App Review AppGuard (Demonstration and Reviews)

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.
Content created by
Shadowra
F

ForgottenSeer 69673

Sure. 😉 Lifetime also, latest version. I am using it with it as if Appguard misses something SD will rollback the changes. So far for SD was not the case to do anything.
I would have liked to see Shadowra test it this way too. Along with An Adguard extension for Edge and Using FAB set to only allow in and out connections for Edge and just MS Defender. (y)

bisjap

Feb 21, 2023
Hello and welcome to the AppGuard demo and test!
This software is not an antivirus, but its protection function is interesting.

It is an "Anti-exe" software, in other words, it will stop any suspicious launch (which is made by a malware or by you).
The software is easy to use, there is only one interface!
Settings are available to fine-tune the software.

On the other hand, what I like less, it blocks... EVERYTHING... really EVERYTHING!
Very effective against malware attacks, signed programs, it blocks them too!
I would have liked it to allow signed programs and block the rest (this can be remedied by switching it to medium mode, but you lose protection).

@Andrew3000 request

Watch review in Odysee
You can add trusted publishers to allow needed signed programs.

F

ForgottenSeer 97327

By the way Max, I can't save money because I still use the latest lifetime version. I am not paying a yearly fee. Have you read this entire thread?
No I have not, but when your life time lisence ends :) you might as well save some money and use WDAC when your config is limited to Microsoft only plus Appguard signed. Less is more.

Last edited by a moderator:

Zero Knowledge

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 2, 2016
I still have a V4 lifetime license too. Sometimes I wonder if I'm wasting $40 a year on the AppGuard current version but then I'm not using it? What!?!?!?

I can eat the cost because I don't really want to buy it again for $90. When it launched there was a huge case for buying AppGuard but now there are many good free alternatives like Andy Ful's H_C & SWH and cheaper alternatives like VS and OSArmor. The only thing is SRP is broken in Windows 11 so maybe back to AppGuard sometime soon.

F

ForgottenSeer 69673

I still have a V4 lifetime license too. Sometimes I wonder if I'm wasting $40 a year on the AppGuard current version but then I'm not using it? What!?!?!?

I can eat the cost because I don't really want to buy it again for $90. When it launched there was a huge case for buying AppGuard but now there are many good free alternatives like Andy Ful's H_C & SWH and cheaper alternatives like VS and OSArmor. The only thing is SRP is broken in Windows 11 so maybe back to AppGuard sometime soon.
Hey Zero. Yes i used Voodoo for a long time and my free lic is still good till 2025. Also used Andys great programs. I guess I have used them all beings I was one of the original 1000 members @ Wilders. Why wouldn't have I ? LOL

EDIT: Once you reinstall Appguard and tweak it. Load up Shadow Defender and grab all the exe's MSI's and scripts you want at Malwarebazzar and see how vit goes. Please post back here after. Oh, and don't be afraid of scheduled tasks wink wink cruel.

Last edited by a moderator:

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
AppGuard is designed and marketed for corporate users. They do offer the solo edition for home users and SMBs but that is not what AppGuard is all about. Very, very hard to get decent support, and correct usage of the software is not intuitive at all.
I agree but update, I installed AGsolo about 3 months ago, somehow I paid $39 for 1-year license, within 24 hours it updated to version 6.7.65.4. I emailed support a question and they replied with an ok answer within 12 hours. AG does block lots, so I set it to record its events without bothering me. win10 22H2 is running fine with AG with ESET for AV. Not sure I'll renew for $89 though. :unsure:

Zero Knowledge

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 2, 2016
Not sure I'll renew for $89 though
You shouldn't have too. I haven't had any changes to the original Covid price I paid so far anyway. That may change though in future, who knows? The cost of renewal should cost the same as signup. Check the FastSpring link in your order summary/delivery. It should state the cost per year, renewal date and your payment method .(y)

And if they do change it and charge you more just do a charge back on CC/PP. It's also very scummy :poop::poop::poop: charging you more each year for renewing licenses (looking at you AV/AM companies who do this (n)), the backlash from people towards practices like that is huge.

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
If you go to the Blue Ridge networks site at the following link and click Buy Now you can purchase it for $39.95 (US) per year.
Endpoint Security Solutions and Cybersecurity Company

That's where I purchased my last license, and my account shows that it will renew at that price when the next year starts.
...that's the link I used a few months ago to buy for $39, but tonight 22 Feb the price is $69. :(

Reactions: Dave Russo

Zero Knowledge

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 2, 2016
Check the delivery confirmation email NOT the website link. It will have a FastSpring order link, click that and it will take you to your account.

Reactions: simmerskool

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
You shouldn't have too. I haven't had any changes to the original Covid price I paid so far anyway. That may change though in future, who knows? The cost of renewal should cost the same as signup. Check the FastSpring link in your order summary/delivery. It should state the cost per year, renewal date and your payment method .(y)

And if they do change it and charge you more just do a charge back on CC/PP. It's also very scummy :poop::poop::poop: charging you more each year for renewing licenses (looking at you AV/AM companies who do this (n)), the backlash from people towards practices like that is huge.
Thanks! I hope you are correct about the renewal remaining $39. NOTE the blueridge link mentioned earlier for the $39 price is $69 tonight, 22 Feb.

Check the delivery confirmation email NOT the website link. It will have a FastSpring order link, click that and it will take you to your account.
yes understood, I'll look for for that email. The point, tonight a new license is $69 at blueridge url.

Reactions: Zero Knowledge

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
I am wondering how meaningful AG's features like memory guard and guarded applications are at this point in context with current Windows development. There are times when these features can interfere with useful functions. There are so many blocks reported by AG that you have to assume that some beneficial things are being blocked - especially since their support for AG Solo is so limited. (Sidebar- looking at the AG activity report, MS Edge must try to read the memory of almost everything.) Last November, I emailed them to ask if AG supports Windows 11, and this was their reply - "We are currently rigorously testing windows 11 with AppGuard Solo. Many customers have used it without any issues. We haven’t announced official support until the testing is over, but if we do find anything it will be patched in the next possible release." I realize an app like this doesn't need constant updates, but I would expect some tweaks with a new OS version. Three months later, I have to wonder how "rigorous" the testing has been. :)
Yes my experience too. The first few weeks of using AG, all the blocks, eg, MS Edge being blocked from so many things, was a concern to me, but overall seems not to affect Edge or win10.

Thanks for your reply. I was aware of that rule of thumb, but the massive number of alerts lately has made me wonder. For example, just in the last 3 hours AppGuard reports that it stopped 5,348 suspicious activities. Virtually all of them are about preventing Microsoft Edge from reading memory of almost everything in the system (even when it's not showing as open in the tray - obviously still running in the background). I assume that this is standard for Edge, and I wouldn't know about it without MemoryGuard. A stunning amount of activity - it went up to 5,382 while typing this. The other variable is this new machine came with Windows 11, and it's hard to know if AG broke something or just the inherent bugs. :)
current count 5,626 blocked events. but that's since 2 days ago, but then I'm using this vm without AG 98.7% of the time. :ROFLMAO: but the Host is protected by AG.

I have been using AppGuard for quite a while, and I have read most, if not all, the posts here and elsewhere. The thing that I find frustrating is why does AppGuard US post the following on their website if they don't want to sell and support the Solo product? I don't think that it's all that complex - it just needs periodic attention like all apps. It's been very bizarre, to say the least!

AppGuard Solo​

AppGuard Solo is a self-managed zero trust host-based endpoint protection agent for laptops and desktops. Its highly effective set and forget protection makes it ideal for small businesses and non-technical users. AOL has been white labeling AppGuard Solo to its customers for many years. It coexists with nearly all other security agents yet requires none of the care and attention they do
my experience was the same as yours until I realized that all of the blocks and suspicious events listed are not a concern unless something does not work as expected. For the past couple of months, I just let it run and do its thing. My usual problem, I forget to reduce the protection in order to install an app, and even then things merely come to a stop, so far nothing broken.

Reactions: Zero Knowledge

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
No AppGuard hater here. Hope you outlive your AppGuard lifetime license.
technically, I think I also have a life-time AG license since somewhere in version 3, but what I recall from several years ago, if you uninstalled AG, and then later reinstalled it, it created license issues for me. I think it got cleared up with support eventually, but then happened again, and finally left AG off my pc. Recently bought the current v6 and luckily it is running smoothly on my win10, and I'm "afraid" to uninstall it for fear of losing my current annually renewable license which may, or may not, renew for $39. (also no reason so far to uninstall it) Looks like I'm holding a copy v4.4.6.1, looks like I have copies going back to v3.3.
Edit I wonder if life-time means the life of your pc, rather than your biological life? what happens if some of us make to the Singularity??

Off topic aside, some favor continuing with AG v4.6, ok with me, but also recall "uproar" about using CF because it had not been updated for 2+ years. Doesn't it depend on the software, how it does what it does reference how often it needs updates :unsure: Or more of comodo as company is not favored, so (n) whereas AG might be especially if it was more open to home users.

I had no idea AG was posting videos every month, thanks @ticklemefeet IIRC

MIDave

Level 1
Verified
Dec 24, 2017
Yes my experience too. The first few weeks of using AG, all the blocks, eg, MS Edge being blocked from so many things, was a concern to me, but overall seems not to affect Edge or win10.

current count 5,626 blocked events. but that's since 2 days ago, but then I'm using this vm without AG 98.7% of the time. :ROFLMAO: but the Host is protected by AG.

my experience was the same as yours until I realized that all of the blocks and suspicious events listed are not a concern unless something does not work as expected. For the past couple of months, I just let it run and do its thing. My usual problem, I forget to reduce the protection in order to install an app, and even then things merely come to a stop, so far nothing broken.
I agree. Even though you would think that all of the blocked events would have an impact, I haven't found anything broken either. :)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.