Ansaf's Config - Security software for my old pc

Ansaf

Thread author
Sep 10, 2014
Hi all,
please suggest me a best antivirus software for my old pc which is running xp.my pc is intel d101ggc(pentium4) with 1.5gb of ram. All i need is a best less resource consuming software. i am a daily internet user so light ad-blocker, firewall and on-demand scan apps are also needed. please do not tell me to increase RAM.

Thanks.

Aura

Level 20
Verified
Jul 29, 2014
Well, ESET products are known to be quite light-weight. If you want a good Antivirus that is really light, the lightest you can get would be Cloud-based Antiviruses like Panda Cloud.
Didn't you think of upgrading your OS and buying a new computer at this point ? Windows XP is discontinued and therefore vulnerable.

Reactions: Kent

Ansaf

Thread author
Sep 10, 2014
Well, ESET products are known to be quite light-weight. If you want a good Antivirus that is really light, the lightest you can get would be Cloud-based Antiviruses like Panda Cloud.
Didn't you think of upgrading your OS and buying a new computer at this point ? Windows XP is discontinued and therefore vulnerable.

Dear Aura,
i once installed windows 8.1 on my pc .it works good. but there is a problem with display driver, which will stuck on black screeen with mouse pointer on most startup. Is Panda cloud a good antivirus ..will it fight against viruses??

thepierrezou

Level 8
Verified
Sep 25, 2013
Qihoo IS can be a good choice.
Webroot too but the protection level is low (it's my opinion !! )

BERROHO

Level 2
Verified
Aug 30, 2014
if you want to be secured use eset with malware byte ; power and light-weight ; or 360 total securite with private well firewell

No Malware

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Aug 3, 2014
Emsisoft Anti-Malware, ESET
Both : light,very good detection,very good web protection and Emsisoft has a very good behavior blocker .

Aura

Level 20
Verified
Jul 29, 2014
Dear Aura,
i once installed windows 8.1 on my pc .it works good. but there is a problem with display driver, which will stuck on black screeen with mouse pointer on most startup. Is Panda cloud a good antivirus ..will it fight against viruses??

Panda Cloud Antivirus scored very good in the AV-Comparative tests, so yes it's a good Antivirus.
Also, what graphic card do you have and where were you installing the drivers from ?

Ansaf

Thread author
Sep 10, 2014
Panda Cloud Antivirus scored very good in the AV-Comparative tests, so yes it's a good Antivirus.
Also, what graphic card do you have and where were you installing the drivers from ?
Aura, i uses onboard graphics (ati radeon xpress 200) and i download the drivers from ati site,windows update catlog . i tested each by formating and reinstalling windows 8.1.

BERROHO

Level 2
Verified
Aug 30, 2014
everywhere means??

look i'm a newmember not a expert member ; avast so good in detecting file but he cant delet it ; and in adwares he is 000 ; you will turn arround and backing to eset the best in dtetcting an deleting after Kaspersky

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
"VM Malware Testing: No, but I plan to start testing soon" - Why do you plan on VM Malware Testing? Are you aware of the risks imposed by using a vulnerable OS?

How much HDD space do you have? Do you own an external HDD? I recommend creating regular snapshots/system image backups.

Reactions: Oxygen

Aura

Level 20
Verified
Jul 29, 2014
"VM Malware Testing: No, but I plan to start testing soon" - Why do you plan on VM Malware Testing? Are you aware of the risks imposed by using a vulnerable OS?

How much HDD space do you have? Do you own an external HDD? I recommend creating regular snapshots/system image backups.

With these specs, he can only create a Windows XP VM with like 512MBs of RAM in my opinion.
And did you check if the drivers were compatible with Windows 8.1, @Ansaf ?

Ansaf

Thread author
Sep 10, 2014
With these specs, he can only create a Windows XP VM with like 512MBs of RAM in my opinion.
And did you check if the drivers were compatible with Windows 8.1, @Ansaf ?
Aura,
on windows update catalog the drivers are for windows 8.1 32bit . i checked it.

Ansaf

Thread author
Sep 10, 2014
Not light-weight enough. Also, TrendMicro isn't the best company when it comes to personal consumer Antivirus solution.

so, in ur opinion panda is best in detection ?? if i use panda did i want to use any on-demand scanner like MBAM,etc ? and also suggest me a best ad-blocking app

Aura

Level 20
Verified
Jul 29, 2014
so, in ur opinion panda is best in detection ?? if i use panda did i want to use any on-demand scanner like MBAM,etc ? and also suggest me a best ad-blocking app

You can check the detection ratio of Panda by yourself if you want on AV-Comparative website. So performance/detection ratio wise, Panda would be the best solution.
Also, AdBlock Plus/Premium will do the job. There's another Adblocking extensions a lot of people here uses and is said to be lightweight, however I forgot it's name.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.