Advice Request Amazon Firestick- risk of pirate streaming apps

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

jetman

Level 10
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jun 6, 2017
I have an Amazon Firestick which I use to stream TV using legitimate apps such as iPlayer etc on home WiFi.

However, I am aware that it is possible to allow the installation of Apps from outside the Amazon App store which can show pirated content. How much of a security risk does this represent ? Would it be such a risk if the Firestick is connected to a guest network ?

I don't do this myself- but I know someone who does and I keep telling him its a risk. However, he says that because any malware would be confined to the firestick and it runs on a guest network there is little risk. He has a point, but I am not so sure.

Reactions: Balrog and Nevi

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
First it is illegal.

Risk of malware including miners.
Link: ADB.Miner: More Information

Risk of attacking the router
Link: This Android-infecting Trojan malware uses your phone to attack your router | ZDNet

Amazon's FireOS is built on an unsupported versions of Android.
Link: Fire OS
Link: Amazon Fire TV

1615156283037.png

Source: Android version history

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
Here is one good example among many what can happen and extra so with sellers/suppliers.

jetman

Level 10
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jun 6, 2017
Thanks for the replies- the person I know who is using his Fire TV for pirate streaming lives in New Zealand so well outside USA jurisdiction. However, it is still illegal and always the prospect of being caught! I must admit, I have been tempted but it’s the risk of polluting my network with malware that puts me off the most. Luckily I can afford Netflix which does everything I need. And I don’t need to worry about a knock at my door.

What interests me from a technical point of view is HOW any malware could cause problems. I note the post from Spawn about potential infection of a router, but that attack appears to rely on guessing the admin password. Even if the TV stick has been infected, it would surely have limited opportunity to do any damage if it only has access to a guest network ?

Reactions: Nevi

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
The majority of streaming apps do not contain malware. The main reason not to use them is that's its illegal, rather than the apps being harmful.
However, there are a few apps which can track your location and some such as Mobdro which give you the option to use your device as proxy.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.