Alternatives to CCleaner

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
Just about every registry cleaner listed there (including CCleaner) has issues with false positives, so should be used with caution. Or better yet, never clean the registry.

Cortex

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 4, 2016
I use Privacy Eraser.
I like the way it excludes the cookies I want to keep.
I agree & it's easy to add folders/data etc you may wish delete that's not an option in the standard set-up, as you can in CCleaner.

Reactions: oldschool

Kantry123

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Oct 20, 2014
I have used many 3rd-Party programs before, Using these tools will always cause some problems or the other in Windows and some changes in windows had forced me to either Restore or Reset PC completely.
What I've observed is if we use Windows built in tools to Clean like DISK CLEANUP/ STORAGE SENSE and tweaking it windows works far more stable without any hiccups.
3rs party tool i'm using is for Uninstalling Programs (Total Uninstaller)where some programs are poorly written causing some leftover's in C drive .

Cortex

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 4, 2016
I have used many 3rd-Party programs before, Using these tools will always cause some problems or the other in Windows and some changes in windows had forced me to either Restore or Reset PC completely.
What I've observed is if we use Windows built in tools to Clean like DISK CLEANUP/ STORAGE SENSE and tweaking it windows works far more stable without any hiccups.
3rs party tool i'm using is for Uninstalling Programs (Total Uninstaller)where some programs are poorly written causing some leftover's in C drive .
My issue is others use this PC while I'm either not in or I'm away, it's handy & always works well. My other half has her own lappy prefers to use this desk PC mainly I think because she can actually find it? Same reason for other I suppose - Her job is somewhat sensitive & although no protocol is broken by using this PC it's the proper thing for her to clean all browsing history etc. after she has researched or whatever at least to a casual observer, also I believe in basic privacy for others.
A one or two icon task-bar press is ideal (only way!) for her & others - I would not sleep at night if I thought my dearest & others were wandering around in my PC with Windows clean up tool in her hands :eek:

If the PC gets buggered up I can restore C:\as image frequently & or instruct someone how do do this easy. Otherwise I could just use built in cleaner & frankly probably manage with very little AV.

Last edited:
Reactions: oldschool

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
I have tried several and always use CCleaner.:giggle:
It is still the best browser cleaner. I wanted to give another try, but with every new version, they bring something more repulsive.
Like, when I am trying to run the portable version, it takes ~30 secs just to open, desperately trying to connect. :cautious:

Attachments

• capture_05082019_182730.jpg
    capture_05082019_182730.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 286

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
I highly recommend Wise Disk Cleaner. It's safe to use and because it can clean data from a large numer of 3rd party applications, it can free up more space than CCleaner does. Also, you can schedule it to run weekly for example.

I don't recommend Wise Care 365, as while its included tweaks are safe, its registry cleaner will sometimes want to delete needed registry keys. Wise Disk Cleaner, clean just as much junk, much does not include a registry cleaner. I know you are looking for a registry cleaner, but usually there is no need to ever clean the registry.

If you insist on cleaning the registry, Auslogics Registry Cleaner is a good choice, as it will never delete needed registry keys. It is safe to enable every scan category except for Missing Software.

I was going to check out Wise Disk Cleaner...but my router blocked the download page. So, I'll just leave it for now. It seems AVs don't like these type of programs as the portable version of Bleachbit has a hit on VirusTotal for a worm.

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
I was going to check out Wise Disk Cleaner...but my router blocked the download page. So, I'll just leave it for now. It seems AVs don't like these type of programs as the portable version of Bleachbit has a hit on VirusTotal for a worm.
I wouldn't take any notice of the single detection at VirusTotal. A few of the scanners that VT uses, have have major issues with false positives. Cleaning software often gets detected as PUPs.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.