Basic Security Alexai's PC Security Config

Original forum configuration · expand details
Last updated
Aug 12, 2023
Main use of this computer
For home and private use
Operating system
macOS 15 Sequoia
On-device encryption
Not applicable
Device sign-in security
    • Automatic sign-in / no sign-in required
Security updates
Allow security updates
Update channels
Allow stable updates only
User Account Control (UAC)
Always notify
Smart App Control
Off
Network firewall
Enabled
Real-time protection
Microsoft Defender
Device firewall
Microsoft Defender Firewall
Custom security settings
Malwarebytes Windows Firewall Control
Periodic malware scanners
N/A
Malware sample testing
I do not participate in malware testing
Environment for malware testing
N/A
Browsers and extensions
uBlock Origin
Secure DNS
Quad9
Desktop VPN
N/A
Password and passkey manager
KeePassXC, Bitwarden
Maintenance tools
N/A
File and photo backups
Cobian Reflector
System recovery
N/A
Usage and exposure
    • Visiting familiar websites
    • Browsing the Internet without an ad-blocker
    • Visiting unknown or untrusted websites
    • Online shopping and card payments
    • Logging into my bank account
    • Gaming
    • Gaming with third-party mods
Computer specs
Aerofara TANK56
AMD Ryzen 5 5600U
Feedback preference

Detailed suggestions and alternatives welcome

Alexai

Level 3
Hello everybody, (and sorry for my english)

1. first of my desires is to replace O&O ShutUp10++ - so, reset settings, and go with a new software (something like privacy sexy or winddows decrapifier)

2. I used Andy Ful soft in the past, then I replace it with DefenderUI - same thing of the first point, I've to undo all the changes did by Andy's soft.
For me, its software it's too much complicated, to choose which it's right for me, and I wanna a set-and-forget thing.

3. Now the big question about browser. Months ago a migrate from vivaldi to edge, even if I really like favourites right sidebar by vivaldi. When I found this Which browsers are best for privacy? , ok, maybe edge is even worse than vivaldi, but on my pc has sensational perfomance - I've never get back, but I wanna go over. I'm planning from months to replace edge with brave, but perfomance seems not to be the same (I've to test it more).

Unfortunately on chrome-like browsers there's no tab containering feature as on firefox - could someone make me sure tab's data is unreadable by another one?
I dunno if I'm explaining clearly, sorry. So, for example, if in one tab I'm on facebook and in another one on twitter?

Last thing is uBlock configuration, I dunno what to do, I wanna a set'n forget setting.
 
Last edited:
Recommend to enable Windows Hello for additional user account privacy and security.

Windows Hello is Microsoft’s login system for Windows 10 and Windows 11 computers. It supports biometric authentication methods – like facial recognition, iris scans and fingerprints – which help to ensure that not just anyone can get into your laptop.

These methods are faster, easier and generally understood to be more secure than entering a typical password.
Learn more: What is Windows Hello? The biometric security system explained
 
That test made by Brave oversimplifies things, it applies to default browsers settings and basically 3rd party adblocker, that is pretty much what Brave is all about.
Unfortunately on chrome-like browsers there's no tab containering feature as on firefox
No, because Chromium browsers approach/name it differently. They have Partitioned cookies, Strict-Origin-Isolation, Storage Buckets, various sandboxes, etc.
 
That test made by Brave oversimplifies things, it applies to default browsers settings and basically 3rd party adblocker, that is pretty much what Brave is all about.

No, because Chromium browsers approach/name it differently. They have Partitioned cookies, Strict-Origin-Isolation, Storage Buckets, various sandboxes, etc.
Ah ok. So you think I can reach same results with a well-configured chrome-like browser, I suppose

Ok, that's clearer to me.
I know you didn't ask for this but it seems that you don't have/use any backup plan or software.
Sometimes I do a backup witj Cobian Reflector on an external hdd
 
Use default filters plus your choice of imported filter lists, or use Ghostery.

Edit: ConfigureDefender on High setting is simple and problem-free.
I don't like ghostery. But you give me the force to read how to block frame on ublock origin, adding it to my filters list. I'll test and maybe I'll block also script.

I don't know, DefenderUI is only one soft, Andy makes different versions, choose which to use is already a problem for me.
No periodic scan ? (Malwarebytes, Emsisoft and co)
No backup software or Maintenance tools ?
I have a lot of scanner, I use them always less.
Backup: Cobian Reflector, no one knows here? I really like it.
Maintenance like what? I let windows does itself.

Thank you guys, I really appreciate your suggestions.
 
Backup: Cobian Reflector, no one knows here? I really like it.
For sure! Cobian is good backup software. The developer sold the source code years ago and started a new project: Cobian Reflector (it seems he is good at coding but not at choosing names) Anyway, Cobian is a really old (but not outdated) and solid, but it only works for files.

What about a system backup/recovery program? Not a must, since your files are safe with Cobian, but you can save a lot of time if you need to reinstall and setup your OS.
 
For sure! Cobian is good backup software. The developer sold the source code years ago and started a new project: Cobian Reflector (it seems he is good at coding but not at choosing names) Anyway, Cobian is a really old (but not outdated) and solid, but it only works for files.

What about a system backup/recovery program? Not a must, since your files are safe with Cobian, but you can save a lot of time if you need to reinstall and setup your OS.
I've never investigated the thing, because I've never needed it. But a reset from windows system settings? Or can you suggest me something? :giggle:
 
I'm learning dynamic filtering by uBlock Origin, it's simply fantastic, you have the power in your finger, i'ts almost funny, block frame and script and unblock only resources you need.

But, for my mum, that's not a tech person, is static filtering by uBlockOrigin the best yet? Or is there something new?
 
I'm learning dynamic filtering by uBlock Origin, it's simply fantastic, you have the power in your finger, i'ts almost funny, block frame and script and unblock only resources you need.
Indeed, there is some learning curve but sooner or later you understand intuitively what needs unblocking to fix breakage. Keeping dynamic filtering rules only for sites you typically visit is the best tip I got. Otherwise, temporary rules for the rest. 👍:cool:
 

Recently browsing

Members who viewed this thread in the last 5 minutes

Back
Top