Any reliable ad blockers for Android without root?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dJim

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Mar 12, 2016
so.. theres not option to blocok those anoying ads ( most of them with malware ) without change dns ?..i really tired of those pages who abuse of redirects and spam ads

Reactions: brod56

brod56

Level 15
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 13, 2017
because you are playing with xposed module, and youtube is free it's not piracy just patched i think :D
Xposed is not piracy, nor is rooting or unlocking the bootloader. Lucky Patcher, on the other hand, is, because patching apks means most of the time stoling money from devs.

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Last edited:

Jehoshua

Jan 1, 2018
Dns66 or Blokada for non-rooted and AFWall+ for rooted, the last one is a firewall but you can modify the iptables easy including the exact dns server that you wanted and other cool stuff, since android lollipop the best way to set DNS is to iptables

Jehoshua

Jan 1, 2018
Afwall can be used alongside with blockada and you can set hosts files like adaway does. But you have to be rooted to modify iptables, is the best way to be secure in android

brod56

Level 15
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 13, 2017
How effective is blocking ads by modifying the DNS settings vs using ad blockers?

How to block Ads on Smartphone - Android and iOS

If you are rooted:
Just modify the hosts file (Adaway). No brainer choice

If you're not rooted:
Modifying DNS is simple and quick but only works in wifi network. Also, no element hiding supported.
Using an adblocker like Blokada supports element hiding and lte but will create a VPN connection constantly running in the back. No perfect solutions here.

Reactions: HarborFront

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I was doing my own research last few days and stumbled upon Blokada. It's a lot better than DNS66 which I found to not always work and then Adguard where it killed the battery, plus some other Certificate issues.

Based on my short time using these "adblockers for android", I also recommend Blokada.

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Apr 27, 2018
I use Adblock+,

Id like to use Adguard, but unless I unlock & root, i cannot use it whilst having my VPN connected.

Same goes for Blockada i believe as they both use a local vpn connection themselves.

However, if you do not use a VPN - both of these would be my recommendations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.