Appguard Review

• Thread starter Deleted member 178
  • Start date

EASTER

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
May 9, 2017
If one is using AppGuard, then they should not be installing new softs all the time.

Anyhow, it is very simple to install new softs - just lower protection to Allow Installs.

If one is a user that "wants to use stuff," and is constantly changing their system, then AppGuard is probably not for them. The product is meant to lock the system - and a user constantly changing the system willy-nilly isn't keeping the system locked.

Indeed. You guys put a tightness into this project like is not been seen in awhile IMO. At least from my standpoint.

Sort of brings back memories of Deep Freeze and how rock solid it was to changes. Well this might not be virtualization but it certainly does Lock Down the most critical avenues of target value and puts a seal on them.

Few apps impress me. This one fits solidly in that List. :)

D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
In the current cyber-landscape, there is no room for mistakes. The ultimate truth is that everything can be compromised someday, so locking the system is the only serious choice. It was my philosophy since from the start , and i won't change it.

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
I think the only problem is the extra work when you want to install something. You just have to toggle it though.
I rarely install new software so that shouldn't be a problem. Even if I forgot to toggle it for updates AppGuard tells you when it blocks something, right?
Lockdown Mode right away, i started from there when i used it for the fist time, then i tailored AG to my needs.
Got it. I can deal with any legitimate blockages as they come. I'll probably use the link @Deletedmessiah posted and give it a look-see later today. Obviously won't be the most up-to-date version but hopefully it'll give me an idea about how it works and if I like it enough to purchase it.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
I rarely install new software so that shouldn't be a problem. Even if I forgot to toggle it for updates AppGuard tells you when it blocks something, right?.
Yes

I'll probably use the link @Deletedmessiah posted and give it a look-see later today. Obviously won't be the most up-to-date version but hopefully it'll give me an idea about how it works and if I like it enough to purchase it
If just for testing it is ok, but if you decide to buy it , take the v5 , since v4 is dead.

v4 (from the link) = current v5 but with new licensing system.

ZeroDay

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2013
Is there any 30 day Trials for AppGuard or just the 14 day trial? Thanks for the share by the way Unbra.

Reactions: SHvFl

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
There is only the one linked, and i wonder why it is still up, since BRN doesn't offer trials anymore.
It's up because people that have the old licenses still need an installer. Only way to stop that is the disable all 4 licenses and issue licenses for 5 which might be hard depending on number of licenses.

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
good point
I didn't think it either until i was thinking the other day of adding appguard at a family member's pc i have to fix often. Lets just say it's not easy finding that installer. Lol.
I had to postpone it until my next visit because i wanted to give him the 4 version so i can buy the 5 for myself. :p

Mr.X

Level 8
Verified
Well-known
Aug 2, 2014
It's up because people that have the old licenses still need an installer. Only way to stop that is the disable all 4 licenses
Yes. User could and evetually will need 4.x installers. Dismantling v4.x licensing system is not the only way, in fact it is wrong. BRN should cut off 4.x installers from their public servers so not available for anyone anymore, just available for legitimate customers asked via email.

ParaXY

Level 6
Verified
Mar 14, 2017
Thanks for everyone's helpful replies.

I have good news, look what I am now running:

upload_2017-5-20_14-44-52.png

Just using defaults at this stage and have AppLocker disabled!

D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
For some reason when I change to lock down mode I get this:
first you are with the trial or you purchased the license?
did you do some tweaks? if not, uninstall AG (while online, important if you are licensed) and reinstall it. to see if it fixes the issue.

ParaXY

Level 6
Verified
Mar 14, 2017
first you are with the trial or you purchased the license?
did you do some tweaks? if not, uninstall AG (while online, important if you are licensed) and reinstall it. to see if it fixes the issue.

This was purchased and I have entered my license details. It activated successfully.

Ok so I can't uninstall AppGuard. I have checked "Stop self protection" and tried putting the slider to the "Off" mode and also tried stopping the service but every time I try to uninstall I get (even when logged in as my admin account):

upload_2017-5-20_15-24-39.png

upload_2017-5-20_15-24-46.png

I thought it may by AppLocker blocking something but it's not this as the logs are clear. Also tried making myself a Superuser but this didn't help.

Help please :cool:

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
@ParaXY Maybe you have things blocked with applocker? Did you disable that? If not disable that and also disable appguard and try again.

Peter2150

Level 7
Verified
Oct 24, 2015
1, When you ticked Stop self protection, did you do okay or did you click on the Apply button. I've done that to myself a few times.

2. What other security software do you have.

Reactions: SHvFl

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.