An unusual problem arises during the installation of "Discord".

Boring

Level 2
Thread author
Jan 21, 2020
Hi Guys!

Could someone PLEASE teach me how to get this fix as i was trying to install discord, but i seem to have a problematic issue which i dont understand what went wrong.

Attachments

• SquirrelSetup.log
    41.9 KB · Views: 214
Reactions: [correlate]

Aggravatorx

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Jan 30, 2013
hi, im not an expert but why install Discord now when they are having malware problems on what i have been reading
There are different forms of Discord malware, and each has its own way of spreading and infecting your devices.

1. Corrupted Discord installation file
Users can modify their Discord Javascript files. If a cybercriminal gains user permission, they can add malicious code to Discord's client files. Once users launch the file, they also execute the code. The hacker can then access the user's Discord data.

This attack is particularly difficult to detect. Antivirus software will probably not recognize the corrupt code. However, if Discord detects that someone modified the files while it's updating, it warns the user and asks whether to continue to run the client. You can also check files manually for suspicious additions. You can find lots of info online on what to look for.

this is the site Discord malware explained with more information

like i said im no expert just trying to help it says uninstall and try to install again Discord in article but what im reading i would not install them
until they figure there security out go to twitch or something else until then {my thoughts}

sure members will respond with more input that can help you better this is just my thought on Discord right now

Upvote 0

Boring

Level 2
Thread author
Jan 21, 2020
hi, im not an expert but why install Discord now when they are having malware problems on what i have been reading
There are different forms of Discord malware, and each has its own way of spreading and infecting your devices.

Users can modify their Discord Javascript files. If a cybercriminal gains user permission, they can add malicious code to Discord's client files. Once users launch the file, they also execute the code. The hacker can then access the user's Discord data.

This attack is particularly difficult to detect. Antivirus software will probably not recognize the corrupt code. However, if Discord detects that someone modified the files while it's updating, it warns the user and asks whether to continue to run the client. You can also check files manually for suspicious additions. You can find lots of info online on what to look for.

like i said im no expert just trying to help it says uninstall and try to install again Discord in article but what im reading i would not install them
until they figure there security out go to twitch or something else until then {my thoughts}

sure members will respond with more input that can help you better this is just my thought on Discord right now

Hi there!
Thank you for sharing on this piece of crucial information, and i am much aware of it now.
Do you have any other alternatives to "discord"?

Upvote 0

Atlas147

Level 30
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 28, 2014

The first attack mainly focuses on getting users to install discord through a tampered installer, quite a basic premise of other software that requires you to install files as well. Bottom line for this is only install discord through official releases on their site.

The second attack focuses on social engineering, where phishing links are sent via discord. Again quite a simple premise that many other instant messaging apps can fall prey to, even telegram, whatsapp or signal. Bottom line is don't open any strange links that people you don't personally know send you, even if you've supposedly "won" $1 000 000.

I don't think completely faulting discord on these 2 attacks are justified, yes they should be able to do more to prevent this, however it's also your own responsibility as a user to check the installer file you have is from a reputable source and also the links you click in the app are from someone you know.

• Thanks
Reactions: Boring
Upvote 0

Aggravatorx

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Jan 30, 2013
Alternatives to Discord
Mumble. Mumble is an open source, low-latency, high quality voice chat software primarily intended for use while gaming. ...
Riot.im. A free instant messaging and collaboration software based on the Matrix protocol. ...
Telegram. ...
Tox. ...
Slack. ...
Wire. ...
TeamSpeak. ...
Matrix.org.

these perhaps go to discord we page just do not install thats what i do hope it helps

• Thanks
Reactions: Boring
Upvote 0

Aggravatorx

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Jan 30, 2013
Alternatives to Discord
Mumble. Mumble is an open source, low-latency, high quality voice chat software primarily intended for use while gaming. ...
Riot.im. A free instant messaging and collaboration software based on the Matrix protocol. ...
Telegram. ...
Tox. ...
Slack. ...
Wire. ...
TeamSpeak. ...
Matrix.org.

these perhaps go to discord web page just do not install thats what i do hope it helps
web page

Upvote 0

Aggravatorx

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Jan 30, 2013
The first attack mainly focuses on getting users to install discord through a tampered installer, quite a basic premise of other software that requires you to install files as well. Bottom line for this is only install discord through official releases on their site.

The second attack focuses on social engineering, where phishing links are sent via discord. Again quite a simple premise that many other instant messaging apps can fall prey to, even telegram, whatsapp or signal. Bottom line is don't open any strange links that people you don't personally know send you, even if you've supposedly "won" $1 000 000.

I don't think completely faulting discord on these 2 attacks are justified, yes they should be able to do more to prevent this, however it's also your own responsibility as a user to check the installer file you have is from a reputable source and also the links you click in the app are from someone you know.

no they actually have been having problems with downloads even from there own sources . they have been having alot of problems to date
as i said trying to have above aware of problems and its been more then just 2 attacks.

Upvote 0

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
Could someone PLEASE teach me how to get this fix as i was trying to install discord, but i seem to have a problematic issue which i dont understand what went wrong.
Failed to remove existing directory on full install, is the app still running???
Have you stopped Discord prior to updating it? Also it might have a problem updating an outdated version 301 to 306. Try a full setup instead.
Code:
https://discordapp.com/api/download?platform=win

Upvote 0

Boring

Level 2
Thread author
Jan 21, 2020
Have you stopped Discord prior to updating it? Also it might have a problem updating an outdated version 301 to 306. Try a full setup instead.
Code:
https://discordapp.com/api/download?platform=win

Hi @TairikuOkami
i just download the (exe file) and click install, then the error pops out.
i really don't know what to do now.

Attachments

• 1588428806600.png
    1588428806600.png
    5.5 KB · Views: 223
Upvote 0

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
no they actually have been having problems with downloads even from there own sources . they have been having alot of problems to date
as i said trying to have above aware of problems and its been more then just 2 attacks.
Wait, if I am understanding you correctly, if you download the official discord app from their site you still get served malware?

Upvote 0

CyberTech

Level 44
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 10, 2017
Umm, go to Start menu, type 'Run' open it then type ''%temp%'' as you can see files list delete all then type ''temp'' on Run again delete them, and try install discord

Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.