Android Security Update: October 2020 patches 48 Vulnerabilities

Vasudev

Level 33
Verified
Nov 8, 2014
Wouldn't be surprised that version 6.1 is in general better. Glad to hear someone with good experience with Nokia HMD, as I might look into them next year.
Don't waste your $$$. Invest in some other phones. They are known to destroy user-experience after a OS upgrade and even locks out bootloader, fastboot and becomes impossible to flash or roll-back w/o bricking your phone.

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
Don't waste your $$$. Invest in some other phones. They are known to destroy user-experience after a OS upgrade and even locks out bootloader, fastboot and becomes impossible to flash or roll-back w/o bricking your phone.
It's next year and I would guess they would released a few new models by then, hopefully better. I haven't made up my mind anyway as I'm still satisfied enough with my old Huawei. Extra so after it got Android 10. If they hadn't lost the Google Play access for their new models etc, I probably wouldn't have hesitated a second to stay with that brand as for example their P40 Pro+ is just silly good, but yeah expensive.

Btw, don't your warranty work? It normally does here in Sweden and a phone that would get bricked is easy to get replaced or get a common refund. Then on the other hand if you install things that is not covered by the warranty, I wouldn't be surprised.

Vasudev

Level 33
Verified
Nov 8, 2014
It's next year and I would guess they would released a few new models by then, hopefully better. I haven't made up my mind anyway as I'm still satisfied enough with my old Huawei. Extra so after it got Android 10. If they hadn't lost the Google Play access for their new models etc, I probably wouldn't have hesitated a second to stay with that brand as for example their P40 Pro+ is just silly good, but yeah expensive.

Btw, don't your warranty work? It normally does here in Sweden and a phone that would get bricked is easy to get replaced or get a common refund. Then on the other hand if you install things that is not covered by the warranty, I wouldn't be surprised.
What good is the warranty if Nokia service center flashes Russian version firmware instead of Global ROM just because Russian version is 5.x while Global version is 4.x.
You can be optimistic about waiting for Nokia devices but I was waiting for bug fixes over 6 months old which still doesn't have a fix. Some of the noted issues on Nokia 8.1 are:
  1. touchscreen freezing when its warm or during in-call.
  2. battery drain
  3. LTE coverage and speed is worse
  4. UI frame skips and lags
  5. Mic gets disabled when you have activated Hello/OK google.
  6. Crappy camera image/video quality. I'm using Gcam mod.
  7. No OZO audio recording after A10 MR update(March 2020).

Vasudev

Level 33
Verified
Nov 8, 2014

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.