Battle Anti-Rootkit

Status
Not open for further replies.

3link9

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Oct 22, 2011
Alright so Rootkits have been a problem for years now and there are programs out there that are designed to remove these.

Now which do you like the best?

Kaspersky TDSSKiller

Avast Anti-Rootkit

Dr.Web CureIt! (Anti-Malware program but I consider this a great tool for rootkits)

GMER

RootRepeal

Sophos Anti-Rootkit

loveboy_lion

Level 1
Verified
Feb 23, 2012
I Think You forgot to add Comodo Cleaning essential (CCE) Its an all in one tool for removal of all kinds of virus including rootkits and disinfect your pc and its free Have you tested it
Thanks

D

Deleted member 178

CCE is my first one , then all of them in sequence until i successfully remove the rootkit. the list will be too long :D

malwarekiller

Mar 30, 2012
I am not sure what you meant by putting both GMER and aswMBR in competition but you must know that AswMBR was made by the same person who made GMER...aswMBR is using GMER and so is Avast!...

My preference:

TDL4: AswMBR/TDSSKiller

TDL3: TDSSkiller

Anything hard to track down: GMER

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
Brian said:
TDSSKiller and HitmanPro

Both tools are updated often, which means they're able to detect new variants.

Those would have to be my preference as well. Both work really well.

3link9

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Oct 22, 2011
loveboy_lion said:
I Think You forgot to add Comodo Cleaning essential (CCE) Its an all in one tool for removal of all kinds of virus including rootkits and disinfect your pc and its free Have you tested it
Thanks

Oh Jeez, I forgot about CCE, its funny because I use it all the time!

I am not sure what you meant by putting both GMER and aswMBR in competition but you must know that AswMBR was made by the same person who made GMER...aswMBR is using GMER and so is Avast!...

Oh wow, I did not know that, Thanks for letting me know :)

Didn't really do a in depth research on it.

MrXidus

Super Moderator (Leave of absence)
Apr 17, 2011
In the following order.

1. TDSSKiller (Due to being ultra quick at scanning and usually instantly lets you know if the PC is infected)
2. Hitman Pro (Will only run if there's an active internet connection)

If either of the two detect a rootkit/bootkit etc and are un-able to successfully cure it.

I will boot into DrWeb CureIt CD via SARDU Boot Disc, That usually does it for me, If I want to have a second opinion I can run the Kaspersky Rescue CD aswell.

Once I'm back onto the standard desktop, I'll run Malwarebytes, Hitman Pro and Emsisoft Emergency Kit to triple check.

I've never had luck with GMER and the last few times I tried it out, It just freezes and crashes itself.

Did you know: I deliberately infected myself with a nasty TDSS rootkit and used Rollback RX to rollback to a clean snapshot and in 30 seconds it was completely gone. (click)

Have yet to find out if SysRestore Pro can do that, It would save alot of time if a family member managed to infect themselves (again) or those pesky friends that rely on you as the PC geek to solve all their magical out-of-the-blue PC problems :rolleyes:

malwarekiller

Mar 30, 2012
3link9 said:
Oh wow, I did not know that, Thanks for letting me know :)

Didn't really do a in depth research on it.

Actually,this is very old news..in reality the person who made gmer now works for avast... http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=100878.msg806757#msg806757

and You missed this article from 2009:
https://blog.avast.com/2009/07/17/avast%E2%80%99s-top-5-hidden-gems/

Nikos

Jul 19, 2012
MrXidus said:
I will boot into DrWeb CureIt CD via SARDU Boot Disc, That usually does it for me, If I want to have a second opinion I can run the Kaspersky Rescue CD aswell.

Why do you prefer DrWeb CureIt CD as your first primary boot time scanner instead of kaspesrky';s avast or avira's?

Is DrWeb CureIt CD that good better than the others?

D

Deleted member 178

Nikos don't try to compare which one is better or faster or more advanced, test them all and then just use the one than it is easier for you to use.

"better to master a simple thing than be clumsy in using a complicated one"

malwarekiller

Mar 30, 2012
As umbra said...keep using tools..read the topics at malware removal forums...observe and take a sharp look at the logs..learn how to use tools..and then You will be a good malware remover...I have myself :D

Nikos

Jul 19, 2012
Will do! It just supreised me that MrXidus used Dr.web
Cure it as per first choise even prefered than kasperskys!

Is it that good?

P

Plexx

I use between DrWeb and TDSS Killer at first go. Depends on the mood actually. Both are just as good.

GMER is my 3rd choice, although it ain't an easy walk in the park for beginners.

Syntax

Level 1
Feb 4, 2012
I use DrWeb CureIt! CD at first before using Bitdefender Rescue CD (if needed). After that, I use 3 on-demand scanners for complete virus check on an infected machine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.