Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
Source: Android's October 2020 Security Update Patches 48 Vulnerabilities | SecurityWeek.Com
The October 2020 security updates for Android patch a total of 48 vulnerabilities, including critical-severity flaws that affect Qualcomm closed-source components.

Twenty of the vulnerabilities described in the latest Android Security Bulletin were patched as part of the 2020-10-01 security patch level, the most important of which is a high-risk bug in System that could allow a remote attacker to gain additional permissions.

A total of ten issues were fixed in Android System this month, all rated high severity. Two of these are elevation of privilege bugs, while the remaining eight are information disclosure vulnerabilities.

Other impacted components include Android runtime (a high-risk elevation of privilege bug that could allow attackers to run arbitrary code), Framework (two elevation of privilege bugs and three information disclosure issues, all high severity), and Media Framework (three high-risk information disclosure and one medium-severity elevation of privilege).

The second part of this month’s update arrives on devices as the 2020-10-05 security patch level and addresses 28 bugs in Kernel (one flaw), MediaTek components (five issues), Qualcomm components (four vulnerabilities), and Qualcomm closed-source components (18 flaws).

Learn more:

Last edited by a moderator:

Kmr1685

Aug 3, 2020
Hi, I am using custom ROM in my mobile with September 2020 patch

Anyone running Sept or October 2020 patch who does NOT use a Google Pixel phone?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201007-195121714.jpg
    Screenshot_20201007-195121714.jpg
    187 KB · Views: 289

Kmr1685

Aug 3, 2020
Is that a Phone manufacturer update, or some custom ROM where updates are readily available?

Play Protect is Off? Chinese phone?
yes chinese brand name is oneplus 6t, yes custom rom name pixenos available in xda forums, yes play protect off for sometime now it is switched on. waiting for Android 11 stable, nowing they are doing beta testing of pixenos android 11, once stable jump to android 11.:emoji_beer:

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Does your Fingerprint sensor lags or doesn't recognize your imprint? I'm cleaning it on daily basis and still it's crap.
According to my son, there are no real problems for him. It doesn't work when the sensor/screen or your fingers are too dirty, but most of the time it works great.

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
According to my son, there are no real problems for him. It doesn't work when the sensor/screen or your fingers are too dirty, but most of the time it works great.
Wouldn't be surprised that version 6.1 is in general better. Glad to hear someone with good experience with Nokia HMD, as I might look into them next year.

L

Local Host

yes chinese brand name is oneplus 6t, yes custom rom name pixenos available in xda forums, yes play protect off for sometime now it is switched on. waiting for Android 11 stable, nowing they are doing beta testing of pixenos android 11, once stable jump to android 11.:emoji_beer:
To be fair Play Protect is as useless as it can get, there's more than enough malicious applications on Google Play.

Google can hardly policy apps that don't comply with their rules, leave alone policy malicious apps at that.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I find it to have some use. it warns me if I try to install an app from outside of the Play Store which can track me. It seems that most Android antiviruses will ignore such apps.
Security 'experts' expect 100% detection, else it's considered as useless security module.

Play Protect is a great front-end for Android, but can be improved. Its passive nature may fool some users to believing "it doesn't go anything".

Keeping Play Protect turned on is a recommended setting, one that all Android users should use.

Examples around Play Protect:
- Newest 'google-play-protect' Questions
- Unauthorised Advertising Clicks - Violation of Device and Network Abuse policy

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.