Advice Request Alternate DNS experience

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Soulbound

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
When we speak about DNS services, the top ones are usually, Google DNS, Open DNS, Cloudflare DNS, Quad 9 DNS and Alternate DNS.

I have used in the past Alternate DNS on my Android devices when I wasn't using a rooted setup and it felt a bit faster than Adguard DNS and it seemed to block most ads. After acquiring a new device, I am yet to set up a DNS.

Have any MT users tried Alternate DNS and if so whats your experience?

Link:

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
When we speak about DNS services, the top ones are usually, Google DNS, Open DNS, Cloudflare DNS, Quad 9 DNS and Alternate DNS.

I have used in the past Alternate DNS on my Android devices when I wasn't using a rooted setup and it felt a bit faster than Adguard DNS and it seemed to block most ads. After acquiring a new device, I am yet to set up a DNS.

Have any MT users tried Alternate DNS and if so whats your experience?

Link:
I used Alternate DNS in the past for a few months and I was really like it
Unfortunately, 1 day, it stopped all of my connections and required a subscription to continue the service :cry: They don't mention anything about this trial thingie on their website or my searching skill is not good enough
A sad ending to a love story

you may try NextDNS. If don't know if it's good in your area. You can change a few settings like custom blocklist in its dashboard similarly to adguard for desktop

Untitled.png

Soulbound

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
NextDNS for me is not fully usable due to the amount of queries per month and the main issue is adding filter lists will not hide empty fields:

Can NextDNS hide black spaces used by blocked ads?

Written by NextDNS Team
Updated over a week ago
Unfortunately, this is not doable at the DNS level. You need a browser extension like uBlock Origin for that.

Last edited:

Jan Willy

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 5, 2019
NextDNS for me is not fully usable due to the amount of queries per month and the main issue is adding filter lists will not hide empty fields:

Can NextDNS hide black spaces used by blocked ads?

Written by NextDNS Team
Updated over a week ago
Unfortunately, this is not doable at the DNS level. You need a browser extension like uBlock Origin for that.
Or use Adguard Desktop (on system level) only with cosmetic filters such as Nano placeholder-buster.
Edit:
If larger filterlists are not a problem for you then I recommend Adguard annoyances.

Last edited:
Reactions: Protomartyr

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.