Battle Anti-Rootkit

Status
Not open for further replies.

3link9

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Oct 22, 2011
Alright so Rootkits have been a problem for years now and there are programs out there that are designed to remove these.

Now which do you like the best?

Kaspersky TDSSKiller

Avast Anti-Rootkit

Dr.Web CureIt! (Anti-Malware program but I consider this a great tool for rootkits)

GMER

RootRepeal

Sophos Anti-Rootkit

P

Plexx

Nikos, out of curiosity, have you considered downloading Oracle VirtualBox and test out some products?

We can tell you our recommendations but each recommendation is based on our preference and results each one of us achieve, thus making it impossible to fully answer your questions.

MrXidus

Super Moderator (Leave of absence)
Apr 17, 2011
Nikos said:
Why do you prefer DrWeb CureIt CD as your first primary boot time scanner instead of kaspesrky';s avast or avira's?

Umbra pretty much answered it spot on for me.

umbrapolaris said:
Don't try to compare which one is better or faster or more advanced, test them all and then just use the one than it is easier for you to use.

Why do I prefer it? DrWeb (CD Version) has earned a great reputation with me (mainly against heavy infections / the tough rootkits, worms, bootkits). I've used it countless times in the past to cure badly infected PC's, At first I did use Avira, Kaspersky CD first long before I even tried DrWeb, But while Avira, Kaspersky did help with the minor, regular infections, They did not manage to get rid of the very nasty rootkit/bootkits that many of the infected PC's had, My last resort at the time was DrWeb, Little to say it found the infection that was stopping the infected PC's from booting into the desktop and managed to cure it completely. From there on I continued to use DrWeb and it continued to work wonders for me, Now I always use it first before I use Kaspersky Rescue CD.

As for Avira Rescue CD, I stopped using it - to be honest it wasn't really doing me any good. Like I said once DrWeb gets rid of the nasty stuff which allows me to boot back into Windows, I'll use Malwarebytes, Hitman Pro, Emsisoft Rescue Kit to clean off any of the small left overs. And Avast's CD? Never tried it I don't think because it's not free. Has that changed at all? Avast BART CD I think it was called at the time.

P

Plexx

MrXidus: if not mistaken they changed the name from Avast BART CD to Avast Rescue Disc.

The current rescue disk you have to pay USD 9.99.

Nikos

Jul 19, 2012
Thank you if Dr.Web is that good ill use it too as my first option!

so if i can boot on win
a) TDDS Killer
b) Hitman Pro

If i cant boot on win

a) Dr.Web CureIt Rescue
b) Hitman Pro

Also if a system is heavily infected what happens when Dr.Web delete the nasty viruses but the system files remained damaged? What then?

Last but not least i want to hear about Avast Rescue as well even if need pay for it.

Nikos

Jul 19, 2012
I can work a workaround solution for that! The thing is it as good as Dr.Web is?

Also if a system is heavily infected what happens when Dr.Web delete the nasty viruses but the system files remained damaged? What then?

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.