Jan 29, 2019
Windows Edition
Home
Security updates
Allow security updates
User Access Control
Always notify
Real-time security
- adguard premium 180 day extended trial with blocking of malware-domains enabled.

realtime protection turned on and set to maximum:
- qihoo 360 total security (with bitdefender, avira and 3 native engines turned on and firewall turned on).
- malwarebytes lifetime premium.
Firewall security
Periodic malware scanners
- windows defender with realtime protection and controlled folder access turned off but periodic scanning turned on.
- standalone kaspersky rescue disk 2018 (without realtime protection) that runs outside the windows environment.
- Zemana AM without real-time protection
- Norton power eraser
Malware sample testing
I do not participate in malware testing
Browser(s) and extensions
browsers: cent portable, pale moon, vivaldi, firefox
extensions: too many to list down; includes https everywhere, etc.
Maintenance tools
ccleaner
File and Photo backup
manual copying to external hard disks
System recovery
acronis true image bootable, macrium reflect
Risk factors
    • Gaming
    • Logging into my bank account
    • Browsing to popular websites
    • Downloading software and files from reputable sites
    • Streaming audio/video content from shady sites
    • Browsing to unknown / untrusted / shady sites
    • Working from home
    • Streaming audio/video content from trusted sites or paid subscriptions
Computer specs
CPU
Intel Core i3 4030U @ 1.90GHz Haswell ULT 22nm Technology
RAM
4.00GB Single-Channel DDR3 @ 798MHz (11-11-11-28)
Motherboard
Dell Inc. 0R1XTV (SOCKET 0)
Graphics
Generic PnP Monitor (1366x768@60Hz)
Intel HD Graphics Family (Dell)
Storage
465GB Seagate ST500LT012-1DG142 (SATA )
Optical Drives
TSSTcorp DVD+-RW SU-208FB
Audio
Realtek High Definition Audio
Notes by Staff Team
  1. This setup may cause performance issues, system instability or conflicts between programs, and can hinder the effectiveness of the installed antivirus products.

imuade

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 29, 2018
On Qihoo 360, I'd use Bitdefender engine only, you can switch off Avira.
By the way, how is ZoneAlarm free firewall on Windows 10 ? Have you got any nag screen asking for purchasing the pro version?

harlan4096

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
@anniyan:
  • Agree, Your real.time protection seems QUITE OVERKILL :eek::emoji_cold_sweat::
- adguard premium 180 day extended trial with blocking of malware-domains enabled -> filtering.
- zonealarm free firewall 2019 set to maximum security -> firewall.

realtime protection turned on and set to maximum:
- qihoo 360 total security (with bitdefender, avira and 3 native engines turned on) -> real-time antivirus suite protection + firewall.
- malwarebytes lifetime premium -> disable its real-time protection and keep it only for on demands scans.
- heimdal thor premium (foresight + vigilance) home 30 day trial -> also includes its own real-time antivirus suite protection + firewall + filtering.
  • Enable UAC, at least, at default level.
  • As for "Virus and Malware Removal Tools", You may add: ZAM Free and Norton Power Eraser, and MalWareBytes 4 Windows Free.
  • As for "Disk Imaging Backup", You may add Macrium Reflect Free or AOEMI Backupper, both are free and reliably.
  • Consider also to run manual backups of important data to external devices, and/or in cloud.
So, keep qihoo 360 TS or heimdal thor premium (foresight + vigilance) and remove Adguard. In both cases removing ZoneAlaram FW.

Please kindly reflect Your changes editing Your config, and announcing them here, thanks for sharing Your config :giggle:

LDogg

Level 33
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 4, 2018
Only 2 layers are covered here, essential to add a backup solution, my recommendation is to use Macrium Reflect. Also please add an Adblocker and ScriptSafe to your Web browser.

Your real time protection is way too overkill, needs to be trimmed down. I'd keep Heimdal Premium.

~LDogg

anniyan

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Mar 26, 2015
By the way, how is ZoneAlarm free firewall on Windows 10 ? Have you got any nag screen asking for purchasing the pro version?
yeah rarely i get that nagscreen, not everytime.
can i know your reason? no AV is complete. avira will catch malware that bitdefender missed right?

imuade

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 29, 2018
can i know your reason? no AV is complete. avira will catch malware that bitdefender missed right?
Yes, but even with Bitdefender + Avira you'll miss something.
Since Bitdefender engine is lighter than Avira's, I'd use the former only (actually, you could disable both of them and just rely on the cloud AV + the behavior blocker)

anniyan

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Mar 26, 2015
- thanks all for the quick suggestions. i am honestly grateful to everyone. sorry about the late response.

- actually i use torrents and hence find traffic-filtering indispensable, especially thor foresight (darklayer guard), which expired today (30-day trial). is adguard and malwarebytes premium enough to take over the job? anything free that compensates for the lack of thor foresight?

- @LDogg, i have acronis bootable iso. ok, i will try macrium reflect free. and adguard is a systemwide adblocker right, or should i add one separately to my browser? (sorry, i am not much of an expert). i can add scriptsafe, if it wont break facebook, etc.

- @harlan4096, i have UAC enabled at "do not dim desktop, but notify". is it ok? BTW,
So, keep qihoo 360 TS or heimdal thor premium (foresight + vigilance) and remove Adguard. In both cases removing ZoneAlarm FW.
you mean zonealarm FW is not needed? can i know why? considering the fact that i have not enabled the 360 FW.

- also i would like to know which among the following is better: zonealarm free FW or 360 FW (that comes with non-premium subscriptions) or windows FW? considering the wide use of windows FW, is it wise to use it? (i mean, malware is written mostly to circumvent widely used software right?)

thanks in advance :)

Reactions: Nevi and harlan4096

anniyan

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Mar 26, 2015
Yes, but even with Bitdefender + Avira you'll miss something.
Since Bitdefender engine is lighter than Avira's, I'd use the former only (actually, you could disable both of them and just rely on the cloud AV + the behavior blocker)
ok, thanks for clarifying that. :)

harlan4096

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
also i would like to know which among the following is better: zonealarm free FW or 360 FW (that comes with non-premium subscriptions) or windows FW? considering the wide use of windows FW, is it wise to use it? (i mean, malware is written mostly to circumvent widely used software right?)
If You have a security suite which comes with own integrated firewall, it is better to use it, and not to use a 3rd party Firewall which may cause issues and reduce performance and security...

jackwilli

Level 3
Verified
Jan 1, 2019
I also use zonealarm free firewall. I haven't get any nag screen to buy pro till now(28 days).

anniyan

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Mar 26, 2015
If You have a security suite which comes with own integrated firewall, it is better to use it, and not to use a 3rd party Firewall which may cause issues and reduce performance and security...
i got your point. thanks a ton :)

jackwilli

Level 3
Verified
Jan 1, 2019
Still keep MalwareBytes Premium in real-time along sise with Q360T is a bit overkill, I would keep it only for on demand scans.
How is Malwarebytes in real time protection never turn it on for real time protection it during 14 days premium trial?

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.