaming. None of the virtualization or other features help in improving gaming. You assumed that they systems I own were originally built as servers. They were not. They are enterprise desktops that now host samba and SQL. Windows for server was never installed on them. So the gaming results I have observed is not due to Windows for Server running on them. The issue is the Quattro graphics.

You are giving wrong advice
Go back and read your comments in regard to what I posted, especially my first very first sentence in this thread, and what you posted after.

Quadro series cards are not focused on gaming, but rather workstation applications like CAD etc,
so are the drivers.

You clearly confused Xeon CPUs with Nvidia Quadro GPUs which are two different pieces of hardware. I did clearly point out the differences to you
and the error you made by making the following statement.
xeon does not support gaming graphics
Your statement in regard to Xeon CPUs not support gaming graphics was false. It's Quadro GPU cards that do not officially support gaming drivers.

NB
It's Quadro not an Audi with Quattro which is something completely different.

Last edited:

The_King

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 2, 2020
No it isn't. Go find official Intel documentation that says Xeon supports gaming graphics. Oh wait. You can't. Because Xeon does not support gaming graphics. It supports only workstation graphics.
Wrong again! Yet again, you have made an incorrect statement because you lack the fundamental knowledge of how computers work.

GPU support depends on the Motherboards chipset and not on what CPU is installed.

Definition of a chipset​

An electronic chipset manages the flow of data between components on a motherboard. It’s the traffic controller between the CPU, GPU, RAM, storage, and peripherals. Experts have referred to it as the “glue” of the motherboard. The chipset is basically the electronics on the motherboard that communicate with all the connected components.

In a nutshell, a chipset acts like the motherboard’s communications center and traffic controller, and it ultimately determines what components are compatible with the motherboard—including the CPU, RAM, hard drives, and graphics cards. It also dictates your future expansion options, and to what extent, if any, your system can be overclocked.

• Applause
Reactions: Nevi and plat

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
Since it's an OEM (Lenovo) and a server at that, I would be a bit cautious. Generally, you can game with Xeons--I've seen several on Steam, specifically with dual Xeons and a gaming gpu but ideally, non-server consumer cpus are more suitable for gaming. Plus, I see this is an older computer model which limits you further.

I would research on the Lenovo forums for your model to see whether anyone has succesfully upgraded this and with what components. Here is something, for example:

Not sure if this is the exact same model as yours but should give you a rough idea, and some encouragement. If it doesn't work, make sure you got a money-back guarantee.

Edit: regarding the model stated in the initial post, I'm just asking: is it ThinkCentre or ThinkStation? The model #E31 is for a ThinkStation. Once the computer is past 7 years of age, it's usually time to "think" about something more modern rather than upgrading on old platforms (Ivy Bridge). Besides, graphics cards are still in short supply and over-priced due to the global chip shortage.

Last edited:
Reactions: The_King and Nevi

The_King

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 2, 2020
The chipset is made based upon the motherboard and the CPU.

xeon does not support gaming graphics. It never has. You keep saying it does. So provide the evidence here. Provide official documentation that proves me wrong. Provide evidence that shows that xeon cpus support gaming graphics. Oh wait. You can't.

Run along little boy.

lmfao

:ROFLMAO:
This will be my last response to you regarding this, in the hope that you actually learn something and stop being a troll. Who I will not feed after this post.

This video shows a Dual XEON server running 4 RTX Gaming series GPUS. There are literally millions of articles and videos like this all over the internet.
This effectively put all the nonsense you posted to rest.

Here is another video of a workstation server running with Quadro cards running "gaming graphics". Showing that even Quadro cards can game. ;)

It's the server or desktop motherboard that contains the official CPU and GPU support. That is why motherboard manufacturers
list on their websites which CPUs and GPUs are compatibles with their products, and CPU manufactures don't.

Intel who make the XEON CPUs don't release any official GPU support only motherboard chipset compatibility for their processors. Because
it will be pointless for them has the CPU does not determine which other components is compatible with it, that is the job of the motherboard its chipset and BIOS.

• Applause
Reactions: plat

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.