Advice Request Any update on Bitdefender 2022?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Anthony Qian

Level 9
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Apr 17, 2021
Bitdefender 2020 release date: July 17, 2019.
Bitdefender 2021 release date: July 22, 2020.

If there is no surprise, Bitdefender 2022 is going to be released soon. Is there any news on Bitdefender 2022 as of today, July 12?
In the 2022 version, what new and improved features do you anticipate? I personally hope to see the addition of HyperDetect to the Home edition. 😀

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
If I remember correctly they announced last year that won't release any yearly version for their product anymore. They'll keep adding new features if required. So anything new will be added as soon as they are ready without the users having to wait for a whole year.
Many AVs are already doing this for some years now and IMO a few others who haven't done this yet should do this also. This is the correct model. Releasing a so-called new version every year is an old-school idea.

carl fish

Level 7
Verified
Mar 6, 2012
most antivirus companies release their major new features only on a yearly basis and that is definitely an old school idea, there is only a few that I know of that do it anytime for example avast and emsisoft while others only release patches, small program updates but nothing major throughout the year

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
most antivirus companies release their major new features only on a yearly basis and that is definitely an old school idea, there is only a few that I know of that do it anytime for example avast and emsisoft while others only release patches, small program updates but nothing major throughout the year
Avast is probably the best example. They are always releasing updates to improve their product and they also listen to their users. Avast's forum is very active. Yeah, Emsisoft, ESET, Norton, Avira, Panda, and a few others also follow this model now.

Anthony Qian

Level 9
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Apr 17, 2021
If I remember correctly they announced last year that won't release any yearly version for their product anymore. They'll keep adding new features if required. So anything new will be added as soon as they are ready without the users having to wait for a whole year.
Many AVs are already doing this for some years now and IMO a few others who haven't done this yet should do this also. This is the correct model. Releasing a so-called new version every year is an old-school idea.
Wow. Thanks for your information.
I do agree that modern AVs should release updates, major or minor, whenever they are ready to do so, rather than once a year. But I couldn't recall any major updates released by Bitdefender since the release of the so-called Bitdefender 2021 last year.:confused:

Anthony Qian

Level 9
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Apr 17, 2021
Avast is probably the best example. They are always releasing updates to improve their product and they also listen to their users. Avast's forum is very active. Yeah, Emsisoft, ESET, Norton, Avira, Panda, and a few others also follow this model now.
Norton's forum is a very bad example. All members in the beta testing board are talking about Crypto!!! Members' requests for new security features are almost totally ignored by the forum administrators! :(

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
Wow. Thanks for your information.
I do agree that modern AVs should release updates, major or minor, whenever they are ready to do so, rather than once a year. But I couldn't recall any major updates released by Bitdefender since the release of the so-called Bitdefender 2021 last year.:confused:
They have mostly released bug fix updates this year I think. But they have probably made other improvements protection-wise. I have seen a lot of cloud-based detection in Bitdefender lately when I test it against malware which I rarely saw in the past. These detections won't appear in Virustotal. So protection wise it is still one of the best.

carl fish

Level 7
Verified
Mar 6, 2012
It's a shame that more antivirus companies are not moving towards some kind of default deny protection for unknown files not detected by any other components because detection is very old school as well, with default deny though it would hard to find the right balance of ease of use very few alerts for novice users and easy ways to unblock files that are not threats, for example when I used to use comodo for me it had to many alerts and it was difficult for me to manage where as with Kaspersky you can set it to auto deny unknown programs along with the option not to trust digital signatures and its easy to manage the untrusted files, for me its the same with voodoo shield I find it very easy to understand and use

Last edited:

kumar484

Jul 21, 2021
actually the antivirus engine cant be update in normal condition like patches etc., so they need yearly update

Anthony Qian

Level 9
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Apr 17, 2021
actually the antivirus engine cant be update in normal condition like patches etc., so they need yearly update
Still no major update on Bitdefender as of today. The interval between major updates is actually longer than before. I think cancellation of yearly updates is to shorten that interval, but it seems like it is not the case.

Nightwater

Level 2
Jan 26, 2021
Avast which is now Norton, are always releasing updates because their program is full of bugs, good antiviruses don't need many updates ;)

Reactions: amico81

Nightwater

Level 2
Jan 26, 2021
You're wrong, most antivirus and behavior blocker update mechanisms through silent updates, in the case of G Data, F-Secure, BitDefender and others, the annual version update is nothing more than pure marketing

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.