Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jun 4, 2017
Hi,

has anyone seen this before? AppGuard in LockedDown mode:

upload_2017-11-24_12-48-55.png

The private folder is the default one, out of the default appguard config...

Reactions: AtlBo and Syafiq

Glashouse

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jun 4, 2017
ok, thanks. Could you please be so kind to explain why this is expected? I would not expect AppGuard trying to access these folders....

ok, thanks. Could you please be so kind to explain why this is expected? I would not expect AppGuard trying to access these folders....

Programs\processes will read the file system. That includes MyPrivateFolder. When they read MyPrivateFolder, AppGuard will block the read - including a read by one of its own components such as AppGuardGUI.exe. To avoid unwanted MyPrivateFolder popups in the AppGuard GUI untick Privacy Mode popup and toaster. Both the popup and toaster are not needed. All that are needed are the built-in Windows notification for a Private Folder access violation. That way you will not be annoyed by AppGuard's very sensitive Privacy Mode protection that easily triggers the popup and toaster.

OK, thank you! Got it!

If you use Google Chrome, when you simply navigate to the Documents folder, AppGuard will throw alerts for Chrome attempting to read the MyPrivateFolder. People are constantly saying AppGuard is buggy garbage because of the multitude of various Privacy mode alerts because they don't understand why the alerts appear, the sensitivity of the product, etc.

Glashouse

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jun 4, 2017
If you use Google Chrome, when you simply navigate to the Documents folder, AppGuard will throw alerts for Chrome attempting to read the MyPrivateFolder. People are constantly saying AppGuard is buggy garbage because of the multitude of various Privacy mode alerts because they don't understand why the alerts appear, the sensitivity of the product, etc.

Using Chrome for browsing my files would not surprise me if I get alerts. If Chrome is trying to access my files without any need, so just querying my directory structure, this is strange.... I never said that this is the fault of AppGuard....

Using Chrome for browsing my files would not surprise me if I get alerts. If Chrome is trying to access my files without any need, so just querying my directory structure, this is strange.... I never said that this is the fault of AppGuard....

Lots of programs do stuff like query things in the file system that they do not need to do. I didn't say you said it was the fault of AppGuard. I just said there have been people in the past who have complained a lot about the privacy mode alerts. Lots of people think it is a bug, when it is not.

Reactions: shmu26
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.