Basic Security AlanOstaszewski's PC Security Config

Original forum configuration · expand details
Last updated
Apr 20, 2022
Main use of this computer
For home and private use
Operating system
macOS 15 Sequoia
On-device encryption
Device sign-in security
Security updates
Allow security updates and latest features
User Account Control (UAC)
Notify me only when programs try to make changes to my computer
Smart App Control
Network firewall
Real-time protection
Windows Defender
Device firewall
Microsoft Defender Firewall
Custom security settings
None
Periodic malware scanners
None
Malware sample testing
I do not participate in malware testing
Browsers and extensions
Chrome, Google Search
As an addon I only use I don't care about cookies.

I rarely use uBlock Origin and others. For websites I visit frequently, I have a premium subscription. Then I have no advertising.
Secure DNS
Sporadically Cloudflare 1.1.1.1, but not because of "security" but for web development, so that DNS entries and name servers synchronise quickly.

Otherwise the DNS server from my ISP provider
Desktop VPN
None
Password and passkey manager
Built-in password manager in Chrome
Maintenance tools
Windows built-in tools
File and photo backups
iCloud for photos and files
System recovery
None
Usage and exposure
    • Working from home
    • Visiting familiar websites
    • Visiting unknown or untrusted websites
    • Opening email attachments
    • Online shopping and card payments
    • Logging into my bank account
    • Downloading software and files from reputable sites
    • Requesting and accepting remote access
    • Streaming audio/video content from trusted sites or paid subscriptions
    • Streaming from untrusted sites
    • Coding and development
Computer specs
Thinkpad T440P. Another 1.5 years, then I'll certainly get a Mac.
i5-4300M with 180gb SSD and 8gb RAM.
Feedback preference

Only essential issues, please

AlanOstaszewski

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Hello,
I have a get-work-done security configuration. My security configuration is limited to Windows Defender. I do not need more than that. I want my laptop to work when I open it up. For that, I don't need four real time scanners in the background stealing my performance.
But what is very important to me are strong passwords and two-factor authentication for every website.

Such a minimalist configuration is certainly not recommended to many. But I personally don't need more. Moreover, I don't have the time to spend on it.
 
Welcome back @AlanOstaszewski

I can try to help about "Network Firewall" that's means your router... just in case you may overlooked?

config.png
 

Recently browsing

Members who viewed this thread in the last 5 minutes

Back
Top