Advice Request Android 11 turns Accessibility Service off for Password Managers

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

SearchLight

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 3, 2017
I have used Android versions for years and never encountered a problem like this before with any Password Manager that I have used.

I recently purchased a new Android phone with Android 11 OS. I have used Roboform for years, and then noticed when I installed it on this phone, occasionally Accessibility Service would turn off by itself, so it would not autofill a password that I needed. I contacted Roboform tech support, and they suggested that I turn off Battery Optimization for Roboform which I did. It did not resolve the issue. When I contacted them again, they blamed the problem on Android 11.

Figuring that it was a problem indigenous to Roboform, I switched to Bitwarden. I turned Battery Optimization off for Bitwarden, and still on occasion Accessibility Service turns off by itself. The only workaround that I have discovered so far that works is by not allowing Bitwarden to lock itself, and stay active, and if not, reactivate accessibility service manually again for the app. The caveat is that if I don't lock the PW manager, I am only relying on the PIN I used to protect my phone for the security.

On Android 10, and older versions, I could lock my Password Managers with separate PINS or Passwords without any issues.

Btw, just for giggles, I tried the free version of Last Pass on my new phone, and that does not seem to autofill some of my apps like Roboform and Bitwarden could albeit when accessibility service did not turn off.

I am starting to think this is a glitch with the Android 11 OS. Otherwise my phone works great.

Anyone experience similar issues or have workarounds? Thanks.

Reactions: Venustus and Nevi

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
I'm using Android 10, not 11. But I tried several password managers recently on Xiaomi phone and RoboForm was the only one that would work. It would seem that the others did not work well with Xiaomi's MIUI version of Android. In your case it could be an issue with a customised version of Android, unless your phone came with stock Android.

Reactions: Venustus and Nevi

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I recently purchased a new Android phone with Android 11 OS. I have used Roboform for years, and then noticed when I installed it on this phone, occasionally Accessibility Service would turn off by itself, so it would not autofill a password that I needed. I contacted Roboform tech support, and they suggested that I turn off Battery Optimization for Roboform which I did. It did not resolve the issue. When I contacted them again, they blamed the problem on Android 11.
Disable Battery Saver.

SearchLight

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 3, 2017
Disabled Battery Saver and still had problems with Roboform and Bitwarden.

Recently, bought 1 year of LastPass Premium, and it seems to be working on my phone but we'll see.

Reactions: Gandalf_The_Grey

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.