Advice Request Any Good File Encryption Software?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

SearchLight

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 3, 2017
I was wondering has anyone used or recommend File Encryption software that can encrypt an important file for better security with a password?

I know that there is software that can encrypt an entire drive. I am referring specifically to single or a few multiple files.

Thanks in advance for suggestions.

Reactions: Nevi and show-Zi

show-Zi

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018
Ransomware is a great encryption software. The problem is that it's not easy to decrypt.:D

Joking aside,
You can encrypt the file by right-clicking.
If you forget the password you set individually, you will not be able to decrypt it, so be careful.

codswollip

Level 23
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 29, 2017
I was wondering has anyone used or recommend File Encryption software that can encrypt an important file for better security with a password?

I know that there is software that can encrypt an entire drive. I am referring specifically to single or a few multiple files.

• +Reputation
Reactions: show-Zi

amitkumargiri

Level 1
Mar 13, 2022
I use Veracrypt , it's free and opensource

Thanks in advance for suggestions

LM77

Level 1
Verified
Sep 11, 2016
Jetico's BCArchive (free);
Nordlocker (can be used for free for unlimited numbers of files on your computer; also offers a cloud-based option with up to 3 GB of storage for free, more storage requires payment)

Reactions: show-Zi
F

ForgottenSeer 77194

I recommend Cryptomator for General purpose, better than Veracrypt for Cloud Storage.
But for your case, encrypting individual files, a reputable archiver with good encryption is better.

JasonUK

Level 5
Apr 14, 2020
Still using AxCrypt v1.7 (free) which was last version before v2.x (paid) launched which introduced cloud integration/online master password etc etc. Have also used Kryptel's free encryption software Kryptelite which worked okay too. Passwording archives works well in Peazip but I've experienced corrupted archives trying to do the same with 7zip which is why I stopped using 7zip entirely.

Last edited:
Reactions: SearchLight

Viotto

From BreakingSecurity.net
Verified
Developer
Mar 5, 2022
I add my recommendation for VeraCrypt, as many users above me did.
With VeraCrypt you can create a container file (which you can hide around in the file system), and place your sensitive files inside it.
You can mount and unmount this container file and it will need your password to be mounted.

mkoundo

Level 8
Verified
Well-known
Jul 21, 2017
the grand-daddy of them all; GPG

can encrypt a single file. GPG mainly uses asymmetric cryptography, so to decrypt your file you'd need your private keyfile and password. However, it also has the option of running symmetric encryption where you can encrypt/decrypt a file using a password only. Asymmetric is much more secure though.

Last edited:

LM77

Level 1
Verified
Sep 11, 2016
the grand-daddy of them all; GPG

can encrypt a single file. GPG mainly uses asymmetric cryptography, so to decrypt your file you'd need your private keyfile and password. However, it also has the option of running symmetric encryption where you can encrypt/decrypt a file using a password only. Asymmetric is much more secure though.
If you want to use GPG, it's extremely advisable to use GPG4Win, a backend which makes GPG a lot more user-friendly.

F

ForgottenSeer 94943

I am using Cryptomator to create encrypted vaults on my external hard drives and my cloud storage accounts.
If I want to encrypt individual files, I use Peazip.

codswollip

Level 23
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 29, 2017

Reactions: rain2reign

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.