• Windows 10
  • Windows Edition
    Home
    Version or Build no.
    version 1809 build 17763.253
    System type
    64-bit operating system; x64-based processor
    Security Updates
    Automatic Updates with Paused Upgrades (up to 365 days)
    User Access Control
    Always Notify
    Network Security (Firewall)
    3rd-party Firewall app by a trusted vendor
    Device Security
  • Windows Defender SmartScreen (Windows 10)
  • User Account
    Standard
    Sign-in Accounts
    Malware Testing
    I do not participate in downloading malware samples
    Real-time Web & Malware Protection
    - adguard premium 180 day extended trial with blocking of malware-domains enabled.

realtime protection turned on and set to maximum:
    - qihoo 360 total security (with bitdefender, avira and 3 native engines turned on and firewall turned on).
    - malwarebytes lifetime premium.
    RTP - Custom security settings
  • Major changes for Increased security
  • Virus and Malware Removal Tools
    - windows defender with realtime protection and controlled folder access turned off but periodic scanning turned on.
    - standalone kaspersky rescue disk 2018 (without realtime protection) that runs outside the windows environment.
    - Zemana AM without real-time protection
    - Norton power eraser
    Browsers and Extensions
    browsers: cent portable, pale moon, vivaldi, firefox
    extensions: too many to list down; includes https everywhere, etc.
    Privacy-focused Apps and Extensions
    privacy badger, scriptsafe, adguard premium 180 day extended trial with blocking of malware-domains enabled
    Password Managers
  • lastpass
  • Web Search
  • google
  • System Utilities
    ccleaner
    Data Backup
    manual copying to external hard disks
    Frequency of Data backups
    None
    System Backup
    acronis true image bootable, macrium reflect
    Frequency of System backups
    Rarely
    Computer Activity
  • PC Gaming
  • Online banking
  • Browsing web and email
  • Install new programs on a weekly basis
  • Watch movies and other entertainment content on the Internet
  • Shared device is used by family members
  • Download files from different sources
  • Office and work related tasks
  • Video or photography editing
  • Programming
  • Computer Specifications
    CPU
    Intel Core i3 4030U @ 1.90GHz Haswell ULT 22nm Technology
    RAM
    4.00GB Single-Channel DDR3 @ 798MHz (11-11-11-28)
    Motherboard
    Dell Inc. 0R1XTV (SOCKET 0)
    Graphics
    Generic PnP Monitor (1366x768@60Hz)
    Intel HD Graphics Family (Dell)
    Storage
    465GB Seagate ST500LT012-1DG142 (SATA )
    Optical Drives
    TSSTcorp DVD+-RW SU-208FB
    Audio
    Realtek High Definition Audio
    Staff Notes

This setup configuration is not recommended for most users.
    We don't recommend that you copy this setup for your system unless you understand the security implications. We cannot not be held responsible for problems that may occur to your device by using this security setup.

This setup may cause performance issues, system instability or conflicts between programs, and can hinder the effectiveness of all installed antivirus products.

harlan4096

Level 63
    Verified
    Staff member
    Malware Hunter
    @anniyan:
    • Agree, Your real.time protection seems QUITE OVERKILL :emoji_astonished::emoji_cold_sweat::
    - adguard premium 180 day extended trial with blocking of malware-domains enabled -> filtering.
    - zonealarm free firewall 2019 set to maximum security -> firewall.

realtime protection turned on and set to maximum:
    - qihoo 360 total security (with bitdefender, avira and 3 native engines turned on) -> real-time antivirus suite protection + firewall.
    - malwarebytes lifetime premium -> disable its real-time protection and keep it only for on demands scans.
    - heimdal thor premium (foresight + vigilance) home 30 day trial -> also includes its own real-time antivirus suite protection + firewall + filtering.
    • Enable UAC, at least, at default level.
    • As for "Virus and Malware Removal Tools", You may add: ZAM Free and Norton Power Eraser, and MalWareBytes 4 Windows Free.
    • As for "Disk Imaging Backup", You may add Macrium Reflect Free or AOEMI Backupper, both are free and reliably.
    • Consider also to run manual backups of important data to external devices, and/or in cloud.
    So, keep qihoo 360 TS or heimdal thor premium (foresight + vigilance) and remove Adguard. In both cases removing ZoneAlaram FW.

Please kindly reflect Your changes editing Your config, and announcing them here, thanks for sharing Your config :giggle:

LDogg

Level 29
    Verified
    Only 2 layers are covered here, essential to add a backup solution, my recommendation is to use Macrium Reflect. Also please add an Adblocker and ScriptSafe to your Web browser.

Your real time protection is way too overkill, needs to be trimmed down. I'd keep Heimdal Premium.

~LDogg

anniyan

Level 1
    - thanks all for the quick suggestions. i am honestly grateful to everyone. sorry about the late response.

- actually i use torrents and hence find traffic-filtering indispensable, especially thor foresight (darklayer guard), which expired today (30-day trial). is adguard and malwarebytes premium enough to take over the job? anything free that compensates for the lack of thor foresight?

- @LDogg, i have acronis bootable iso. ok, i will try macrium reflect free. and adguard is a systemwide adblocker right, or should i add one separately to my browser? (sorry, i am not much of an expert). i can add scriptsafe, if it wont break facebook, etc.

- @harlan4096, i have UAC enabled at "do not dim desktop, but notify". is it ok? BTW,
    So, keep qihoo 360 TS or heimdal thor premium (foresight + vigilance) and remove Adguard. In both cases removing ZoneAlarm FW.
    you mean zonealarm FW is not needed? can i know why? considering the fact that i have not enabled the 360 FW.

- also i would like to know which among the following is better: zonealarm free FW or 360 FW (that comes with non-premium subscriptions) or windows FW? considering the wide use of windows FW, is it wise to use it? (i mean, malware is written mostly to circumvent widely used software right?)

thanks in advance :)

Reactions: Nevi and harlan4096

anniyan

Level 1
    Yes, but even with Bitdefender + Avira you'll miss something.
    Since Bitdefender engine is lighter than Avira's, I'd use the former only (actually, you could disable both of them and just rely on the cloud AV + the behavior blocker)
    ok, thanks for clarifying that. :)

harlan4096

Level 63
    Verified
    Staff member
    Malware Hunter
    also i would like to know which among the following is better: zonealarm free FW or 360 FW (that comes with non-premium subscriptions) or windows FW? considering the wide use of windows FW, is it wise to use it? (i mean, malware is written mostly to circumvent widely used software right?)
    If You have a security suite which comes with own integrated firewall, it is better to use it, and not to use a 3rd party Firewall which may cause issues and reduce performance and security...

jackwilli

Level 3
    Still keep MalwareBytes Premium in real-time along sise with Q360T is a bit overkill, I would keep it only for on demand scans.
    How is Malwarebytes in real time protection never turn it on for real time protection it during 14 days premium trial?