All the added security on systems

Jengo

Level 6
Thread author
Well-known
Nov 9, 2022
I was just wondering, when i read the pc config topic from all the members, some go to the max for advanced security, is this really necessary ?
I dont think on 99,9% of all the systems contain top secret NASA information.
And what are the chances you encounter Malware or being infected when you turn on your computer ?

I think we just need a good AV with Firewall and you be safe to go.

Just my thoughts.

Freki123

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Aug 10, 2013
I would agree that some of the setups are overkill. For most people here it's also a hobby (would be my guess).
On the other hand the "Windows Malware Removal Help & Support" section here still gets request pretty frequently...

mlnevese

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 3, 2015
There are a lot of paranoid people on security forums like this that tighten their security so much it must be hell to use their own computers... For the average user, lighter security is all you really need. A good security suite, if you don't want to deal with default deny software, and some Windows hardening.

Some good navigation habits is also a must. For instance, I recently received a very good scam email. It looked like the real thing, every detail of the usual e-mails from that company. But there were a few giveaways, the email links would lead me to an address that didn't belong to the company, for instance. Quite similar but there were differences.

Hardening Windows is a clever idea, but you must know what you are doing. People asking for help to change some Windows setting that is "locked by administrator" are almost as common as people who think they were infected by something in the forum.

Other than Scam E-mails I haven't seem a live malware I didn't download on purpose for quite a few years.

Now if you are a potential target, high profile or work with secret information, then things are different, of course. As a general guideline, if you work with secret information, DO NOT COPY IT TO A PERSONAL COMPUTER. If you do, make sure that whoever deals with security in your corporation/government agency do the tightening for you. There is a reason most companies/government agencies provide pre-configured computers for home use. Just don't blame your security suite for sending the secret malware you are creating for analysis if you decide to do it at home in your own computer:)

Last edited:

Jonny Quest

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 2, 2023
Agree with the above posts. My main concern (other than a good AV and Firewall) is online privacy and security. I do have most if not all of the Windows Permissions disabled, but as of now, I'm going over my website log-ins and passwords and resetting some of the weaker ones and renewing others, as well as enabling 2FA where I can.

Last edited:

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
I was just wondering, when i read the pc config topic from all the members, some go to the max for advanced security, is this really necessary ?
Every little bit helps, for example I applied EnableCertPaddingCheck last year, because of Zloader and this year it is widely abused by 3CX.
So while you might think, that it is a little thing, hackers are looking just for that, for something to exploit, that it is not protected by default.
I think we just need a good AV with Firewall and you be safe to go.
People, who just use AV, get infected all the time, so it is not really working out. All this extra work now, saves me the work afterwards.
I do not mind getting infected, but loosing access to my accounts, now that is unimaginable, I would do not even know how to recover.

Last edited:
  • +Reputation
Reactions: Nevi and oldschool

EascapenMatrix

Level 1
Apr 25, 2022
For most sensible user only firewall and hardening is enough. But we as human are curious and many times due to this nature we make mistakes. That's why I think hardening should be good for such people. Yes, hardening causes issues and user or the person doing should know what they are doing. But if people will just use good browsing habits. It can be avoided.

For inexperienced users I think hardening and teaching good digital habits including av & firewall is must.

• Hundred Points
Reactions: Nevi and Oldie1950

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I have moved this thread to Community Feedback

There seems to be some misunderstanding about the use of Prefixes.

All newly posted threads are auto-assigned as Unverified. This means our SCW moderator has yet to see the set-up. Only once reviewed and feedback has been provided, our moderator will then assign a thread prefix that fits best to the information the thread creator has shared. Less or vague details = more chance of lower rating.
  • Danger
  • At-Risk
  • Basic Security
  • Advanced Security
  • Advanced Plus Security

There are many threads that will tell you a "Good AV with Firewall" isn't an all-in-one solution to be malware-free.

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.