An out-of-band update addresses an issue preventing installing or opening Xbox Game Pass games

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
Oh wow, it's a judgement call, amirr. You will have to make that decision in your best interest. To me: "optional" means it's not urgent. So, it's at your discretion, especially if you don't want to do the cleanup after it's installed. At least at the next cumulative update, it'll be moot and you won't need to worry about it. :)

Edit: I use XBox so I applied this update.

Last edited:

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Should you install the KB5004476 update on Windows 10?

Obviously, if you weren’t affected by Microsoft Store failures when downloading certain games, there’s no need to install out of the band.

There is a reason why it’s labelled “optional” and it’s possible that you can run into other issues if you apply the update that you don’t really need.

When the problem first emerged, folks were able to address Store failures by resetting the Xbox app and clearing the Windows Store cache, but that’s obviously far from ideal (as it could break other functionality on the OS). To help those users, Microsoft launched an investigation last month, and a fix has been provided swiftly today.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.