Level 26
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
May 14, 2016
Hello @DardiM
Can you explain to me, if possible in French what means exactly "We will grandfather in existing customers at their current price" ?
Because for me "grandfather" = "grand-père" ? :confused:
Thanks
Merci beaucoup;)
@Fritz answered before I see you post :)
I asked myself the same before I find (not with google translator, that seems to only return "grand-père") that grandfather is also a verb, by Americanism
Grandfather (as a verb)
A grandfather clause is a provision in a law or contract that allows old rules to continue to apply in certain situations. The term originated in the U.S. during the late 19th century, when conservative lawmakers seeking to enact restrictive voting laws were forced to make exceptions for young people whose grandfathers had had full voting rights before the Civil War. This is the origin of the verb grandfather, which means to exempt from new rules or restrictions (a person or thing predating the new rules or restrictions). It is often followed by in.
The problem in their sentence "...at their current price"
=> for a lifetime licence, I will only be sure once someone confirm.

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
I asked myself the same before I find (not with google translator, that seems to only return "grand-père") that grandfather is also a verb, by Americanism
Grandfather (as a verb)
A grandfather clause is a provision in a law or contract that allows old rules to continue to apply in certain situations. The term originated in the U.S. during the late 19th century, when conservative lawmakers seeking to enact restrictive voting laws were forced to make exceptions for young people whose grandfathers had had full voting rights before the Civil War. This is the origin of the verb grandfather, which means to exempt from new rules or restrictions (a person or thing predating the new rules or restrictions). It is often followed by in.
=> for a lifetime licence, I don't know if it is taken into account.
I don't think they will sell Lifetime licenses with v3. the Lifetime licenses were
from before they went to subscriptions. I have and mine for a few years now,
Since 2005 I think
Man I'm getting old :rolleyes:

DardiM

Level 26
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
May 14, 2016
I don't think they will sell Lifetime licenses with v3. the Lifetime licenses were
from before they went to subscriptions. I have and mine for a few years now.
Man I'm getting old :rolleyes:
Yes but my interrogation is : if we have got a lifetime licence (that still work with current version af MBAM even if it is now under subscription only), will MBAM 3.0 works with it ?

JB007

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 19, 2016
Grandfather (as a verb)
=> for a lifetime licence, I will only be sure once someone confirm.
Thanks @DardiM
Ah Google translate is so accurate;)

DardiM

Level 26
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
May 14, 2016
I posted that my Lifetime activated it after a fresh install, does anyone
read a full thread ? :p
If you have a lifetime key you will be upgraded, if not you have to buy it again.
Sorry, missed this one :oops:

Have you made some tests ? I made a quick test only, with 11_11_2016 samples, it left all the scripts and .doc.
90.js => payload downloaded and run (only a UAC alert), MBAM blocked each attempt to contact remote IP (a loop for the prompt => spam , lol O-o), but not detected / blocked the file (last known cerber)

(I like the GUI)

Last edited:

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
A brave move for Malwarebytes.

Hopefully they will apply all efforts, cause people nowadays are in search for some uncommon but effective product.

1) Malwarebytes Anti-Ransom should formulate more effective against ransomware cause it's an easy for bypass.
2) Incorporate pulse updates and active cloud for intensive analysis.
3) Why not incorporate a BB? Since MBAM is already an AV and they are aware on signature-less concept.

Fritz

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 28, 2015
Actually, I wonder if it's the smartest move to transform into a full-blown AV solution. They grew a nice market share out of the niche besides existing AV customers. Many potential customers might now think "ah meh I already got an AV, thanks, but no, thanks". Well, at least it seems they made it compatible with existing solutions. Looking forward to seeing how it plays out for them.

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
There are still many unsolved issues with this beta, here

Malwarebytes 3.0 Beta - Known Issues

I have HMPA and I have disabled the BadUSB (causes BSOD when terminating a USB stick) and the keyboard encryption (to avoid conflict with Zemana AntiLogger) features. If I'll to disable HMPA's anti-exploit feature too to avoid conflict with MalwareBytes then I might as well not use HMPA.

Hope they can get around the conflict with HMPA without disabling its (Malwarebytes) anti-exploit feature

Last edited:

askmark

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 31, 2016
There are still many unsolved issues with this beta, here

Malwarebytes 3.0 Beta - Known Issues

I have HMPA and I have disabled the BadUSB (causes BSOD when terminating a USB stick) and the keyboard encryption (to avoid conflict with Zemana AntiLogger) features. If I'll to disable HMPA's anti-exploit feature too to avoid conflict with MalwareBytes then I might as well not use HMPA.

Hope they can get around the conflict with HMPA without disabling its (Malwarebytes) anti-exploit feature
Thanks for the info. I'm a HMP.A user as well so will have to wait until these incompatibilities are resolved before trying this. Shame as I have a lifetime licence.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.