Anyone use uninstallers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ytbro00

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Jul 31, 2014
Usually uninstalling a software leaves leftovers and I've heard that Revo uninstaller is a good way to solve this. Any thoughts or do you guys just use the default?

Reactions: Jack

WinXPert

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jan 9, 2013
There was a discussions about uninstallers a few days ago, maybe Chrome can provide the link there.

No I don't use them anymore.

Reactions: Malware1

software182

Level 12
Verified
Mar 4, 2014
I have 2 most powerful uninstaller so far, Total Uninstall Pro & Revo Uninstaller Pro.

if you have much $$$, i recommend you buy 1 on of them :)

or use free alternative like TheRainbow Fish said :p

Anupam

Level 21
Verified
Well-known
Jul 7, 2014
revo uninstaller for me ..using it from long time and it's doing it's job great...
but one thing, make sure you are installing your product in dedicated folder ( most software automatically does this). I accidentally installed one software on main folder and when I uninstalled it, revo deleted all other files from it too.

Aura

Level 20
Verified
Jul 29, 2014
Revo Uninstaller is a very good one. It does a good job, removes a lot of leftovers on poorly coded softwares and is also simple of use.
They have a free version but also a portable version that you can keep and use only when it's needed. I've been used it for a while and it never deceived me so far.

Reactions: Malware1

Oxygen

Level 44
Verified
Feb 23, 2014
I use Revo Uninstaller and it does a great job, but recently I got in the habit of uninstalling the default way without uninstallers.

Reactions: Rahadian Putra

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
I mostly use IObit Uninstaller since it does an excellent job and doesn't require you to select keys, files and folders to delete like Revo does.
It is very accurate with what it automatically removes. You have to be careful with Revo and never select to delete the main registry entries only the sub-keys. It accidental did that one time and it cause a lot of problems.

Enjoy!! :D

MrXidus

Super Moderator (Leave of absence)
Apr 17, 2011
I've tried a good handful of them, Revo Uninstaller, IObit Uninstaller, Geek Uninstaller, Wise Program Uninstaller, Absolute Uninstaller and I've found that while all of them detect left over files in a way, they all fail to detect everything left over as my manual browsing for left over traces shows.

I then tried Total Uninstall's "Monitored Programs" feature and that proved to be highly effective surprisingly.

Quote from the website description: http://www.martau.com/
Total Uninstall utility can monitor new installations.

With "Monitored Programs" module it helps to monitor any changes made to your system during the installation of a new program. It allows you to perform a complete uninstall without having to rely on the supplied built-in uninstaller, which can leave files or changes behind.

The only downside is it's not free.

It's up to you to either use free uninstallers and put up with missed left over traces and then manually browse folders such as /Temp/ /Program Data/ /Common Files/ /Roaming/ /Local/ etc to remove the final left over traces. That's not even including the Registry.

Or give Total Uninstall's "Monitor Programs" feature a go.

Thanks.

Myna

Level 10
Verified
Jan 16, 2014
I use Revo Uninstaller Pro and I'm quite happy with it. Revo provides you a list of files/folders/registry entries that it's gonna delete. You can select individual files/folders/registry entries or mark them all and delete everything. So technically you're always in control.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.