Antivirus which work on Windows Server 2008

malbky

Level 1
Thread author
Jun 23, 2011
I wanted to know which antiviruses work on Server 2008 R2. I dont want the server editions instead I wanted to know which antiviruses normal ie home edition works on Windows Server 2008. I have a license so will be dual booting. Like I found Vipre works on server 2008. Also does Comodo F/w work on server?

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
malbky said:
I wanted to know which antiviruses work on Server 2008 R2. I dont want the server editions instead I wanted to know which antiviruses normal ie home edition works on Windows Server 2008. I have a license so will be dual booting. Like I found Vipre works on server 2008. Also does Comodo F/w work on server?

Normally, servers run without an AV but, they do though use some kind of security, which is called Microsoft Forefront.

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
malbky said:
I wanted some normal AVs not server specific Avs.

I would then if that's the case test it in a Virtual Machine first.

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
HeffeD said:
Although it's important to note that the server releases aren't officially supported.

Comodo's Endpoint Security Manager does support the server releases, but it is not free.

Not everything is free when it comes to Servers.

Tom172

Level 1
Feb 11, 2011
MSE works fine on Server 2008 R2, if the server license is genuine of course. There's also a Group Policy Template available to configure it.

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
What are you going to be using Windows Server for? Why, well because I think it's meant to be used as a server, not a machine t do normal internet activity on, (even though it can be done).

malbky

Level 1
Thread author
Jun 23, 2011
I will tweak it to get to a workstation machine. Woodrowbone and HeffeD are you sure Comodo works? If it does then I dont have much problems. CIS is very good. Comodo means the free version right?

HeffeD

Level 1
Feb 28, 2011
malbky said:
I will tweak it to get to a workstation machine. Woodrowbone and HeffeD are you sure Comodo works? If it does then I dont have much problems. CIS is very good. Comodo means the free version right?

I didn't say it works. I said CIS does not officially support the server releases. This means there may be compatibility issues, and if you do happen to have problems with it, you're on your own.

If you want something from Comodo that will definitely work on a server release, you'll need to pay for the Endpoint Security Manager. (As I've also already mentioned)

Tom172

Level 1
Feb 11, 2011
Ah HeffeD has pointed out, it really depends on what you're using the Server for. If you need high reliability then you're going to want to fork out for a Server specific version of an AV. If you're using it just as a standalone OS and you are ok with potential issues which may arise, go for the free route.

pcjunklist

Level 1
Dec 28, 2011
Depends on if your just messing around or if the server will be running a domain. Most of the home AV's once they detect a domain they shut down protection and say this software is not supported.

malbky

Level 1
Thread author
Jun 23, 2011
Nah its gonna be home use. Seems like Vipre is the only one which officially supports server. Has anyone had success installing comodo?

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Why the switch to Windows Server 2008?

Tom172

Level 1
Feb 11, 2011
malbky said:
Nah its gonna be home use. Seems like Vipre is the only one which officially supports server. Has anyone had success installing comodo?

It seemed to install ok in our lab environment. However it was uninstalled soon after so I can't comment on how well it performs or what problems you may encounter. MSE is the only free antivirus solution I know of that runs well on it.

woodrowbone

Level 10
Verified
Dec 24, 2011
I have been running it for over a year without any problems, running it alongside Kingsoft PC Doctor (version number:3.3.1.9) with Cloud Antivirus.

/W

malbky

Level 1
Thread author
Jun 23, 2011
Earth I am switching to server as through dreamspark I am only getting server.
Woodrowbone has comodo successfully been installed on your server? My friend also tried and he too reported success. It seems even Outpost products support server. Even Bitdefender can be used but first you have to extract the installer using 7 zip and run the .msi file

woodrowbone

Level 10
Verified
Dec 24, 2011
Like I said: Been running it over a year now, and just like you I did convert it to a workstation.
If you want speed I suggest you convert a 2003 instead, this is a speed ball when converted into a workstation.
Maybe even Immunet works on server version if I remember correctly, but then again it was a long time since I tested it.
/W

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.