Android (Security Check)

P4nd4mon4

Thread author
Dec 3, 2015
Any insight (except that which is asinine or comedic) is appreciated.

[My apologies if I posted this in the wrong place]

Long story short, I've been a fan of RPG Maker, sadly, I don't own a computer. However, there is a mobile RPG Maker emulator called "ChocoR2K" which allows you to play RPG Maker 2000/2003 games on your phone/tablet.

However, VirusTotal says it has the viruses known as Fobus and Olympus. Both of these are used to create banking accounts, text premium numbers, and so forth.

My question is, should I be concerned with these results or are they false positives?

Antivirus scan for 52605f9fc1296a058553af39ac55c40b489e06697369934d223aef3c8dfd8919 at 2015-12-03 16:46:30 UTC - VirusTotal

From my point of view, it doesn't seem like a threat, since only 3 of 50+ antivirus programs determine it to be "dangerous", but a professional or semi-professional opinion would be nice to have.

There's a lot of important information on my phone and hindering it would probably ruin my career status and college status.

L

LabZero

First of all on our Forum there aren't comedic or asinine opinions but there are opinions, questionable or not but always opinions.

Now, from VT analysis just seems the emulator you mention: Choco R2k Player and the detection (PUP) is refer to the fact that this app probably contains ADS.
Also the entry "unknown permission from android reference", in the app permissions, doesn't mean the app is infected. It's just not a standard permission from Android SDK.

So, in my opinion, it's a false positive.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.