Any reliable ad blockers for Android without root?

Status
Not open for further replies.

brod56

Level 15
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 13, 2017
I will soon leave my rooted Galaxy A5 2016 in favor of the Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact, which I won't root in the first times.
I'm currently very happy with my adblocking solution, Adaway, but it requires root.
Any good free ad blocker solutions without root for Android atm?
I'm not looking for VPN or browser-based extensions, I'm looking for a system-wide solution.
I appreciate all suggestions :)

Reactions: upnorth and ng4ever

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
I think the only working solution in your phone is using Adguard DNS

the other solution is DNS66 but it requires a virtual VPN connection but at least it's better than adguard app and also drains much less battery

brod56

Level 15
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 13, 2017

the other solution is DNS66 but it requires a virtual VPN connection but at least it's better than adguard app and also drains much less battery

Can I change the DNS of all networks, including GSM networks, without messing with build.prop?
I know it's possible to change the Dns for a individual wifi spot, but I wonder if I can apply it system wide.

Last edited:
Reactions: upnorth

brod56

Level 15
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 13, 2017
Reactions: upnorth

Jaspion

Level 17
Verified
Jun 5, 2013
Thanks, I will try it out on my current phone after disabling Adaway, will give feedback soon.
Quick feedback: it generates a VPN connection, and as I already said, I don't want one.
I'm sorry, I though you didn't want an actual VPN with adblocking features.

Yes, it uses a VPN connection, but I believe that's your only option for system-wide adblocking without rooting your phone.

Reactions: brod56

brod56

Level 15
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 13, 2017
I'm sorry, I though you didn't want an actual VPN with adblocking features.

Yes, it uses a VPN connection, but I believe that's your only option for system-wide adblocking without rooting your phone.

No problem, yeah it will be hard to find a decent solution which doesn't run in the background constantly.

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
Can I change the DNS of all networks, including GSM networks, without messing with build.prop?
I know it's possible to change the Dns for a individual wifi spot, but I wonder if I can apply it system wide.
I'm afraid it's not possible, you have to change DNS for each wifi hotspot.
this app can help you to change DNS of wifi access point easier but it would take 5-10mins to learn how to use it first
when you click apply, this will apply the DNSes + current IP address -> in other word, it fills all the info in the second screenshot for you. After finishing, you should disable the DNS so it will revert to DHCP like in the first screenshot

change-wifi-ip-address-android-1.jpg

Engelsiz : DNS Changer - Android Apps on Google Play

Last edited:

brod56

Level 15
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 13, 2017
I'm afraid it's not possible, you have to change DNS for each wifi hotspot.
thí app can help you to change DNS of wifi access point easier but it would take 5-10mins to learn how to use it first
when you click apply, this will apply the DNSes + current IP address -> in other word, it fills all the info in the second screenshot for you. After finishing, you should disable the DNS so it will revert to DHCP like in the first screenshot

change-wifi-ip-address-android-1.jpg

Engelsiz : DNS Changer - Android Apps on Google Play

Thank you. Actually, I discovered that this app has a function to change 3g dns without root, but it needs premium version.
Does that actually work or is it a gimmick?

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
Thank you. Actually, I discovered that this app has a function to change 3g dns without root, but it needs premium version.
Does that actually work or is it a gimmick?
I have no idea because I don't have the pro version
I use an Samsung Android and do not see Adhell listed in the store.
because it has been reported for violating google and samsung's policy. actually, it's hidden. I could search the app only after I installed it from the external source
there is adhell2 on xda but it never works for me

I tried to download the older version but it didnt work also because samsung patched it on their server. Finally, I found adhell version 1.5.6 worked perfectly
I forgot where I downloaded the app but maybe this

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016

If you use a 3rd-party VPN then use of any DNS service will not be helpful since the VPN's DNS will override it

I think Adguard DNS will be useful if you use with Tor, right?

Thanks

Reactions: Sunshine-boy

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Either DNS changes or Adguard. Adguard isn't a VPN, rather it creates a local VPN loopback, a sort of VDOM which blocks the ads on the device then passes through traffic for forwarding. Those are the best solutions IMO.

With DNS change the only problem with this approach is, that for Android there are strict rules about who and how DNS can be changed. Normally changing the DNS directly needs ROOT access (i.e. your android device to be rooted). In order to work around this issue, the app for Android creates a local VPN (Virtual Private Network) and all of your apps/browser traffic is routed through this VPN. This VPN is carefully configured to only modify the DNS settings of your network, while preserving your internet speed and not sending out any traffic to external VPN servers.

If you are referring to Adguard for Android it still prevents another VPN app from operating
Сan I use a different VPN app along with AdGuard?

Unfortunately, it is impossible to run two VPNs at the same time on Android, but there are some ways to circumvent this limitation. If your device is rooted, or if you only care about blocking ads in WiFi networks, you can switch AdGuard to proxy mode and let any other app to use VPN. Additionally, some VPNs allow the use of upstream proxy (e.g. PIA VPN, Nord VPN) — check if your specific VPN provides this option.

AdGuard — Adblock for Android | Overview | AdGuard

It seems the use of proxy for Adguard is restricted to WiFi only and NOT for 3G/4G networks

So, either method seems not workable if you intend to use a 3rd-party VPN to hide your IP address

Last edited:

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
If you use a 3rd-party VPN then use of any DNS service will not be helpful since the VPN's DNS will override it

I think Adguard DNS will be useful if you use with Tor, right?

Thanks
I have no idea because I never use a VPN on my phone due to battery and problem
I have a samsung with adhell with customized filters + naked browser with easylist, some regional blocklists so I already have a system-wise adblocker with ublock-like browsing experience

Handsome Recluse

Level 23
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 17, 2016
I have no idea because I never use a VPN on my phone due to battery and problem
I have a samsung with adhell with customized filters + naked browser with easylist, some regional blocklists so I already have a system-wise adblocker with ublock-like browsing experience
Does Naked Browser have cosmetic filtering?

brod56

Level 15
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 13, 2017
I have no idea because I don't have the pro version

because it has been reported for violating google and samsung's policy. actually, it's hidden. I could search the app only after I installed it from the external source
there is adhell2 on xda but it never works for me

I tried to download the older version but it didnt work also because samsung patched it on their server. Finally, I found adhell version 1.5.6 worked perfectly
I forgot where I downloaded the app but maybe this

I've actually used AdHell2 from xda just fine, only moved to Adaway because it's even better.
Shame that these two options won't be available on the little boy XZ1 compact.

brod56

Level 15
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 13, 2017
Well, I could always use Firefox Mobile with uBlock Origin, the change would be easy since Firefox for PCs is now very nice. But the Android app is still horrible, unfortunately.

Reactions: Deletedmessiah
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.