App Review AppGuard (Demonstration and Reviews)

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.
Content created by
Shadowra
F

ForgottenSeer 69673

Using AppGuard is one thing, but using outdated software (like ver. 4) is another thing. AppGuard Solo has got several important updates to be most compatible with Windows 10. So, there can be problems with using AppGuard 4 on some computers. Anyway, the security abilities of ver. 4 are still very strong. If one uses AppGuard 4 at home without problems, then it is a good solution.
If you look back at either this forum or Wilders, you will find Lockdown mentioning Appguard 4.4.6.1 is almost the same as Solo ;)
Oh and remember Umbra? He beta tested for Appguard as well as was known to come back here too.
Andy can you tell me the big difference in my version compared to Solo? Many people were testing the beta of my version on Windows 10. I am currently using it on Enterprise..

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
The request was made to me and I did not know him
Yes, I saw on your profile page this request coming from... No problem to me, I just said it makes no sense to me personally, very expensive security software.

There is no proof for that, but yes, I can feel his spirit in several posts.:)
Anyway, even if this is true he has probably good reasons to post anonymously and I respect his choice.
No proof for that, seriously? you just can't accept to be wrong, he wasn't that friendly guy rather a kind of stalker for certain people here in the forum.
Anyway, you can believe what you want. I just said the opposite from my own experience, even to warn others about this person. I done here finally ;)

F

ForgottenSeer 92963

Andy Ful

Appguard and even Hard Configurator don't come close to the level of customization we have in simple software restriction policy, you can easily edit the extensions you want to be blocked, lolbins (AWL bypass Lolbins) or folders you want to be blocked (some windows folders are user writable). the only issues i have with it is that we can't modify the default whitelist and Also a user can easily modify the softwarepolicy.ini file located in C:\Windows\SoftwarePolicy\ folder.
But that applies only for people who know how to setup SRP. SWH and H_C make using SRP a lot easier. To achieve ease of use H_C does a lot for you (try manually securing LNK for instance) and prevents people from making shoot in the foot errors. Also the included knowledge (protecting Windows folders, adding file types to protect, blocking sponsors to mention a few others) really ads value IMO compared to other SRP solutions (like GPedit or SSRP)

F

ForgottenSeer 69673

But that applies only for people who to setup SRP. SWH and H_C make using SRP a lot easier. To achieve ease of use H_C does a lot for you (try manually securing LNK for instance) and prevents people from making shoot in the foot errors. Also the included knowledge (protecting Windows folders, adding file types to protect, bloxking sponsors to mention a few others) really ads value IMO.
Kees my man, have you ever used Appguard?

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Using AppGuard is one thing, but using outdated software (like ver. 4) is another thing. AppGuard Solo has got several important updates to be most compatible with Windows 10. So, there can be problems with using AppGuard 4 on some computers. Anyway, the security abilities of ver. 4 are still very strong. If one uses AppGuard 4 at home without problems, then it is a good solution.
But if Windows Defender, it needs to have the config adjusted.

Andy Ful

From Hard_Configurator Tools
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
No proof for that, seriously? you just can't accept to be wrong, he wasn't that friendly guy rather a kind of stalker for certain people here in the forum.
Anyway, you can believe what you want. I just said the opposite from my own experience, even to warn others about this person. I done here finally ;)

I did not say that he was always friendly - his posts were sometimes too sharp, often sarcastic, and forthright. This probably could offend some MT members.(y)
You probably have the right reasons for your opinion about him, but believe me, neither my opinion nor yours is an objective one. His posts indicated that he was an interesting and knowledgeable person. Furthermore, his viewpoint on many topics was uncommon and sensible. I cannot resist liking such people.:)

Andy Ful

From Hard_Configurator Tools
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
Andy can you tell me the big difference in my version compared to Solo? Many people were testing the beta of my version on Windows 10. I am currently using it on Enterprise..

I am not sure, because I used AppGuard Solo (early beta) only for a few days while trying to bypass its protection.
You should check which version started to protect LSASS.

F

ForgottenSeer 69673

If you go to the Blue Ridge networks site at the following link and click Buy Now you can purchase it for $39.95 (US) per year.
Endpoint Security Solutions and Cybersecurity Company

That's where I purchased my last license, and my account shows that it will renew at that price when the next year starts.
Good find!!!!! Maybe some that were scared off by the 90 dollar price will try it now. BTW, do you still use it and if so, what are your thoughts about it?

Reactions: shmu26
F

ForgottenSeer 92963

Kees my man, have you ever used Appguard?
Yes, I had telephone calls with their first representative on Wilders and one of their lead dev for AppGuard Solo, but one of the board members decided to kill the consumer market product (AppGuard Solo).

They used a rainmaker (some high ranking militair) to obtain a large US contract. This was a lot easier with much higher turnover and way less hassle than trying to fight themselves into the consumer market (the anti exec is a small niche within consumer market).

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: simmerskool

MIDave

Level 1
Verified
Dec 24, 2017
Good find!!!!! Maybe some that were scared off by the 90 dollar price will try it now. BTW, do you still use it and if so, what are your thoughts about it?
I have used AppGuard since version 4, and I generally like it. If I had to pay $90 per year, I would probably opt-out. I feel that it is a more comprehensive solution than SRP-based solutions given its memory guard and guarded application features. The downside is that the support of this "consumer" version is marginal at best. Also, I have observed some drag on performance at times when opening MS Office documents and other file explorer related tasks. I have also become a fan of Hard_Configurator, and I would like to learn more about some of the differences between these apps. Perhaps we could start a thread for that purpose.

I hope this helps. :)

F

ForgottenSeer 69673

Yes, I had telephone calls with their first representative on Wilders and one of their lead dev for AppGuard Solo, but one of the board members decided to kill the consumer market product (AppGuard Solo).

They used a rainmaker (some high ranking militair) to obtain a large US contract. This was a lot easier with much higher turnover and way less hassle than trying to fight themselves into the consumer market (the anti exec is a small niche within consumer market).
So you think AG is more of ab anti exe than a SRP then? If it were a SRP, that is not any different than a company IT person setting one up?

F

ForgottenSeer 69673

Quite interesting that blue planet works sells appguard for much more when they have a joint venture with the original company who developed it.
Blue Ridge Networks announces contribution of its AppGuard® line of business to new Japanese joint venture company Blue Planet-works. - Blue Ridge Networks

They might be marketing appguard to bigger companies so they jack up the price.
Maybe MIDave the new member that has three posts and joined Dec 24th 2017 could shed a little more light on the matter?

Shadowra

Level 33
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Tester
Well-known
Sep 2, 2021
There's also Tech Fortress from AOL which is a rebrand of Appguard for 3.99 a month, unsure about the version though.
Tech Fortress

IougXK02.png

:D

MIDave

Level 1
Verified
Dec 24, 2017
:Maybe MIDave the new member that has three posts and joined Dec 24th 2017 could shed a little more light on the matter
The first time I saw the $39.95 deal was in 2020 and that has continued to be the renewal price (and current price at Blue Ridge). Blue Ridge maintained their networks business and still sells AppGuard products. I have also seen other resellers offering AppGuard Solo at prices between the Blue Ridge price and price on the AppGuard site. Apparently, they are expanding on what they started with the AOL branded product "Tech Fortress" by adding more outlets. It also appears that AppGuard has significantly trimmed their US work force, so that probably accounts for the spotty support of the Solo product. I originally came here for information on AG, but I'll try to branch out going forward. :)

F

ForgottenSeer 92963

So you think AG is more of ab anti exe than a SRP then? If it were a SRP, that is not any different than a company IT person setting one up?
No AG is more SRP with Anti-Exploit capabilities (default deny in user space and limited user sandbox internet facing apps), but the SRP and anti-exec (e.g. VoodooShield's smart mode) apply similar (not the same) protection. The market which they target overlap, sorry for the confusion.

On Vista it was possible to run applications as basic user, putting them in a LUA-container. With Windows 7 SRP lost this capability. AG still offers this option (UAC is not a security boundery, SRP is). The added benefit of AG was the extra Anti_Exploit protection, but IMO with Windows10 this advantage sort of disappeared with MD's Anti-Exploit features and MD's cloud protection (zero tolerance = block).

So while technically AG still has some extra's compared to SRP, with win10 and higher you are right AG would not be any different than an IT guy setting up SRP and MD (exploit proytection and whitelist cloud zero tolerance).

Hope this answers your question.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.