Any reliable ad blockers for Android without root?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Handsome Recluse

Level 23
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 17, 2016
Well, I could always use Firefox Mobile with uBlock Origin, the change would be easy since Firefox for PCs is now very nice. But the Android app is still horrible, unfortunately.
I heard Beta/Nightly would better.
I think it's not because the synthetic test said no but it's can be possible
but cosmetic filtering will cause significant battery consumption
What test?

Deletedmessiah

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 16, 2017
Well, I could always use Firefox Mobile with uBlock Origin, the change would be easy since Firefox for PCs is now very nice. But the Android app is still horrible, unfortunately.
Someone on some site mentioned that Android Firefox will see performance improvements on Firefox 60 or something, and not with 57 like on PCs. But take this information with a grain of salt.

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
Adguard DNS doesn't work for me :( idk why but every time tried it I could see ads are in place.

what is it?:D nvm found it:Virtual hosting - Wikipedia
perhaps, adguard has no rules for adservers in your country. Same for me. I had to add some rules myself to block adservers here using adhell and naked browser

Sunshine-boy

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2017
So Useless to me... I prefer DNS watch which uses TCP(safer)! Adguard DNS is not secured with Dnssec which is important for me.

Reactions: Deletedmessiah

brod56

Level 15
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 13, 2017
Someone on some site mentioned that Android Firefox will see performance improvements on Firefox 60 or something, and not with 57 like on PCs. But take this information with a grain of salt.
I really hope so! I will have no problem switching to Firefox as long as it provides similar experience to Chrome.
Right now, its pretty lame. No swipe down to tabs, slow scrolling, blurred themes.

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
What about when searching for ads/advertising or adidas on google?
Yeah, they said Firefox Quantum improvements isn't fully implemented yet on Android.
I see no ads wheb search addidas on my browser

Handsome Recluse

Level 23
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 17, 2016
AdBlock Browser updated after Firefox Quantum was released so they should be the same version. You could also use Firefox Focus or Brave or Samsung Internet with AdGuard.

RoboMan

Level 34
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
I use Adguard app (not from the Play Store but from their website). It's not free but it's very useful.

Reactions: harlan4096

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Shortlisting now for those which can block ads in apps and browser (no priority sequence here just listing them)

1) Adguard for Android
2) Blokada
3) Block This
4) Seven AdClear
5) DNS66
6) NetGuard (a firewall) with adblocking - need to download outside Google Play Store
7) Adhell/Adhell 2

I have tested Adguard (paid), DNS66, Block This, NetGuard & Blokada and they fail to block ads in Clean Master (free) and Solitaire game

Seven AdClear's privacy policy don't look good

SEVEN - Privacy Policy

ELI5: AdClear Ad Blocker Privacy Policy? • r/androidapps

Which is better for non rooted phones adguard or adclear? • r/androidapps

Adhell has been superseded by Adhell 2 and use of Adhell 2 is a hassle in getting the developer key which works for 3 months only

Some info on the above adblockers here

Dns66 vs Block-This ad blockers • r/androidapps

Still looking for the best adblocker without root :rolleyes:

Last edited:

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Nothing really satisfying choice for sure.
Not really.

After much testing I have settled with Adguard for Android for its many features

The important change is to remove Clean Master (free) and replaced with Power Clean (free). Although both have ads but the ads in Power Clean can be removed both by Adguard and Blokada

Clean Master (free) really have some persistent ads that cannot be removed even by Adguard for Android (paid). Those mentioned free adblockers can't remove the ads too

For browser ads blocking I'm using Crystal (content ad blocker) and Samsung default Disconnect tracking blocker in Samsung Internet Browser. And content blocker, Disconnect for Samsung (block trackers), and the default offensive ad blocker for Yandex Browser with Protect

:)

Last edited:

Deletedmessiah

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 16, 2017
Not really.

After much testing I have settled with Adguard for Android for its many features

The important change is to remove Clean Master (free) and replaced with Power Clean (free). Although both have ads but the ads in Power Clean can be removed both by Adguard and Blokada

Clean Master (free) really have some persistent ads that cannot be removed even by Adguard for Android (paid). Those mentioned free adblockers can't remove the ads too

For browser ads blocking I'm using Crystal (content ad blocker) and Samsung default Disconnect tracking blocker in Samsung Internet Browser. And content blocker, Disconnect for Samsung (block trackers), and the default offensive ad blocker for Yandex Browser with Protect

:)
Not for me though. But Adguard really is the best out there for non rooted phones.
Good thing you removed Clean Master, not a good app. I'd avoid anything from Cheetah Mobile although they seem to have a few good apps.

brod56

Level 15
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 13, 2017
Can anyone take a look at this app?
If it isn't a scam, then this could work just as Adaway and all our problems would be solved.
Edit: Forget it, I just noticed in the screenshots that it simply creates a VPN connection just like any other. Damn.

Last edited:

amico81

Level 21
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 10, 2017
I use DNS66 with 2 dns-server only from Adguard. it works awesome.
Perfect browsing speed and no ads.:love:

Attachments

• Screenshot_20171004-194517.png
    Screenshot_20171004-194517.png
    136.7 KB · Views: 442
  • Screenshot_20171004-194540.png
    Screenshot_20171004-194540.png
    179.7 KB · Views: 702
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.